Sign in to follow this  
Pottis

See who voted in a poll

-1 this would invalidate just about any poll

Cant see how it would Elen. As you can still make your Anonymous poll.

The only thing this suggestion Changes is that you get the Option to make the poll not Anonymous.

-1  Polls in the forums do not count for anything really, so who cares what the results are?  Only thing that showing names would do is cause some folks to direct their anger at particular individuals.  I see no good reason to start that kind of fighting.  Think of it like voting, would you want you vote posted in the paper the day after an election?

Edited by Vroomfondel

Why would you want to see the names in the poll unless you want to see who doesn't agree with you?

That's pretty much my thought on this.

At best this would cause a few arguments, at worst a lot... Huge -1 to this.

Cant see how it would Elen. As you can still make your Anonymous poll.

The only thing this suggestion Changes is that you get the Option to make the poll not Anonymous.

Knowing someone elses opinion can influence how some people form their own ... see oprah's book club for an easy example.

Also, this feel like cardcheck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_check) which is rather distasteful.

Gonna be blunt a minute, this isn't just out of curiosity, it is so that targetted attempts can be made for coercement and/or to try and invalidate someone else's opinion.

Edited by Elen

Well, if as the OP edited into his post, the poll maker has the option to make the names public or not, and if it states that if you vote it's public, then anyone voting on a public poll are those who don't care what others think of their vote and anyone wanting to remain incognito can just pass that one by.  If someone wants to make it private with no names showing, that too would be their option.

It's not like these polls are worth much anyway since even with names showing, some people have "unknown" forum alts, and some have 25 forum alts and shamelessly like all their own posts with them in addition to voting in polls.  So whatever.  I really don't care.  Just agree with the OP and think it would be a nice feature.

The only reasonably valid kind of poll would be an in-game poll with only prem characters allowed to vote. And even that can be abused if someone is really determined and willing to pay out money for it. At least it will cost them.

I don't believe anyone needs to see how I vote on a poll, and if I wish people to know m stance on something then I will post accordingly.

I'd just like to point out that this suggestion wouldn't do anything to help you detect forum alt voting.

Forum alts come in all shapes and sizes. Some are easily detectable (like when a forum account is fresh and voices opinions about mechanics and topics a normal new player wouldn't even have a grasp of yet), but there are plenty that were made many moons ago, which have quite a few posts under their belt. Those types of alts you'd never be able to detect, and there are plenty of them running around here.

IP checking/comparing is the only way you can catch these people in the act, and even that isn't fail proof. These are tools/abilities provided to moderator staff only, not to the playing public.

As to OP's suggestion, I give it a -1. Like Aeris stated, the only reason you'd want to know who's voting for what is so that you can be assured of who has an opinion different from yours. Then what? What good does that info serve, other than give you another name to add to your "do not like" Wurm list, or give you a name to argue on the forums with?

Anonymous polling (even in RL) exists for a reason.

Yeah, I'm not really arguing the point even though it may have come across that way. So hard to convey tone of voice in a post.  And I don't see it as a way of discovering forum alts. (although the obvious ones would stand out. lol.)

I have no illusions that ferreting out forum alts, when they're not being obvious, is possible even if I was interested enough to go to the trouble. I have better things to do.   :)  

Just thought seeing names would be nice if it was optional. One game I played had that and it was always fun to look at the public ones. Anyone voting in the public ones knew in advance that their names would show and voted with that in mind.  Not much different from clicking "like" on a post.  You know your name is showing on it in advance and click or not accordingly.

Klaa lol. I tried to update the topic with a Poll, but I didnt get the option to do so. Maybe iam doing it wrong?

-1    their is good reason why you usually can't see who voted for what. It will lead to bias. More important, does knowing who voted for what actually change the validity of the vote? I say no.

+1 only if.

A. You can see who voted ( not what they voted for )

B. If they can op out from being listed (if you can see what they voted for)

The reason for said is for anti harassment measures

Only +1 if A and B 

Since when do you label names to votes, there's something inherently wrong with even thinking that is a good idea. Harassment, obscurity, vote changes, vote skipping and avoidance.

As Notsodirt said, or nothing.

I think it would make folks change their vote to the popular vote.  They might not want to be harassed for voting against whatever.

IMO, if they aren't willing to defend their position, they shouldn't vote to begin with. If someone can be pushed that easily into the popular vote, are we really getting their opinion anyway?

IMO, if they aren't willing to defend their position, they shouldn't vote to begin with. If someone can be pushed that easily into the popular vote, are we really getting their opinion anyway?

We are more likely getting it if they are anonymous ;)

You can't be serious.  Polling to me is the same as voting, and you have a right to your vote being private where I come from.  Try to imagine what it would be like if the day after an election everyone's vote was put in the paper for all to see.  Do you really think that your boss, your landlord, even your banker would not try to influence your vote if they could know?  Get real.

Edited by Vroomfondel

Perhaps I am stupid in having my in-game name be my forum name so that people can harass me for this in game, but meh anyways.  

As others have stated if people want their opinion of why they voted one way or another be known they will post it in a reply.

So here is my thoughts on knowing who voted on what.

Simple. Leave the system the way it is.  Why add something to a forum, regardless on if it is an option or not, that will cause strife in a community that really doesn't need it?  

Anon-polls are perfect since polls are just samples of the whats, not the whos.  Leave it be the way it is.  Polls is polls.

Off topic, but:

Perhaps I am stupid in having my in-game name be my forum name so that people can harass me for this in game, but meh anyways.  

I don't think it's stupid. In fact, it's the respectable thing to do.

Much like in real life, this small community runs on personal reputation. Those that speak through anonymous forum names and such are generally the ones who have something to hide/are stirring the drama pot.

Cant seem to quote, BP, if you honestly think my vote shouldn't matter because I have better things to do than debate my opinion on a topic on the interwebs, you have no idea what a poll is, everyone's opinion matters in polls, why it a called a ###### poll, please get a clue or search the forums and look for one for sale.

Edited by Kadore