Sign in to follow this  
nosfirebird

stop people using live local maps

I dunno what happened (maybe some pvp or something), but live local maps are pretty real.  At the start of Epic there was one leaked from a player in BL, that was pixel to pixel perfect of local in which the player was.  There was never map dumps planned, but when the leaked hacked map started circulating (which you then could get banned for if you gave it out), it was a huge unfair advantage.  It's not really a modified client as much as it is just a map generator.  

so say i report them they come back and deny i have no written proof since this was in TS there is a reason why i have not included any names or kingdoms im saying fix the root prob so it cant be used anymore

Its not your job to judge.

You report, place the issue in the GM's hands. They then investigate to see if it the accusation has merit.

Don't shout it in the forums, PM a GM

• Like 1

WOW!!!!  :blink:

Really???  Comon lamos stop cheating already.

This is one of the reasons many of us do not bother with PvP either...

The Constant Exploiting and Cheating....

Sorry Guys Clean up your mess.

Edited by Protunia

Such maps are hard to prevent. 

There are programs mostly created for minecraft which take the junks out of the client and generate a picture of the loaded part of the map. In wurm you load a 50x50 square of the map in a perfect resolution and the rest is loaded with a pretty bad resolution but loaded. Then it looks like one of these first hacked maps dumps like we see them at every new server start, the start area is a perfect solution and the rest is displayed with extremely low pixel resolution. Then the people who create the map dump want to know it and so they start moving around the map and load every part (50x50) in a perfect solution and combine the perfect solution 50x50 squares to a whole map. There are quite a few 50x50 squares on one server so it takes some time, even Rolf has to do it in that way as I understood it yet.

So this is why you can't really fix anything here...

Edited by Sklo:D

What really happened:

Several JK spy alts logging in and out around our local daily, the only deed that does pvp, where if there's noone in local we are out hunting

Then we look for their spy alts, kill them, now they're mad

dont you have a bl starter city to wall off or something?

What really happened:

Several JK spy alts logging in and out around our local daily, the only deed that does pvp, where if there's noone in local we are out hunting

Then we look for their spy alts, kill them, now they're mad

dont you have a bl starter city to wall off or something?

I'm confused.. isn't Nosfirebird, the guy who made the thread, BL? and on BLH?  o_O

Raging don't solve a thing man, cheaters are going to cheat.  They arn't going to try to play by the rules.   Tbh I doubt this is just something that will effect just the PvP community, there are ways I could see any kind of live map applied elsewhere, especially if it can detect things like veins, source fountains, traders, etc.    

The best thing we can do is be speculative about what we see and apply our experience at wurm's mechanics to a situation that seems not right, then call a GM.  It isn't our job to go out headhunting, and in the end there is little we can do about it anyways other then to have the courage to come forward with proof, even if its a friend.

This is something that not only effect PvP on epic, but the economy on Freedom as well.  It is something that will effect the very future of Wurm, and if it will be a fun and enjoyable game or a botfest like Runescape.  This is a very large and complex game, with one of the most insane grinds I've ever seen.  The temptation to cheat is probably very high, thus you will see more people trying to beat the system.   That I have not is either a testament to how much of a hidden gem Wurm is, or how good our GM team is.   From my experience our GM team has solved every issue in that area they have been faced with, but they need our help to do so.   

This doesn't mean tossing accusations around, that is a bad idea and creates a bad environment to play in.   What it means is just like I said, being forewarned and observant.   

Edited by Battlepaw
  • Like 2

I think the people at LO got banned for having some live map? don't know the whole story.

LO was mainly banned because of 1-3 cheaters, and then one dude who intentionally cheated on every shared accounts and then confessed so he didnt get banned but they all did.

All game clients in every game can be hacked. What we as developers do is prevent, detect and block hacks. Since we're having some pretty big updates coming the game client will be updated which should break any current hacks.

You should not discuss hacking in the forums or chat channels. This usually constitutes FUD. Instead all suspicion of hacking should be reported to the team via the /support function.

We do not discuss our mechanisms for detection or prevention.

Locked as per request. 

• Like 2