Sign in to follow this  
Badgirl

Auction Buyouts

I have always understood a buyout to be an amount that if offered, would instantly end the auction and the item would be sold to that buyer.

Yet lately I have seen auctions that list a buyout as a range.

For example: a recent auction for a deed had a buyout of 100 - 120e. The seller however said if offered 100e they would let the auction run till the end.

Is that really considered a buyout? It sounds to me like it's just another bid. In that case why call it a buyout?

I have always understood a buyout to be an amount that if offered, would instantly end the auction and the item would be sold to that buyer.

Yet lately I have seen auctions that list a buyout as a range.

For example: a recent auction for a deed had a buyout of 100 - 120e. The seller however said if offered 100e they would let the auction run till the end.

Is that really considered a buyout? It sounds to me like it's just another bid. In that case why call it a buyout?

It is not. That auction also was a......Special case that GM's shut down for certain reasons from my understanding.

A buyout is something that, when met, is sold right then and there.

Not sure where you have seen these "Auctions" as I monitor them daily, only that one had it, and is (If i'm correct) Closed by gm's.

Don't judge that one post she is a bad example of how to handle deals she likes to add stipulations in her auctions if they are not going her way. I would just stay away from any dealings with her and save yourself the hassle. 

Any other normal person would set a hard buyout and the first one to accept it would be the winner. If a person is wanting to see what they can get and receive offers they usually run a price check or make me an offer type of deal in the sales section.

Edited by Kegan

I had the same confusion with  that particular auction and asked the same question of alliance mates. 

• Like 1

Just avoid that Alex girl with 1001 accounts.. like she sold off deed that was given to her, forcing a lot of suggestions (aka: not taking criticism), inciting drama by a questionable trade venture or talking down people that plays a lot... some of her worst posts are deleted from forum, still pity me those who thinks she is a victim. 

Buyout usually a single defined value or pm if the original poster is not sure. The second option is a bit obscure and not so popular.

• Like 1

there is no official auction rules.

Seller decides what he wants to take or not to take.

I just wish I knew what the buyout people accepted was sometimes when they don't list a hard number. I saw one a few days ago take a buyout with several days left on an auction I would have gone pretty darn high on :unsure:

If you are making an auction, you get to make the rules. It is good practice to either have a solid buyout number, or to mention you will hear offers and may accept.

I try to avoid the ones "taking offers" though because it generally becomes a game of bidding between you and however many other people interested in a buyout... But you'll have no idea who, or how many, or if there actually is anyone else lol.

• Like 1

I just wish I knew what the buyout people accepted was sometimes when they don't list a hard number. I saw one a few days ago take a buyout with several days left on an auction I would have gone pretty darn high on :unsure:

That is why you should always lead with your best bid ,you rarely see me bid more than a few times on an item, once for what i would like to pay then maybe one or two more as a well i might go that high type of thing.  I guess i have overpaid on a lot of auctions though and recantly i found myself in what appears to have been a few friends bidding me up on an auction of their buddys so i guess you always just have to be confident on what you want to pay and stick to your guns..idk

That is why you should always lead with your best bid ,you rarely see me bid more than a few times on an item, once for what i would like to pay then maybe one or two more as a well i might go that high type of thing. I guess i have overpaid on a lot of auctions though and recantly i found myself in what appears to have been a few friends bidding me up on an auction of their buddys so i guess you always just have to be confident on what you want to pay and stick to your guns..idk

Aye, I do my best to not bid against any friends, or even people I respect. Though I have in one or two cases bought out when they had a highest bid... >:\ but I let them know when I see another one up.

• Like 2

Druid, I think Kegan was referring to the Sellers friends pushing up the price, not him (Kegan) bidding against his own friends.

Druid, I think Kegan was referring to the Sellers friends pushing up the price, not him (Kegan) bidding against his own friends.

Ahh, you're correct. I didn't notice the "Of their buddys" part before I posted :)

i once bid on my villager's item.. but I don't think people know he s my villager and there is no backend deal. I got the item, he got the money.

most buyouts are a hard balance

however, some people do list a range where the the lower parts of the range would be considered and the higher part would be a definite and in some cases, any number in the range then its yours, however people that offer the buyout ranges typically are given priority over the bidders

its not really common to see this, but every time ive seen a range in the buyout thats how its worked.

also alex is an idiot

Edited by Propheteer