Sign in to follow this  
Jenshiye

Ships eyesore

[15:33:08] <Jenshae> After three months they should de-load ships the same way as pets, popping it back if they owner returns

[15:33:32] <Nxxxxxxpro> that would be nice

[15:34:38] <Lxxxxxd> i agree, what about damage while the owner is offline?

[15:35:23] <Lxxxxxd> or has more than 1 boat?

[15:35:57] <Jenshae> I think most ships would just be gone, permanently with the owners

Revision based upon input:

• Boats stop loading after 30 days where the account has not logged in.
  • They return in the same state as that point if they player ever comes back.
  • GMs could move the boat if it can't be pushed.
  • You can gift a boat / ship to the gods with a reason, "Fishing vessal" or "Boat bridge":
  1. These gifted ships would then either be accepted or rejected by GMs
  2. They could be repaired by any player
  3. They would not disappear after 30 days.
Edited by Jenshiye

in my opinion boats should get accelerated decay (like houses off deed) when the owner does not log in for a certain time.

• Like 5

Difficult if the owner then returns to find the boat splat in the middle of a built-up deed...

Difficult if the owner then returns to find the boat splat in the middle of a built-up deed...

They can push

increase decay rate the longer owner is offline.

after 3months being offline it should prevent everyone else from repairing it.

The decay isnt too fast, because 70ql ship would take atleast 8months to disappear

Boats can be parked on the owner's deed.

I agree with this.  I have several boats on or around my deed that I know the owners have been gone 6 months or so.

If nothing else, maybe mooring ropes could decay fast if not pulled up within 30 days or on deed.  In 4 months, the boat could be free to be pushed away.

• Like 1

They are better than they were at least they do decay now but i agree the 30 day thing needs to be either put in place or buffed to do more damage

[15:33:08] <Jenshae> After three months they should de-load ships the same way as pets, popping it back if they owner returns

[15:35:57] <Jenshae> I think most ships would just be gone, permanently with the owners

They can push

Crap idea is crap.

Edited by Slickshot

increase decay rate the longer owner is offline.

after 3months being offline it should prevent everyone else from repairing it.

The decay isnt too fast, because 70ql ship would take atleast 8months to disappear

While both ideas seem neat I wouldn't like to see them implemented:

Boats made specifically for marking fishing spots would simply vanish. For the same reasons the integrity of many of the existing boat bridges would be under threat if any of these two ideas is implemented. In some cases there are people who want to keep specific boats owned by others both visible and in good condition. 

I like a solution similar to this more but it should not accelerate the decay that much, if you want to leave for some time you just throw some silver for deed upkeep if you want your structures to stay in good condition, if a similar option for boats existed that would be good:

in my opinion boats should get accelerated decay (like houses off deed) when the owner does not log in for a certain time.

If repairing for skill is to blame for abandoned boats staying afloat forever then reducing the repairing skill gain from repairing boats would make people stop doing so unless they are actually interested in keeping the specific ship afloat. 

Edited by Justamayor

I don't see why they couldn't be repaired.. at least you'd know someone was looking after them.  

I have a feeling that those aren't the boats that are the problem tho.

as for boat bridges and fishing markers..., they'd simply have to be maintained

Isn't the GM-marina still operational? I thought that it was possible to call a GM to move a boat if it is in your deed and you can't contact the owner to take it.

After a quick search I found that something similar still exists, however it seems that not all ships can be moved:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/7-game-rules/#entry9

Abandoned vessels

Abandoned vessels are those that have been left in such places that constitute a problem to playability such as on deeds. An abandoned vessel can be brought to the notice of a GM and if found appropriate the vessel will be moved sufficiently away from the immediate area of concern.

Edited by Justamayor

No. with the amount of decay boats now take, they will be gone in 3 months anyways.

No. with the amount of decay boats now take, they will be gone in 3 months anyways.

Tell that to the abandoned boats that I've had to look at for the last year.

+1 to some kind of fix for abandoned boats.

-1 to any kind of increasing decay for ships.

If anything if needs to go by the amount of effort required to build said ship,boat,etc....if you are going to look at decay.

Many ships take more effort than most things in wurm to build and players should not have to worry about something that took weeks to build being gone in 30 days or even 90 days.

abandoned boat server.  if you come back after a long time you can go to that server, sort through rows of old abandoned boats and sail it back yourself.

Calling a GM to rescue your boat off of someone's deed has always been the method.  You call, they will move it for you.  Same as a mayor asking a GM to move a random boat off his/her deed.  Simple.

+1 to increased decay.  Let a GM move it offdeed and let it rot for all I care.  Why should I have to look at some dinky boat for months because someone else randomly parked it there and quit the game?  I shouldn't, simple.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

+0.5

I'm mostly concerned with the boats I have clogging up my deed. Can't move them despite being a mayor, and honestly a GM shouldn't need be involved for transporting them away. While I wouldn't want to have off-deed boats to decay faster, I agree it's a bit of a problem to have them cluttering up the landscape.

What I'd suggest is make boat repairs permission restricted, I.E none other than the owner and friends can repair boats. This will not make boats decay faster but will prevent abandoned boats from sitting around frequented docks.

Alternatively, considering what an investment a boat is, allow players to put in upkeep into them.

• Like 2

Since two of my ships decayed away despite not being abandonned (and being repaired by myself and friends) I'm heavily against increased decay on boats. This was before decay on everything outside a house was increased so I'm half-expecting to never see my ships again if I have to be logged out for a month again.

Having ships leave the world with the player would be inconvenient in most cases unless they could be set to stay online, and I don't think most people who go on a break from the game would think "Okay I'll be gone for a while so let's make the boats be invisible". Would probably solve nothing.

Having the mayor of a deed be able to drag ships to the end of a perimeter would be nice, though.

If the owner hasn't logged in for a year, turn the boat into an aggro mob "pirate ship" that can be slayed and butchered for pegs and tar.

Ok so that wasn't serious but I don't think there's a serious problem with boats decaying too slowly, nor do I think they decay too fast :)

• Like 3

Boat decay is fine imo. they upped it a while ago, so maybe they have been there for a year but the decay rate changed a few months ago I think. The reason I don't like this idea is because it just creates the possibility of bugs for little benefit.
Best not to try and fix what is not broken. I don't think being forced to look at someone else's creation in a crafting mmo is much of a complaint tbh.

Tell that to the abandoned boats that I've had to look at for the last year.

+1 to some kind of fix for abandoned boats.

Edited by AlexLong

Village mayor needs a way to move any (regardless of weight, dragging limitations, and moored) boat on village tiles to a water tile in perimeter. I despise decay and seek to find different solutions.

• Like 1

I spend most of my free time walking around repairing boats. It's my favorite thing to do. Don't take away my boat repair simulator sandbox.

• Like 1