Sign in to follow this  
Samool

Bonuses for highly populated settlements

As there are more and more private small one person deeds, creating huge, massively populated settlements should have some more pros than just feeling not alone, dividing upkeep and making some kind of group.

Few ideas about it:

1. Upkeep getting smaller.

2. Having some kind of skillgain bonus.

3. Random gifts for villagers (like hota rewards on Chaos)

It should only count premium players and the deeds should have really big amount of active members, like 15+. Maybe, the more members, the bigger bonuses.

It overally should make players more willing to make societies instead of living alone, and that could attract new players too.

Anyone got ideas what bonuses could it also be? I'll be glad to add them to the post.

+1

Surely Some sort of bonus system would be nice to have, we got bit over 20 prem players in town atm. Some sort of "reward" system for actual Towns, (High population - Cities)  maybe would encourage ppl to form larger communities.

Edited by DonAngelo
  • Like 1

+1 in regular font and regular color.

This suggestion is actually better then you Think in more ways then one!

Go figure if you dont understand what i mean.

But some mechanic should be added to prevent villages to have 100 of alts to benefit from the this system.

1. - +1

2. - +1

3. - +1 !!!

I think the bonus should be granted for hours being active instead of playercount.

Some villages might have 20players, but half of them might only play 30-60min per day.

Village with 5 players that all play 3-10hours a day should get same bonuses as the 20player one :)

• Like 2

Sillkakka this is hard to code, but yeah your right. But how do we prevent the villages from having 100 alts logged in just to gain village bonus?

So bonuses for people that group together, but those that have their small deed stay as they are, so in the end a large group of people that pay less into the system as a whole get to pay even less and get rewarded as well?

So bonuses for people that group together, but those that have their small deed stay as they are, so in the end a large group of people that pay less into the system as a whole get to pay even less and get rewarded as well?

It's need to be balanced that way so it'll be good for both sides. So small deeds are paying small upkeep, and huge, but populated ones, still bigger upkeep, but not as big as empty settlement.

@Pottis

That's why there should be premium only limit and some minimum members number.

Edited by Samool

Sillkakka this is hard to code, but yeah your right. But how do we prevent the villages from having 100 alts logged in just to gain village bonus?

Maybe only action timers should count as 'active' time :)

Even if someone keeps 100 prem alts, they have to queu actions.

I have a lot of huge deeds, 50 x 50, 71 x 71 etc. that just two of us handle the upkeep on, why should I think its a great idea to have others that choose to play a different style of game than myself get a break on upkeep and special treatment vrs myself?

I have a lot of huge deeds, 50 x 50, 71 x 71 etc. that just two of us handle the upkeep on, why should I think its a great idea to have others that choose to play a different style of game than myself get a break on upkeep and special treatment vrs myself?

Maybe because you won't lose much afterall, and many players would be seeking to make groups, instead of staying alone. Making more societies would do good for everyone. I'd left the whole balancing thingy to figure out for devs, it's something that really need to be carefully thought of.

Where we disagree, I see no issue if I'm losing anything or not, I do see one type of play style getting favoritism, while you seem to believe that this will turn it around for people no longer joining the game, wanting a deed of their own I do not.

I also disagree that societies do good for everyone.

Well, now owning a deed gives only pros, like being able to hire guard on your own, being able to set everything how just you like.

Also, as I know that it can be dumb argument, I thought that online games should encourage to play with others.

It does on PvP servers.

Sure, it's safer, but Freedom get nothing.

For a couple reasons:

• It is a bad business decision by Rolf (Giving discounts to people paying less money?) There is already a system in place for an overcrowded deed being charged double the upkeep, as opposed to giving them a discount
  • This puts players who would prefer to play on their own at a disadvantage, which isn't right. They should be able to play whatever their style is without being penalized. (I say 'penalized, and put at a 'disadvantage' because that is exactly what it is, even if you kept everything the same for them, and gave the large group deeds an exp gain, this creates a separation, and it will obviously be a hindrance to go on your own. Especially if you are skilling. In a game where you are grinding a skill most of the time (at least, most players are i think) To give them a bonus to go to a larger settlement and stop paying to have their own place for awhile doesn't make sense, but that goes back to my first point.
  • Why is this 'needed'? You already receive tons of benefits for joining a larger settlement, especially as a newer player. I don't think they need to code in more benefits to make this more appealing. The reason so many people go out and plant their own deeds is because they have their own vision, which is partly why this game is so amazing to so many people. They can shape and build as they please, which can't usually be done in a large community.

Now, I would +1 to new players (premium only) receiving some sort of benefits IE: a very small (maybe 5% MAX) skill gain boost after joining a larger settlement which ALSO has a player who has a master title (70+) skill, and only receive the benefit on that skill if they are within the deed limits. Maybe 1% gain at 50, 3% gain at 70, and 5% gain at 90? Without stacking because multiple players have the same skill at any given level.

However, that should also wear off after say, 1 weeks worth of playtime in game maybe? Something not too short, but not too crazy long either where they can do a speed grind and get a bunch of ridiculous bonuses. Just something to entice a new player to join a community to get off their feet and learn the game because it is so difficult for so many new players to get going.

IMHO what i suggested might help player retention, and at the same time doesn't have any game breaking effects on any players, regardless of their play styles.

• Like 2

• It is a bad business decision by Rolf (Giving discounts to people paying less money?) There is already a system in place for an overcrowded deed being charged double the upkeep, as opposed to giving them a discount
Exact reason why the villagers should be premium. Also, I believe that people looking for mmo games like to be rewarded for cooperation. Simple example: 'I'll bring 20 of my friends to Wurm because it'll be better and cheaper'.

But, yeah, of course you can't satisfy everyone.

You'll bring 20 of your friends to any good game without any incentives if it's good.

The point is

# of prem players also owning their own deeds will go down with this because they will join a single settlement to get the benefits. Therefore Rolf will be losing money from the loss of planted deeds and upkeep.

Iiy may convince the occasional person to go premium, but unlikely because if they aren't goin premium for any of the other reasons to do it, why would a skill boost make the difference.

And a referral program could be done, but the OP suggestion is definitely not one.

# of prem players also owning their own deeds will go down with this because they will join a single settlement to get the benefits. Therefore Rolf will be losing money from the loss of planted deeds and upkeep.

The people that make their own deeds are probably doing so for the creative freedom rather than being constrained by someone else's vision. Unless the bonuses are just that good chances are they'll still want that control. I think your reasoning behind it only rarely making people want to go premium applies to people only joining a big village for some small bonus over having creative control.

Not sure there really needs to be incentives though. There are plenty of inherent bonuses to having more populated villages. If you want to be part of a populated village join one or actively recruit for your own. If you're annoyed by the fact that all villages you encounter are giant yet devoid of any real population then maybe you should join a PvP server where having a population is a necessity.

if the system only counts unique IPs within a certain timeframe i wouldn't mind getting a bonus for that.

inactive players and multiple accounts of the same person should not add to it.

This is already in place. Sacrifice some stuff and get your village bonus up higher. The bigger the population, the more stuff gets sac'd. The more stuff that is sac'd, the higher the bonus.

-1, especially on the decreased upkeep. If several villagers chip in it's already cheaper on a deed with several people :P

• Like 1

I don't feel that a bonus is needed just because a deed has a large amount of players, nor that the incentive to have more players per deed should be created, which basically penalizes or sets on uneven footing, players who prefer to play on their own deed, or with a friend. I find myself the sole player on the deed I inhabit on Independence, and am just fine with it. I dislike the idea of trying to push people to live in larger deeds is my biggest point against this suggestion.

• Like 1

As there are more and more private small one person deeds, creating huge, massively populated settlements should have some more pros than just feeling not alone, dividing upkeep and making some kind of group.

Here is the way I see it. Some people enjoy social groupings and team projects and others don't. There is no way the Wurm god could encourage me to join into anyone else's deed by any bonuses or benefits or even paying me vast RL sums of money (which is highly unlikely and would fail anyway). I simply prefer having my own deeds under my own control with no citizens in them other than my own clones. Many are like this and you will not encourage them by any additional perks to join a group deed, much less one that is not under their complete control.

Beyond this, I see no virtue of large group deeds over single player controlled deeds; thus no need nor point in encouraging these types of deeds by giving them special benefits. Some might even think that it is unfair to the player with a more singular focus to give groups benefits that they are restricted from. Let players enjoy the game as they wish, that is the key to an online games success, shaping it so that it attracts all personality types by offering them the type of play style that they prefer, not giving preferential treatment to those of a more social nature as you suggest.

=Ayes=