Sign in to follow this  
ShadowRonin

Rivets and the joy of making them.

I'd have to say one of the more tedious creation items out there are any that give scrap iron on creation.  This scrap is low quality, has barely any weight, and I suspect is only there to further increase annoyance.  Rivets are needed in large quantities in almost every situation, so 100's of tiny, low ql lumps really adds up quickly.  I and everybody I've ever talked to on the matter, would rather have the scrap iron done away with, even if that additional iron is still used up. 

• Like 2

I don't mind the scrap, myself. I think it makes sense, it's a waste product. You're trying to make something tiny like rivets, there's going to be bits of waste. What I do think could perhaps deal with the problem, is to either have the scraps come out at full heat, same heat as the ingot, so we can at least combine them every once in a while without having to heat them up, or simply have them come out into an ever growing lump. That is, automatically combining into 1 ball, so that they didn't fill up the inventory. 

So much this, I made rivets the other day and was thinking the exact same thing. I would rather see that the entire lump was used up than getting the low QL lump residues. They're tedious and I don't want to make rivets out of them anyway and am more likely to throw them into the nearest container to rid of them.

Scrap of any kind has always been a puzzle to me.  While some of us have a use for low ql stuff, most of the time it is just more junk to clutter the database.  Seems we could eliminate a large load on the server by eliminating all scrap.  Rolf has already done it for most items, he just needs to finish the job.

• Like 4

I hate making rivets too for this same reason.  The ways I've found to ease the pain are:

1) put your creation lumps in a group/container, so that your scraps don't stack with 'em

2) Unlit forge with a few containers in it to rapidly cool the scrappy lumps

3) Put freshly cooled junk into separate bsb to avoid contaminating your good lumps.

IT's a bit more juggling, but gets the job done

I always use the low quality remainders such as metal scraps or leather scraps for creation purposes, it saves going through the good stuff. However if you were to do away with those low quality scraps, leave the Leather Scraps alone.

I, too, would rather see it eat up the combined metal weight than to have to deal with the scraps.

Went to raise my thatching skill a few weeks ago and learned that making wires also gives joyous scrap.

I hate making rivets too for this same reason.  The ways I've found to ease the pain are:

1) put your creation lumps in a group/container, so that your scraps don't stack with 'em

2) Unlit forge with a few containers in it to rapidly cool the scrappy lumps

3) Put freshly cooled junk into separate bsb to avoid contaminating your good lumps.

IT's a bit more juggling, but gets the job done

Even more optomised - do the same with both your scrap metal and your rivets. Then let the leatherworkers and knarr-builders pull it out later!

But yea, +1 for just removal of the scrap.

I always use the low quality remainders such as metal scraps or leather scraps for creation purposes, it saves going through the good stuff. However if you were to do away with those low quality scraps, leave the Leather Scraps alone.

Really?  Low ql hides/leathers are way too easy to get, easier than low ql iron.

Edited by Vroomfondel

Well, I use a ton more in the natural Leather I create at low quality then what I actually create out of the Leather Scraps, but I like them, no real reason to get rid of them either. (Except in the stupidly screwed up creation process)

I would like to see scrap brought back for all items again myself including cloth......

I would like to see scrap brought back for all items again myself including cloth......

I hated the "metal scrap" when it was in the game, but it was better than accidentally combining the high QL lump with the lower QL lump scraps we get now.

I have something like 1.3k Cotton Rags still :P

I have something like 1.3k Cotton Rags still :P

And iirc, rags are still obtainable by failing to create a sail.

(not like there's a real use for them... generally, cotton is higher ql and would serve better as an HC)

I can't say for rivets

But when making plate

I throw all the low ql stuff in a bin

After piling up in the cooling forge

So I don't waste my better ql stuff for creation

Scrap metal doesn't bother me

Edited by Notsodirt