Sign in to follow this  
Gaeron

Kingdoms and Religion

After going through the 5 easy things for PvP thread and seeing the BL need PMK suggestions I took a step back and realised that this was one of the few hard coded things we cannot change as players. I'm always against hard coding where possible and of course that led to this suggestion.

It comes in several parts

The first is the splitting of the white light, one light for each god. Splitting means a Green Light of Fo, a Blue Light of Vynora, a Red Light of Magranon and of course the Black Light for Libila. Each god gets to be represented as an individual. This will offer up some tactical decisions for kingdoms as outlined below.

The second is that religion becomes an individuals choice totally unrelated to to the kingdom you are a part of.  When creating the kingdom the whole template thing is dropped. You just make a kingdom and then make of it what you will. This means that each kingdom can legitimately have priests/followers of all four gods. Things like Libila's mycelium influence still stands and her followers can still leech the stuff for sustenance.

The third is that the lights are more "involved" with each religion. No building or terra-forming would be allowed within the influence of any of the lights but priests of the appropriate faith within a kingdom could pray and sacrifice to their god at the primary altars. Sufficient effort here grants some small bonuses to those of that faith within the kingdom. It could be as simple as all casts come out +1 power or no shatters. There could be different effects for different gods. The prayer and sacrificing has to be sustained over time to keep the benefits. Efforts from the same faith of another kingdom can wipe those benefits out and they can then try and gain them for themselves.

Any kingdom can have a champion of any faith, they simply need a good enough priest to step up. Alternatively if the kingdom template still enforced a "primary" god as part of the kingdoms character, then only priests of that primary god could champion.

To then create a "BL" PMK the majority of the population simply choose to be Libila followers. All kingdoms already keep opposing priests for casts, stuck in caves outside of their kingdoms this removes that artificial get around and the priests can be full members of their kingdom.

Caveat :

- With all spells available within a single kingdom it might be necessary to review some with a mind to balance.

- The rules for mycellium spread may have to change.

- Other?  there is always an other......

• Like 5

If this were to be implemented, I would likely look at a map reset for such a map with other possible changes to game mechanics however that is likely for another thread.

I think the kingdom having selected a primary religion should only have those champions but can still have priests (Champions represent the primary religion and kingdom) and could coincide with the suggestion bellow.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/88086-chaos-only-changes-to-the-current-champing-system-chaos-only/

+1

However keep the missions as they are so that for example hots can only do lib missions, jk can only do fo and vyn, mr can only do mag.

Edited by merce

+1

However keep the missions as they are so that for example hots can only do lib missions, jk can only do fo and vyn, mr can only do mag.

Suppose that JK don't want Vynora and Fo as their primary but want Magranon or even Libila?  That should be their choice to make. I did say up front that I'd like to see hard coding removed and everything left to player choice. I was talking primarily about Chaos which I should have made clear, with the home servers of Epic I'm not sure that this would work.

If no PMK were to choose Fo for example then that may induce Rolf to look at why Fo is not favoured and do something about it.

I don't like the idea of BL people working with WL. Aren't they supposed to be mortal enemies? I think there still should be a seperation between blacklight and whitelight.

Maybe a better solution to people keeping opposing priests in caves would be to add two more BL gods, and balance them out completley.

i.e.

Have a black god of death that opposes Fo. Can heal, has oakshell equivilant, and equivilants for all other spells.

Have a black god of power that opposes Magranon. Can raise the dead (to oppose dominate), auto res-stone, fighting abilities that directly copy mag's prayers, and also has spells for mining.

Have a black god of insanity to oppose Vynora. Has a bunch of enchanting spells that are exactly the same as Circle of Cunning and Wind of Ages, but with different names.

Then, after this is added, change the valrei map so that all WL kingdoms can work for all of the WL gods, and all of the BL kingdoms can work for all of the BL gods. The kingdom that does more for a particular god than the other kingdoms may get rewarded, or high priests of the kingdom can direct an attack towards an enemy kingdom of their choosing, or something like that.

I've just been reading the wiki, so what I said might be a bad idea. Sorry if this is so.

Edited by Farkas

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Alliances can shift and change almost overnight, and even someone who is sparkly-white "good" may be willing to make a devil's pact to crush what they consider to be a far worse evil.

Aye I see this as a good model for PMKs being able to socially dictate what god they prefer. Not to mention a particular religious cadre being able to come in and perhaps commit some kind of religious coup, overtly or covertly. I really like that being an option.

The PMKs can still start off initially based on their founding template.

Kingdoms that are strongly mixed - with no obvious leaning towards any particular god - shouldnt be able to get any bonuses, champions, etc. Unless its heavy WL with some "hidden" BL occultists. That might be good enough to avoid someone trying to mix and match what are considered the better enchants across all gods.

A sentiment Im sure she shares; although, a strong, cunning minion arising to challenge is certainly not a new concept in fiction.

Something Ive wondered about the demigod system... how many years till the Three + One eventually become supplanted as forgotten Elder gods?

Depending on the enchant mix, the playerbase would very likely cause such to occur.