Sign in to follow this  
Tryfaen

[Epic]Elevation Portals

37 members have voted

1. 1. Good Idea/Bad Idea

• Good Idea
    • Bad Idea

These portals will link the starter deeds of each kingdoms home server to the corresponding starter deed on elevation.

Strongbox <> High Hopes

Glittershore <> Flamma

Deadlake <> Gloomshade

These portals will have the same restrictions as Epic portal(enemy presence/1 hour cooldown)

This will hopefully encourage more players to check out Elevation.

Disallow use by f2p characters so free players don't lose their character.

Edited by Tryfaen
  • Like 7

Even if its just used to grab ore, it opens up more players to at least coming to the server.

I like the idea of getting more people to Elevation.

I don't like the idea of trivializing material transfer from Elevation to home servers.

So I'm going to go with a 0 on this one.

• Like 1

I guess the portal could also have ore/lump restrictions, but i don't see it as much of a problem.

To me sailing over is what gives me the fuzzy feeling about going to other servers, but if it gets more people over on Elevation, sounds like fun.

I like the idea of getting more people to Elevation.

I don't like the idea of trivializing material transfer from Elevation to home servers.

So I'm going to go with a 0 on this one.

I agree with this. I'd like to see some sort of restriction on it like, you couldn't bring anything in your inventory or backpack. Only what you physically had equipped (weapon and armor) could come with you. Then, and only then, do I think it would be a good way to handle how the long trip stifles pvp. Otherwise, you're just adding a teleporter service to Wurm, and that's pretty lame. 

I like Arronicus' idea.  No transferring inventory, just equipped gear (no backpacks ಠ_ಠ) and I would give this idea a +1

Just make it so you can only come back with what you came through with. Don't know if that is easy to code or not, perhaps the server can tag items and remove the tag once returned either by border crossing or teleporting. Either way, the only way I would be down is if it weren't used for a safe-route to trade supplies. Part of the fun of epic is knowing that you could lose everything you worked hard to get.

I imagine huge hordes of JK and MR waiting on a homeservers near Ele portal, and at certain moment they walk inside, embark on a myriad of knarrs, and sail to wipe grand BL empire.

People keep bringing up ore transfer, but as it is, how often does ore go from elevation to the home servers anyway? home servers have uncapped iron which is the most important of the ores and 50ql of the other ores is already plenty useful. I have never seen/heard of players on serenity coming to elevation to do mining expeditions, I don't think it really happens and if these portals convinced people come to elevation to get ore then *drumroll* we would finally have people coming over to elevation from the home servers.

Edited by Tryfaen
  • Like 1

Sounds like an interesting idea. It could be tested for a while at least.

Some problems though... 

1.  Portal camping

2.  Living far away from the portal. What about horses, do they "log out" when you go through or do you have to waste a horse every time for travelling to the portal? And what about when you arrive, you have to run on foot?

3. Raids going through portal. It would be a new way to get lots of players to and from servers quickly.  Maybe the portal would need some queue system and only let one character through every 5 min or so?

Sounds like an interesting idea. It could be tested for a while at least.

Some problems though... 

1.  Portal camping

They're on starter deeds, which are already infested with spy alts, everyone knows this. And them being on starter deeds, if you attack someone going through a portal you'll get mauled by 20 templars. I'd say it's safe.

2.  Living far away from the portal. What about horses, do they "log out" when you go through or do you have to waste a horse every time for travelling to the portal? And what about when you arrive, you have to run on foot?

Tame your horse, it goes offline when you leave the server I assume, it'll be safe for a few days.

3. Raids going through portal. It would be a new way to get lots of players to and from servers quickly.  Maybe the portal would need some queue system and only let one character through every 5 min or so?

That sounds exciting to be honest, and if it makes the area surrounding a starter deed potentially safer for players(threat of backup) then maybe that will encourage settlement around starter deeds by those more cautious players that currently stay only on the home servers.

This idea is sound and will bring more players to elevation and encourage cross server play. This needs to be considered highly.

Since the iron ore cap was lifted i dont see the issue. The other ores are unimportant by comparison.

This was out in today apparently, how much did you pay Rolf?

!!!

Can't be becuase of this thread could it? Hell of a coincidence!?

Well, it's probably a good thing though, as discussed above. Worth trying out :)

*** Interested to know about horses and gear though, exactly how it works. Can I tame horse and go through portal and it will be back next time I come through? ***

Edited by Torgrim

-1 to any portals between islands.

Use your boats!!

Too late troll. It's a done deal.

• Like 2

The market for high-quality zinc is going to crash now. THANKS ROLF

• Like 5

The market for high-quality zinc is going to crash now. THANKS ROLF

Lol

This was out in today apparently, how much did you pay Rolf?

I paid for a year of premium like yesterday so maybe there's a coincidence

Fawkes had the market cornered and is now ruined! Lol. These portals are sweet. And yeah the horse stays tamed.

• Like 1