Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

PvP easy fruits

if Epic has portals from home servers to elevation, why not have that from freedom servers to chaos as well?

1. Ratios are bad mkay. At least on elevation.

2. Change battlecamps so they become usefull and attract pvp. (I can give examples if needed.)

3. I like the hota for smaller groups idea. And rewarding them for showing up.

4. I dont like the easier imp option. But i do feel that res stones work too much in favour for vets that have less drops anyways. Id prefer that ppl dying in pvp would keep their armor/sword but it loses 10 ql for example.

Or a combination that regular items dont drop, only rare/glimmer things. Its super annoying making ropes, getting flint and steel, waterskin just because u die as a newbie.

5. If there was a mass sparring option, we would probably use it dayly. I know i would.

• Like 1

I'm loving the QQ by JK about te white light

Allow me to fill everyone in on the situation. Not long ago my kingdom, the empire of mol Rehan owned the artifacts, unlike our enemies, jenn kellon, we used these artifacts to great effect in PvP, gaining kills with them, using them on raids and on tower caps. A little while later JK gained all the artifacts back due to a lack of security on MRs part and the fact that the JK kingdom had the white light area locked down similar to how it is now (I believe they had 4 deeds surrounding the WL watching local 24/7 trying to stop us from recharging.

After we lost the artifacts we strived to get them back - we asked ourselfs how does one attain items which are being locked up all the time in one of the most impenetrable forts of Chaos. The thought occurred to us, aided by our very enemy's, why we much bash as move the WL to hopefully a more favorable position on the map so we can try stop our enemy's from recharging the artifacts, much like they attempted with us.

After having worked out the mechanics behind bashin the WL we assaulted it with 50 players, and we made battle with the white light. We won. The light moved. It moved next to our of our strongest villages, Eden.

Over the last 2-3 months our whole kingdom has been slaving away to try stop our enemy's from recharging the artifacts, using the mechanics we are given. Producing defences which will hopefully, eventually give us back the precious artifacts we once used.

Please JK, please stop trying to cry to Rolf for help. You don't lke where the WL is? Do what we did. Take the game into your own hands.

• Like 15

It seems like there is a common practice among JK on every cluster to cry, is it their lore?

• Like 6

It's like reading World War Two bias propaganda lol

• Like 1

I'll bite redd,

I would bring attention to the old white light island located just north of the previous location at the centre of the map where the light had been located since the start of the map. The altar was moved by Rolf as it was deemed unfair that such an important part of the map be inaccessible to MR..

Though it would be good to note that equally when MR had taken over the wl and added fortifications the build radius was expanded to prevent anyone securing the area like such and stagnate pvp...

Now the wl has been bashed and moved to an area <200 tiles from a deed of considerable size 50x50 approximately on the most western point of the map in MR territory and been fortified by deeds and other features since it's movement...

"Do what MR did and get the wl moved when it's unfair" ha ha!

Equally how the artifact recharge window was added is an interesting point of discussion but I've went off point.

To get aside kingdom vs kingdom stuff now I won't say anymore, I said my ideas and that's that.

My point simply was the altars should never be like that, Rolf's idea of them moving around the map every 4-5 months might be a good idea, the artifacts will need to be charged at the wl position that is random on the map but won't stagnate as it moves around every so often. But I disagreed with his idea of the artifacts moving.

Alters need a lot of work obviously ..... Pizza v2

ucMWlm.jpg

Edited by Maximustehgreat
  • Like 2

Rolf added in the bashing mechanic for a reason. Go bash it like we did.

• Like 3

Please JK, please stop trying to cry to Rolf for help. You don't lke where the WL is? Do what we did. Take the game into your own hands.

I can't believe the hypocrisy being displayed here; but with respect to you maybe you were not playing when the WL was originally moved, so let me fill you in too.

The WL was originally on the island between Valhalla and Blackhorse; like you guys we put large effort into building villages nearby (Blackhorse, Valhalla) however the WL was still rather open; you might have had to dodge tower guards but that was it - the WL was not walled in or mined into a pit or anything; the only terraforming work done in the area was rising a large pyramid and paving the area and purely aesthetic changes.

This was back when you had to chain towers to get to a location and couldn't conquer towers; MR decided they wanted to push for the WL and mostly Tonygreen chained towers practically all the way from HoM to outside Valhalla placing a plethora of deeds at various points and MR laid siege to it on a regular occurrence - JK was able to eventually resist the MR after a VERY long siege (probably a year but memory fails me) and after a while Rolf decided that it was "too hard" for MR to get to the WL and moved it to it's current location.

At one point when we had alts ripping up the pavement at the WL and other stuff I believe we began walling in the WL but shortly after finishing it we were told it was illegal and to tear it down by a GM.

News post about it:

The Altar of Three has moved on the wild server and is now located more in the center. Spirits whisper about some kind of deal where Magranon made a secret promise to Fo and Vynora in order for this to happen.

This is what frustrates me; the first time the WL was moved whilst it was probably in an unfair location for MR it was hardly defended - if you wanted to go priest or champ you just had to run via IS Desert and dodge some tower guards - we didn't put any effort into actively screwing the landscape up to make it as impractical as possible to get to the WL.

Now the WL is hardly in the center; it's almost on the west border of Chaos and right outside one of MR's strongest deeds - furthermore the area is completely walled in, mined down etc - how is this not 'too hard' for JK or Freedom Isles to get to?

So the question I must find myself asking is; is the WL something that everyone should be able to access and it becomes a problem when they can't, or does this rule only apply if it's MR that can't access the WL? Double standards are not fun.

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 2

I was there at the time and way before it, don't try play the "you don't know card".

The reason the light was moved is because Rolf decided it was in an unfair position, surrounded by 10 if not more deeds (Valhalla itself is pretty much one wall so the suggestion you didn't wall in the WL is laughable).

Champing and priesting at the time was stupid, MR players ha to suicide in and suicide/twig out to priest or champ because te WL was in dead central JK lands, usually watched.

Rolf moved the WL because it was in an unfair position. He then moved it to another position on the map ( some 200tilss from one of JKs oldest deeds I might add). He then ADDED THE MECHANIC TO MOVE THE LIGHT YOURSELF. I can't stress this enough.

If we had had the mechanic to move it we would have (well... We tried once with push/pull binds :P) , but because we didn't Rolf saw fit to move the WL.

Please, please, use the mechanics given to you by Rolf to take this into your own hands, much like we did a few months ago.

• Like 1

-1 to removing CR nerf on home servers. They are supposed to be hard to raid. -1 to any form of nerfs to home servers, as people have a right to choose their play style and live on home servers if they so choose.

My top 5:

> Remove res stones and the automatic res stone from being a Mag priest

> Make it impossible to log off on an enemy home server

> Remove cooldowns on all enchants; only offensive spells need cooldowns

> Increase average cast power on enchants and revert the shatter rate to what is previously was (and base it on item ql again)

> Remove rank and champ point gain from battlecamps and towers

WL was surrounded by JK deeds, when we tried to recharge we died and lost some artifacts because we could not recharge, the rest were stolen. At least we try to do something about it. You have not even tried!! Yet, you want it moved. When it first got moved you went on and planted a deed nearby, nothing else. If you guys would have kept working on it instead of leaving it to be drained, you would control some of the area as well. Not to mention HaP is not that far away. If it's at the edge of impossible, fine. But don't whine when you have not even tried.

Edited by Sharkin
  • Like 1

I can't believe the hypocrisy being displayed here; but with respect to you maybe you were not playing when the WL was originally moved, so let me fill you in too.

The WL was originally on the island between Valhalla and Blackhorse; like you guys we put large effort into building villages nearby (Blackhorse, Valhalla) however the WL was still rather open; you might have had to dodge tower guards but that was it - the WL was not walled in or mined into a pit or anything; the only terraforming work done in the area was rising a large pyramid and paving the area and purely aesthetic changes.

This was back when you had to chain towers to get to a location and couldn't conquer towers; MR decided they wanted to push for the WL and mostly Tonygreen chained towers practically all the way from HoM to outside Valhalla placing a plethora of deeds at various points and MR laid siege to it on a regular occurrence - JK was able to eventually resist the MR after a VERY long siege (probably a year but memory fails me) and after a while Rolf decided that it was "too hard" for MR to get to the WL and moved it to it's current location.

At one point when we had alts ripping up the pavement at the WL and other stuff I believe we began walling in the WL but shortly after finishing it we were told it was illegal and to tear it down by a GM.

News post about it:

This is what frustrates me; the first time the WL was moved whilst it was probably in an unfair location for MR it was hardly defended - if you wanted to go priest or champ you just had to run via IS Desert and dodge some tower guards - we didn't put any effort into actively screwing the landscape up to make it as impractical as possible to get to the WL.

Now the WL is hardly in the center; it's almost on the west border of Chaos and right outside one of MR's strongest deeds - furthermore the area is completely walled in, mined down etc - how is this not 'too hard' for JK or Freedom Isles to get to?

So the question I must find myself asking is; is the WL something that everyone should be able to access and it becomes a problem when they can't, or does this rule only apply if it's MR that can't access the WL? Double standards are not fun.

That was a war. When men were men. Tonygreen. Legend.

• Like 1

The biggest enemy against PvP on Chaos is time, or at least thats how I see it with player numbers a close second.

Time to craft war equipment, time to travel to find PvP, having to reserve time to leave PvP and return to safety. If you can't commit a lot of time then you are not likely to PvP.

Time dovetails into the risk vs reward issue, the longer it takes for prep, the more you value what you have and the less likely you are to risk stuff. The same with money items like dragon armour, they can stop PvP happening if you don't want to risk recently purchased gear in a marginal situation.

Then there is scaling which I have always felt has been overlooked in this game, the difference between a low skill player and a top end player is too high, especially when the top end player is boosted by really strong enchants. In most games enchants add maybe 5% or 10% to something, here it can be 100%

With all this in mind I'd suggest the following

- FW - allow use to get into combat but not out of combat, no escaping with them but still useful enough that the remaining charges will get burned away.

- Armour - remove Dragon armours from combat ( I have scale......)

- Gear in general - reduce the differential between high end and low end QL

- Fight skills - same as gear really. One high end player should not be so far ahead of an opponent its practically instawin

- Casts - max benefit from casts should be no more than 20%, a nice to have but not utterly essential.

- The title makes crafting faster but lower skill gain thing is a good one too

- Ease of travel, reduce TG attacks on horses.

If you want more casual PvP then prep for it needs to be casual, which means that the risk factor actually needs to reduce. Risk as in what you might lose rather than how dangerous things are.  Many other games I have seen have jump in PvP, often separately instanced and getting pvp gear is often the work of an hour, two tops. We don't have that in Wurm, its just not that kind of game.

If you want PvP to be more fun as well then I'd also add

- more weapon types/variations simply because choice can be fun. Dual scimitars, katana, claymores or bastard swords, all slightly different, all properly balanced.

- more armour types banded or scale armour for example rather than have one weak against X, good against Y  you can have some which are a bit better against X but a bit weaker against Y. You need a bit more strategy than rock paper scissors.

- Traps effectiveness does not change with QL decay. It gets silly when after a day someone triggers a bunch of traps and they do sod all damage because of decay.

- Some method allowing people with shorter on-line times to get to PvP quicker.

- Combat orientated emotes/taunts, because.

- Other stuff I cant think of right now but is definitely missing from Wurm.

• Like 2

I'm seeing alot of requests for no archery while wearing plate and rock, paper, scissors type of armor/weapon system.

We need a little give and take, so...

1. Priests can only wear cloth while casting but regen favor faster while praying. They must also equip the statue as a 2 handed weapon so they can not hold a shield.

2. Archers can only wear leather or cloth and, at higher skills, shorten the shooting timer and receive less reduction to accuracy due to light levels.

3. Wearing plate while mounted on a horse with plate barding you get a big bashing bonus with no timer (or highly reduced timer).

4. Blunt weapons do more damage vs plate than bladed weapons.

5. Pole weapons like Spears and Pikes do more damage against mounted targets

6. 3rd arrow type to penetrate plate better, but with enough shield skill is blockable.

7. Priests get an AOE bubble spell for protection against arrows, cast quality effects strength and duration.

If we are going to make priests wer cloth armor, give us a way to color it so they don't all look the same :)

Edited by Gaustyrr
  • Like 1

Before I begin my post on this matter, I just want to point out that a large number of the suggestions here seem to promote easier looting which is not, and should not be, what PvP is about. This includes corpses AND deeds.

Yesterday I spent some time going around between members of my kingdom on the Epic cluster in both the Elevation and Home server groups to ask them what they thought would encourage PvP. Although both groups had differing opinions it quickly became obvious that the vast majority of issues currently preventing more people from PvPing are player community related and no amount of changes to the game mechanics will fix this. We as a community need to be more helpful and supportive of new players, less confrontational with each other outside of in-game PvP, and generally cooperate more in regards to recruiting, nuturing, and equipping players for PvP situations. Outside of that there are some pretty popular ideas for simple game mechanics that could easily improve PvP. I've separated them based on cluster because they are not mutually compatible.

Epic -

1 - Limit the CR Nerf to an area around the starter deeds on the home servers to protect new players but still allow for the outer edges to be used for PvP, perhaps 25% of the map centered at the starter deed. This would preserve the protection of new players but remove the benefits of border hoping during boat combat.

2 - When logging out on an enemy home server your avatar never disappears. This would prevent enemy kingdoms from avoiding combat on the home servers and force them to actually fight instead of logging out.

3 - Remove Battle Camps. I see far more complaints about Battle Camps than any other features on Epic for PvP. Most people either consider them broken or easily exploited. But I think the concept is still a good one. If there were less Battle Camps (more intelligently placed) that actually gave some sort of bonus to the Kingdom that controlled it (like an enchanting buff, faster skillgain, or other minor buffs) you would see real PvP over their control.

Chaos -

1 - Farwalker Amulets no longer working in enemy presense. This has been suggested for over a year I think. I personally have no experience with them but there seems to be near universal agreement from Chaos players this would be an improvement.

2 - Change Tower Guard targetting priority. Again, I have no experience with this but it came up a lot and it seems to be an agreed issue. I think this mainly stems from the problem of having to travel very long distances to reach PvP on Chaos and dodging the tower guards becomes a tedius chore that will actually prevent many from seeking PvP.

3 - Adding some sort of portal travel between Freedom servers and Chaos. I believe this feature is going to vastly improve PvP on the Epic Cluster and Chaos needs something similar.

These are all simple fixes that could be added without a lot of coding/developer work (I think). But beyond that there is concensus among the players that other issues need indepth reworking/rebalancing/attention, including but not limited to :

1 - Weapons and Armor types being rebalanced so more armor/weapon options are viable in combat.

2 - Valrei fixes and rebalances to make scenarios run more smoothly and give a greater sense of interaction/reward.

3 - More advanced sieging system including new siege weapons and mechanics.

4 - General Debugging of existing systems.

+1 to portal, I think this would make a huge difference.

In regards to that white light drama going on. I don't care about the location as that was fair game by bashing mechanic. The problem is the rock pit.

Rolf fixed the mining massive rock pits which were too hard for an individual player to climb out of by making it impossible to make a slope over 90? steep. This allows players to build a wall part way up and climb out. Due to mechanics of the White Light you are unable to build a wall to climb up out of, which is essentially the same thing as 300+ steep rock pits which Rolf intended for to be removed!

The problem is the use of a mechanic which was supposed to prevent griefing of the White Light which had the adverse affect where it prevents people getting out, where in another location they would have the ability to do so.

Edited by MetalDragon
  • Like 2

Some have complained that the Chaos map to too large (on a personal note, if you drop our beautifully huge map for a smaller one I will quit playing, no question.) and it takes too long to get to pvp.

Add a new karma spell that will teleport you to the token of kingdom villages and slightly increase ways to gain karma.

• Like 2

Best change to PvP On chaos?

Jen-Kellon should stop whining to Rolf to nerf every little challenge they come up against and play the damn game. Seriously, less private messages sent to the game creator and a little more leaving the deed and play the game please. This is Wurm Online, not emails-R-us!  

• Like 3

Lol. Hate to break it to you anarchist but every kingdom does their fair share of emailing and private messaging for changes. Not really sure who you are or what kingdom but whichever there's plenty examples out there for whichever you're in.

Edited by Postes
  • Like 1

Quickfixes

1: Change everything about scenarios. Make "Libila asks you to make a pylon" and anything of the such appear once every 6 RL months. It takes too much time and too many resources to create one, not to mention no priest can even help build them. And lets face it, if every one of those missions had been done there would not be much coastline in certain parts of the map to even make another. Allow priests to do missions for their gods that they wouldn't normally be allowed to do. Add new missions and remove the ones like "Libila asks you to sacrifice 100 foals". Who the hell has 100 foals to sac, and even more so, the time to do it?

2: Remove enchant cooldowns. And make enchant casts actually dependent on channeling skill and south depth(to an extent) instead of them being so random. We use a village priest that has a decent amount of SD and something like 70 channeling and I still get 5 casts on some enchants. That shouldn't happen at those skills levels.

3: Change imping mass items like arrows and horse shoes. if you have 70 fletching and you use a 70ql shaft and a 70ql head then the arrow should come out at 70ql not 25. Change horse shoes so they aren't boosts at 50 70 and 90, that is blatantly retarded. Decide on a max speed at 100ql and scale it down. You were smart enough to come up with the skill curve, do the same for horse shoes, same for saddles. Also simply make imping shoes and arrows faster. Even with ceder arrows it still takes a while.

Longterm Fixes

4: Add skills for each armor. Much like the Elder Scrolls games. This would make leather and chain as useful as plate. Also make plate increase swing and block timers, while leather/studded leather have the least restraints on those timers.

5: Introduce either map resets or make the terrain ever changing. If there is a slope over 40 that is not on deed, make the land gradually revert back to it's pristine condition. But only land that is not deed/has structures on it. This would open up more deedable land and possibly bring more people to the PvP servers because there is more unscarred land to shape into a deed they want.

• Like 1

I know I made a suggestion before, but I have been speaking to people since, and during a discussion with a friend he pointed out some things I think are key, and proposed a solution for them.

In every competitive game I have ever played online there are restrictions that prevents you from praying on the weak. This is also the only game that I have ever played that has such severe penalties for dying, which I believe is a major deterrent for potential pvpers. The proposed solution would be based on fs, and would hopefully be relatively easy to implement.

No skillgain/loss or looting/equipment loss if the FS of the participants is more then 5 points apart. 

If this was implemented, high level players who were "ganked" by low level toons would not lose anything, and low level players would not have as much to fear from those who's skills are vastly superior. If you died, it would still be annoying as you would respawn like normal (at a starter deed, your own deed, or one of the huge altars) and would still work to keep enemy alts from wandering around. I believe this would encourage people to seek out those who have similar levels of fighting skill, as they would then be able to loot each other, and allow combat between gravely mismatched players to be more enjoyable to the losing side, which would encourage them to engage instead of flee. The only thing I think should be stolen if players skill is more then 5 points apart is affinities, as there are already measures in place to prevent them from being abused.

Before I begin my post on this matter, I just want to point out that a large number of the suggestions here seem to promote easier looting which is not, and should not be, what PvP is about. This includes corpses AND deeds.

I would also like to state that I agree with this sentence 100%. PvP should be about the combat and the thrill of it, not about the looting.

• Like 1

Lol. Hate to break it to you anarchist but every kingdom does their fair share of emailing and private messaging for changes. Not really sure who you are or what kingdom but whichever there's plenty examples out there for whichever you're in.

No not really, pretty much only JK write essays to rolf.

In regards to that white light drama going on. I don't care about the location as that was fair game by bashing mechanic. The problem is the rock pit.

Rolf fixed the mining massive rock pits which were too hard for an individual player to climb out of by making it impossible to make a slope over 90? steep. This allows players to build a wall part way up and climb out. Due to mechanics of the White Light you are unable to build a wall to climb up out of, which is essentially the same thing as 300+ steep rock pits which Rolf intended for to be removed!

The problem is the use of a mechanic which was supposed to prevent griefing of the White Light which had the adverse affect where it prevents people getting out, where in another location they would have the ability to do so.

You have a point, but.

I can climb out of it and there is also stamina spells.

Edited by Sharkin
  • Like 1