Sign in to follow this  
Jberg

Smelting Furnace

Suggestion to add a larger version forge that takes 3 or 4 times the materials of a forge to make.

It should also be graphically much larger than a forge to give forges a use in decorating homes.

Make it medium->hard to start to build (30-40 skill?).

Allow it to smelt 50 to 100 ore at the same time. Preferably more than less. (this is the BIG point in this).

Please.

--------

UPDATE:

To outline what I've gotten out of the suggested improvements stated in this thread,

- The smelter takes 30 to 40 skill to start and continue.

- Serious amount of materials to build, up to 5 or 10 times the regular forge just to not make them mass produced.

- 100 ores fit in it.

- One per tile.

- Graphically large.

- Burns a lot of wood quickly. Some suggest up to a full 100 kg tree to fuel it completely.

- Smelting time quality dependent, just as forges. Faster the higher the quality is.

• Like 121

also make it hold more fuel and make it use fuel at a faster rate because of the size

• Like 8

+1 We really need bulk ore melting, nothing more annoying then only being able to melt 28 at a time (unless you build 5 extra forges around you X_X)

• Like 2

SO 4x the wood to burn as well???? what about melting times?? same or slower??

+1, like this:

180px-SR-activity-Smelter.jpg

I don't think this could be called a mideval game without something like this.

When creating steel or other alloys, it should be done using one of these, not by combining lumps and charcoal in hands, would be much more realistic.

It should have a "fuel" spot and a metal/ore spot. To make steel, put charcoal in the fuel and iron in the ore spot. Wood could be put in the fuel spot for all other metals, but charcoal burns a lot hotter so smelts a lot faster.

Edited by Farkas
  • Like 8

+1 but it shouldn't be buildable indoors or in a mine. Give it 300 ore capacity to match a raft cart and an appropriately slower um smelting rate.

(i can't remember the capacity of a maxed raft cart at the moment but it's about that, maybe, I hope,)

This is definitely needed but without Toplels idea to not being able to build it in mines...

+1

Welcome to the sandbox crafting game Wurm Online where its not possible to craft a bigger forge....(sarcasm).

I think they should do more then just make a bigger forge. If thats all they might do it would be smarter to just make the current forge bigger inside. Really very few are going to care if suddenly you can put 100 ore in the current forge.

I'd like to see something that: 1) holds 100 ores, 2) when fueled like the current forge acts the same too and 3) when you fuel it with charcoal in combination with current fuels it speeds up how fast ore is turned to lump. Just how much faster this happens would vary with the ratio of coal to normal fuel. When we see how easy it is given current skill levels to make an 80ql forge the benefit gained from instant lump from ore isn't huge. Thus, it shouldn't take a lot of expensive coal. I say each piece of coal reduces the burn time by 25%. Thus 4 coal + 5 birch scrap or 4 coal + 10 wood scrap will create an instant lump making forge.

• Like 2

+1 A furnace only used to melt down metals in bulk and only one type of metal at a time. I'd almost go as far as to say when you melt down ore it should be cast into an Ingot (instead of a lump) but that makes no difference really since you don't have molds and would make an unnecessarily painful step in smelting. Unless Wogic kicked in and turned ingot without molds. 

This added with the wagon/crate update would make me one very very VERY happy wurmian!

Bulk production/trade boost like wurm has never seen before.