Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

PvP easy fruits

Rolf,

I appreciate you taking the to address this problem area.  Obviously by all the posts you've received in such a short period of time, your players are passionate about this problem.  I've seen some really great ideas, and some ideas that go against the fabric of wurm's niche style of pvp.

My sole suggestion is this:  Identify someone to work with you and the development team to sort through all these ideas.  Let them put together a committee of 3-5 players from across the different kingdoms, separated for both Chaos and Epic.  These experts would sort and prioritize inputs, and bring a solid list to the table, and together with the developers, construct a viable solution to improve Wurm PVP.

Quick fixes are Cheap, and cheap things always break easily.  Good things take some time, thought, and effort to pull off, but are definitely worth the pay out.  If you need someone to coordinate the PVP improvements on EPIC, I'd be more then willing to help out.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.  I have distinctly unpleasent memories from when Wild was on the chopping block a few years back, when people were trying to figure out if it should be kept.   

All the decisions were being made behind closed doors, and it caused a ton of frustration and drama on the forums.  I'm haveing a distinct feeling of Déjà Vu every time I pick apart these discussions, about it as if I've been this way before lol, though then Wild was almost completely deserted and mostly dead.   

I think connecting this server up was probably the best thing that happened to it, and gave it a new lease on life that continues to add to the Freedom Cluster.    Now they just need to finish the job and connect all the sides up so that PMKs won't restrict travel for other kingdoms.   :D I think sometimes that is another major barrier in allowing any PMK land in existing MR or JK territories.  

After alot more thought i have came up with these suggestions explanation will be after.

First you would  new map for elevation( hate to lose my deed but be worth it (full refunded ofc))

Bigger and More Sub continents to break the map up.

Second A New map to the northern for hota Black and Wl to clear space for deeds on the new Map map on ele.

This will create a new adventurous land where there should be no mine doors no buildings pure pvp server for events and gatherings.  size affliction.

Third No spawn deeds on new ele (kingdom Capital can take this role But crown test on home severs kings and champs to be able to cross)

This allows rotation of lands through conquest of areas and reduces stagnation of the map it would mean all kingdoms can rise and fall on elevation (home servers would be used to build numbers and large groups to secure lands and to recoup) A small buff to skill gain for controlling more the map.  an all round increased improving speed on items  25% faster for everyone constanly.

Forth Removed Cr Nerf on Home server and a small debuff to skill gain (5-10% on crafting based skills after 50)

This would allow the home severs to create the skill ability to skill fight related skills and gain relatively good crafting skills but discourage higher level grinding here.

Fifth Change the way rank works by offering a reward system

This would be a monthly reset Higher ranks gain big rewards, to create a greater reward to the risk of loosing your gear.

Examples:

10-5th - Gain 1 kg of addy and glimmer each

4th - gains both plus 1000 karma

3rd - gains all above plus 1kg of sirel (or 1kg increase on both moon metals)

2nd - gains all of above plus a 5 hours sleep bonus

1st place gains  1 month premium (or 20days)  and 5 hours sleep bonus for creating pvp.

Edited by JockII
  • Like 1

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

First off what is "Gank Bonus"? Simply outnumbering someone gave the party with more people or pets a bonus to hit. Some might even realize that once you are hit, you become easier to hit again almost making this bonus a double bonus.

From what I recall, and things may have changed since I last played, Rolf adjusted Gank Bonus but did not remove it which means there is an added bonus in an uneven fight besides simple numbers.

I did suggest a "reverse Gank Bonus" at one point but I believe it was over looked in the Kingdom Drama that always happens in these threads. If two parties engage in pvp the advantage is already with the larger group, I simply don't think there needs to be an added bonus to having numbers.

My thought was if 4 or 5 people are attacking one person they should actually get a penalty because they would be getting in each others way. Maybe a slightly lower chance to hit as they would be trying to avoid each other (maybe hit each other more often depending on how many there are) and do slightly less damage because they wouldn't be able to swing as hard, as their friends would be in the way.

Nothing big but definitely not a bonus and if anything a penalty...

Shameless plug as I'm to lazy to retype and pessimistic that Rolf will read anyways.

If you want more PvP then you have to ask "Why PvP?" or more specifically "Why PvP in Wurm?"

The original justification was WL vs BL then WL JK vs WL MR vs BL HotS and now PMK sort of based on one of the three templates. I've put up a separate suggestion which continues down this road.

The primary reason for PvP in Wurm, so far as I can see, is territory.  Its a land grab. Its rarely ever about wandering about and confronting a foe met at random on the map.

When the kingdoms have pushed against each other is when I've seen some of the best PvP. When HotS moved its capital close to the MR heartland we got the EV siege and everything that went on around it. When MR pushed up from HoM and The JK came west and a bit south to meet them we got the Purgatory Valley war. When Tonygreen went tunnelling mad we got the wars around Valhalla to name a few.

So if you want to increase territory contention then you need kingdoms close enough that they are if not forced into it then certainly encouraged..... To me that does suggest a new more obliging map perhaps smaller.

If you want to increase free-roaming random conflicts then you need spaces between the kingdoms to give people room to wander or to not make it prohibitive for them to ride into an enemy kingdom. Also on this point its ride, not walk. Walking around in an enemy kingdom is not a good idea. We are dependant on our transportation and cannot sensibly risk it. On Chaos now transportation is essential especially if you have Valrei spawns appear in front of you..... The game design shouts "GET OUT OF MY KINGDOM" but if you want that free form PvP it should be "COME ON IN....." The balance between kingdom safety and enabling PvP is a difficult one. No solution for this but its something that can be looked at.

• Like 3

I definitely hope Rolf gets some ideas from this to encourage PvP. I however really hope he doesnt put in things which force PvP. 

PvP should be incentivised, not forced (much like rank decay). 

• Like 1

I like gaeron post.. but if land is scarce, where a new pmk will develop?

This "removel of the gank bonus" is wrong.

A strong player will defeat a weak player in a 1v1 and a weak player will also lose against a group, which makes sense.

No weak player will ever benefit from this so called change as they just don't have the skills to take out a group of guys or a stronger player.

Basically you want to make the strongest stronger and giving them the possibility to take out a group?

-1 against titans or godlike players

I definitely hope Rolf gets some ideas from this to encourage PvP. I however really hope he doesnt put in things which force PvP. 

I honestly don't think some tweaks will drastically increase numbers... People play PvE for a reason and, IMO, won't switch.

New players on the other hand could be attracted with good features. This game just needs a lot more marketing...

Edited by Bittereinder

I like gaeron post.. but if land is scarce, where a new pmk will develop?

If the map were smaller then the mechanism I'd use would be difficult to implement but hopefully logical.

A kingdom is the contiguous influence radiating out from the capital.

A settlement in the kingdom which is not joined by influence is deemed to be "outside of the kingdom" and loses any kingdom benefits including calling on tower guards, the towers could even end up hostile in extreme situations. The idea here is villages in a kingdom would of necessity be closer together, making the kingdom more compact. A kingdom spread out linked by minimal towers could easily be disrupted and outlying villages put at a disadvantage.

With tighter communities there would in theory be more open space for new communities to inhabit.

Edited by Gaeron
  • Like 1

Ciray has a very good point with the lag.

Basicly it comes down to lag issues, silly looking pvp and a complete lack of marketing. Other things can just be nice to have, being of minor importance next to those, but these 3 things are a necessity to attract many and new players and keep them.

If you do net tell the world about your product, then don't expect the world knowing about it.

hey can a mod remove retards posts about irrelevant stuff like the whitelight?

i dont want rolf to get the wrong idea, i actually want him to fix whats wrong with the game

• Like 5

hey can a mod remove retards posts about irrelevant stuff like the whitelight?

i dont want rolf to get the wrong idea, i actually want him to fix whats wrong with the game

Yes please.

Basicly it comes down to lag issues, silly looking pvp and a complete lack of marketing. Other things can just be nice to have, being of minor importance next to those, but these 3 things are a necessity to attract many and new players and keep them.

If you do net tell the world about your product, then don't expect the world knowing about it.

And also accounts that were just created, by lame users who have a known reputation of being so, just to make stupid irrelevant eggthrows.

Chlodovech seems like one of them, 3 posts, just someone else with an alt account, and incapable of phrasing anything politely or non passive aggressive.

Riding a horse should have the same effect as riding a cart, reduced CR, falling from your horse should also give you a wound and stun you, this is so that instead of everyone being this archer-warrior-cavalry character at once it might bring forth new interesting tactics.

Epic

• Remove Battlecamps - they're ridiculous with the 2 mins to cap and run for some free rank and champ points and have an obnoxious kingdom influence.
  • Remove Animal Ratio - horses take weeks to breed and become rideable only to be lost in the first skirmish, the ratio prevents keeping a good supply.
  • Remove Enchant Cool Downs - replacing gear is inevitable but think of the time it takes to cast once on each new piece of plate in a set waiting for cool downs and then add to that the fact your going to need to cast each several times because you cant fluke a decent cast every time.
  • Locks For Mine Doors - I don't think I would like the current mechanic on houses to be applied to mines but if you make them require a lock then it gives people a chance at least to get in and not always easy to throw one up real quick unless you make a point to carry locks.
  • Allow Priests to Help their Gods - You would think a priest as someone dedicating their life to serve a deity would actually be able to help. Allow them to attach to Epic monuments and allow Fo and Mag to cut trees within whatever magic area the tree spawns
  • Logging Out on Home Servers - If you go to a home server then you are looking for trouble, not looking for easy prey only to cut your connection when something challenging shows up. Make enemy never leave the world on a home server.
  • Tower Guards making Love to Horses - Please, if you wont cut it out completely then at least lower the chance significantly.
  • Like 5

I got a few.

1. Balance BlackLight combat spells vs WhiteLights.
2. Remove timer on non combat spells, replacing armor asop/wa shouldnt be forced to wait 5 minutes, means it just takes longer to fixup an armor set.

3. Remove Home server combat nerf to stop silly servercrossings. Instead add a CR boost to Villagers(More then 24hrs a villager) inside their deed or deed perimiter. Why I say villagers and not alliance: Would endup trying to draw enemy into some of the huge perimiters out there for sneakily getting bonuses or suddenly invites to all other villages coming to defend. Why I say more then 24hrs a villager? ...to stop villagehoping for suddenly bonus. 
4. Make some armors/items faster to improve and some slower. a hardened leather set a wooden spear(please make them wieldable in one or two hands) and a shield shouldnt take to long to cookup compared to chain or plate atleast up to various QL levels.

5. Reserved.

Yes please.

And also accounts that were just created, by lame users who have a known reputation of being so, just to make stupid irrelevant eggthrows.

Chlodovech seems like one of them, 3 posts, just someone else with an alt account, and incapable of phrasing anything politely or non passive aggressive.

Chlodovech is not an alt, but a member of Fort Freedom (Mol Rehan, Chaos) and a real life friend of me...

Eggthrowing?

Edited by Bittereinder

I havent seen much, if any talk about the lag.....i would love to see the lag fixed before we go putting other things into the game and such. I dont know about everybody(MR,BL) but i know that me and a few other JK(on the Chaos server) get aggrivated when 5-10 MR roll up and pop local and we start lagging really hard. I've died a few times to lag, havent really PvP'd much since my last death 'cause it just isn't worth it to me to go out and try to do HoTA or something and lag out when a few MR pop local. And mostly everyone lags hard when there are 15-20+ people in local. Makes people not want to try to PvP 'cause they may DC, or crash, or lag out and get killed and lose drake/scale and other goodies. Fix the lag and i will be really happy!

Maybe do something 'bout dat WL on Chaos too...its really ugly and scary and it makes me not wanna go there and try to priest lol. I personally dont think the WL area should be terraformed/fortified in any way...with that said it would be nice if ir could spawn on flatish land and not the side of a cliff haha. I'd be up for the WL moving every 6 months or something :)

Anyway those are my two biggest concerns, im eager to see what will be buffed/nerfed to make PvP better :)

I have to agree with CIRAY on this, whenever combat gets enhanced wurm will need a bit of a connection boost. Not that i have any issues (not regularly) but there's too much people complaining to dismiss.

according to my idea should devalue the drake hide in this way:
if treader could sell a drake hide 20 silvers, all players may have it, both working for other people or buying silver. and holders of a drake would not be afraid of losing it because they could buy it easily and programmers of the game would have more funds

• Like 1

Epic

• Remove Battlecamps - they're ridiculous with the 2 mins to cap and run for some free rank and champ points and have an obnoxious kingdom influence.
  • Remove Animal Ratio - horses take weeks to breed and become rideable only to be lost in the first skirmish, the ratio prevents keeping a good supply.
  • Remove Enchant Cool Downs - replacing gear is inevitable but think of the time it takes to cast once on each new piece of plate in a set waiting for cool downs and thenI add to that the fact your going to need to cast each several times because you cant fluke a decent cast every time.
  • Locks For Mine Doors - I don't think I would like the current mechanic on houses to be applied to mines but if you make them require a lock then it gives people a chance at least to get in and not always easy to throw one up real quick unless you make a point to carry locks.
  • Allow Priests to Help their Gods - You would think a priest as someone dedicating their life to serve a deity would actually be able to help. Allow them to attach to Epic monuments and allow Fo and Mag to cut trees within whatever magic area the tree spawns
  • Logging Out on Home Servers - If you go to a home server then you are looking for trouble, not looking for easy prey only to cut your connection when something challenging shows up. Make enemy never leave the world on a home server.
  • Tower Guards making Love to Horses - Please, if you wont cut it out completely then at least lower the chance significantly.

These are great suggestions for Epic and I agree to 100%. I want something done about the artifacts as well. Put them to use.

Like I suggested erlier, that artifacts get a system like being a champion. Get points for kills, have a max cap and still needs to be recharged at the WL every 3 months. This means they will be out in the field and switch hands more often, might bring some fun.

People will just not fight you when you have artifacts then. I dont like the champ-artifact idea, it doesnt make sense to me personally.

If you want to do an EVE thing and hand over victims then make Chaos a series of rivers and the ends link to Freedom servers, so that they have to cross through the main portion of the map to go to other servers.

I agree with this 100%, forcing PvP on people is never a good idea. If you try to force it on them, and they really don't want it, they will simply leave. PvP needs to be something they seek out on their own.

I believe these are valid points. Lag issues are known to deter some people from combat. I have tried to introduce friends to Wurm, only to have them look at the you-tube pvp videos and tell me the combat was dumb (their words, not mine). As to the third, marketing, yes, I think more people could know about Wurm, but we've had huge influxes of people to the game all at once before. At times, it has crashed the servers, the lag was really bad in some places, and many of those who tried combat thought "What the heck is this?" I believe that until we fix the first two issues, the third issue won't really help as much as people might hope.

• Like 1

Remove rank gained from HotA pillars and battle camps(if they arnt removed)

Remove rank decay, make it to where if you havnt gained rank in 1-2 weeks your name disappears from the ingame top 10 and the website top 20 or w/e, and reappears when involved in pvp again

How about u make portals like epic portals that telport you to an area like an arena and make the area around that safe for that kingdom. So people who want just pvp can go there. Maybe even enable a feature to allow one on one fighting by how you spar. But make it to the death and the person gets teleported bCk to the start area. Also make other features like setting up rules for the match that both parties can agree on like no looting or skill loss and 2v2 3v3 etc. This would allow people just to fight and not spend hours getting to a deed.