Sign in to follow this  
Jukken

Making settlements more alive

I think a very nice thing would be to be able to hire npc people on settlements.

They will not actually do anything but walk around, say hello or alike. They would cost a couple of silvers to get and their function would be to make the game more alive.

Right now there are only guards, trader and merchant. Kind of empty.

Suggestion of NPCs:

Fisherman - (stays near water mostly)

Farmers wife - (walking around the fields mostly)

Carpenter apprentice - (lazy guy sitting on a lawn all the time)

Boy - (running around everywhere)

Girl - (chasing boy)

and more...

+1

Good bonus function would be to check them every 24-72hours

For example village farmer would generate X amount of crops daily which he drops in to his own little container where you can withdraw them.

Village kids could find small interesting things, for example botanized items and sprouts.

Keep the item amounts small, just so it would be a fun feature which doesnt bring 'crazy' profits like traders.

Also I can feel that this is purely a PvE suggestion. In PvE servers it can take months before u even see one person pass ur local, which does get boring.

Edited by silakka
  • Like 3

I like the idea of hired villagers npc that do small tasks for coin.

It is hard to find and trust players to do work for copper and such.

I also like it because it fosters long term investment and that would build longer loyal players who check in on investments and that would build real player population.

At one time on World of Warcraft there were more paying gold farmers then there were players.

That is not the idea here but its not a bad idea to have your village and character build real usable wealth without the need to sell the character to use the built wealth. Its a far stretch from the op but hired or bought NPC to do small tasks would be cool.

I could see one day myself with an army of farmers crafter fighters slaves, an army worth thousands.

In game they would do little more then double what I could do if I spent the time to do it.

If they actually serve a purpose (as suggested by Gramuly), then +1. Otherwise it'd just seem like a waste of coins.

in one of the question and answer sessions Rolf did state interest in possibility of kids being introduced.....

maybe a functioning bartender past 24 hours... :D

• Like 1

Just make settlement forms more expensive... and bam towns full of people again

• Like 2

No.

Btw you can already have Children, if Rolf didnt change this.

Just make settlement forms more expensive... and bam towns full of people again

-1 making stuff more expensive doesnt make things better.

Instead of making old things even more expensive, id rather see new items being introduced

I actually like this idea. It would make an interesting game with no grind, because all the boring stuff could be done by NPCs. However, players who are used to the way Wurm is now would hate this change. Maybe some time in the future, there could be a separate cluster like this.

I think the number of NPC's doing player tasks should be kept at minimum. It'd make for an interesting game, but not for Wurm.

+1, very good idea, i like all suggestions too.

Maybe as a little expansion some could offer quests(make me xxxx, bring me xxxx) for a certain reward, little skillgain or potion or someting.

Generally: YES please npcs :)

Maybe as a little expansion some could offer quests(make me xxxx, bring me xxxx) for a certain reward, little skillgain or potion or someting.

Join my village and I'll give you all sorts of quests to fetch clay, make mortar, make bricks etc. I have plenty of potions from my priest to reward you with. You'll probably even get skill gain in the process.

This suggestion is a bit silly though and probably indicates you're just not playing the game correctly. This is a multiplayer game. If you want a more lively village then start trying to draw more people into your village. Apparently the servers already struggle with the primitive creature AI already and Rolf had to dumb it down for bred stuff. We don't need people playing wurm as if it were a single player game and then populating their giant deeds only they live in with decorative NPCs that the server needs to manage.

Please do not add children NPCs to any PvP server.

Actually I think we will make some (non ai) npcs to the new tutorial area, maybe it can be used to stuff like this in the future , or something (so I don't say to much).

howabout encouraging (real) people to stick together on Freedom

+1

Actually I think we will make some (non ai) npcs to the new tutorial area, maybe it can be used to stuff like this in the future , or something (so I don't say to much).

is it wise to add something to the Tutorial that is not to be found on the live servers?

Reduce the cost of village upkeep and remove buffs like refilling lamps and undamaged walls. Then make it so you have to hire NPCs for the same cost as full original upkeep to do the previous buffs work. That wouldn't be OP but would add more liveliness :)

Reduce the cost of village upkeep and remove buffs like refilling lamps and undamaged walls. Then make it so you have to hire NPCs for the same cost as full original upkeep to do the previous buffs work. That wouldn't be OP but would add more liveliness :)

Big -1 sorry, now you'd be forcing people to hire npcs to keep things maintained like before.  I personally don't want more crap like that in my deed.

is it wise to add something to the Tutorial that is not to be found on the live servers?

Its just to give the tutorial place some life, like having a farmer raking some fields or some one sitting on a horse and so on. Like it could be in a little Wurm village.

But its just talk for now we will see what happens.

• Like 1