Sign in to follow this  
Jberg

Smelting Furnace

+1 but don't allow anything but ore and lumps in it.   So no heating up 40 anvils or anything like that, Ore and Lumps only.

+1 but don't allow anything but ore and lumps in it.   So no heating up 40 anvils or anything like that, Ore and Lumps only.

Edited by KanePT

As someone starting to mine and smelt 30k iron.... I approve this message.

+1

Not 100% sure, but you can very probably fit 100 anvils on a forge, so i can´t see any point in this limitations, other than overcomplicate things for no good reason.

Not 100% sure, but you can very probably fit 100 anvils on a forge, so i can´t see any point in this limitations, other than overcomplicate things for no good reason.

There's a point into not making forges obsolete, which would happen if you basically added a larger forge that does the same thing and has a bigger capacity.

Because that way, might as well not add a new container, and just make forges hold more material.

• Like 1

There's a point into not making forges obsolete, which would happen if you basically added a larger forge that does the same thing and has a bigger capacity.

Because that way, might as well not add a new container, and just make forges hold more material.

Honestly i much prefer an upgrade on forges capacity than a new furnace object.

Just make forge volume enough to hold 100 ores, thats all, and yes that can possibly increase the number of backpacks with pans in a forge. So what? I don´t know why some people think having 50 backapack per forge instead of 7 will be a buff or make hfc easier than now, thats just stupid, 7 or 50 you still need to fill/empty the damn pans, if something a bigger forge only can help to reduce lag on deeds.

There you have it: best and simple solution is to upgrade forges capacity.

+1

And just to make it different to a bigger capacity forge, give it the ability to burn hotter - make metal white hot

And add a crucible item that can make lumps inside become liquid metal for everything but iron and steel.

Personally I think they should split the smelting of metals into two categories. Soft metals you CAN smelt in a forge, Iron and Steel you should need a furnace to create. Or perhaps, you would lose no quality when smelting in a forge for soft metals, as opposed to in a campfire, but you'd need a furnace not to lose quality when making iron and steel.

I also think the furnace should have the ability to add and remove ingot moulds, and that soft metals would become liquid if left too long and fill the moulds. But the problem is that a mixture of metal lumps might liquify and run together in the wrong proportions and annoy people. Which is fine if it's just your lookout, only smelt one metal at a time unless you've worked out the proportions, but if someone can come along and drop a lump of other-metal in your furnace, that could really mess you up, which is why I'll settle for using a crucible to liquify soft metals that you can then pour into moulds.

+1

And just to make it different to a bigger capacity forge, give it the ability to burn hotter - make metal white hot

And add a crucible item that can make lumps inside become liquid metal for everything but iron and steel.

Personally I think they should split the smelting of metals into two categories. Soft metals you CAN smelt in a forge, Iron and Steel you should need a furnace to create. Or perhaps, you would lose no quality when smelting in a forge for soft metals, as opposed to in a campfire, but you'd need a furnace not to lose quality when making iron and steel.

I also think the furnace should have the ability to add and remove ingot moulds, and that soft metals would become liquid if left too long and fill the moulds. But the problem is that a mixture of metal lumps might liquify and run together in the wrong proportions and annoy people. Which is fine if it's just your lookout, only smelt one metal at a time unless you've worked out the proportions, but if someone can come along and drop a lump of other-metal in your furnace, that could really mess you up, which is why I'll settle for using a crucible to liquify soft metals that you can then pour into moulds.

+1 for casting items, especially if we get crossbows and crossbow bolts.

I think this idea should be expanded. the idea of smelting ores in campfires is ridiculous and selting them in forges is...doubtful. everyone uses wood scaps with which you simply can't get the temperatures needed to smelt steel gold copper etc. introduce small and large furnaces for this aspect, small having oresmelting capabilities like a regular forge does today - and the large one as they say for extreme mass production, with a high masonry requirement - I'd love to see even higher than 30 - perhaps 50 or something, this will make masoners being able to trade their skills more like the blacksmiths can today

overall big +1

• Like 1

+1

Make it massive and make it use logs, 10kg lumps of tar, or peat.

Besides, if we don't get a mechanism that can get things hot enough to melt ... how will we ever have glass ?

*The sand is glowing from the heat* That's it. So much for glass.

+1

One of the best improvement suggestions ever

+1

Make it massive and make it use logs, 10kg lumps of tar, or peat.

Best To Implement Furnaces ?

Bump till it's fixed (BTIF)

I would suggest that any ores melted in a campfire, oven, or forge would produce a lower quality lump where as melting in a Furnace would provide the appropriate quality Ingot (or keep it as a lump if people absolutely hate the idea of ingots) also lumps placed into the furnace would come out as Ingots.

• Like 1

Bump till it's fixed (BTIF)

Fix what? Anything broken?

Or do you mean BTII - Bump Till Its Implemented?

I would suggest that any ores melted in a campfire, oven, or forge would produce a lower quality lump where as melting in a Furnace would provide the appropriate quality Ingot (or keep it as a lump if people absolutely hate the idea of ingots) also lumps placed into the furnace would come out as Ingots.

No need to fix what isn't broken we just need a way to mass smelt ore. BTII

• Like 1