Sign in to follow this  
Rolandt

Ughhh, this wind!

Wind change  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How should wind be changed? Or not at all?

• Increase the % of times with wind, making a breeze and a gale rare.
    • Add a minmum speed to water travel.,
    • Leave it alone, for hours of mindless travel!

I keep my suggestions short, and to the point.

The wind in the game is horrible. It is 70% of the time a breeze, 20% a wind and 10% a gale.

I travel probably as much as anyone in the game today, and I have to tell you at Code Club, this weather is detrimental to the game. People want to interact, they want to be able to get around at a decent rate. I feel like at the time, Rolf is trying to limit travel for some weird reason....

So here it is, up the wind? Add a minimum speed? Or do  nothing at all ( General choice of CC)

Edited by Rolandt

instead of touching wind, let us choose which server we want to cross to when we hit border :)

but I cant say -1 to more gales.

• Like 2

-1 ~ I don't always like the wind but hey thats realistic to me.

-1 to the choose server thing above too, same reason

• Like 1

Elen have you ever been in a sail boat of any type? 6 KM/h is not realistic if the sailor has half a clue.

Also have you ever seen someone sailing so drained of Stamina they are struggling to do anything? Not unless the sailor is 90 and hasn't had his meds.

So to your realism, cmon, this game lol We need better travel to build better communities. With Rolf announcing Flying, your arguing increased winds? lol It will all be needed because CC will continue to fail to produce bridges unfortunately....

You should be planning travel according to the wind......

Esp when going on long trips trying to brut force your way through the wind is not wise.

The Wind is fine and players just need to pay attention to it and plan accordingly.

If you see the wind is not going to be in your favor plan the trip for another day.

I have always looked at the wind daily when I knew I was going to be sailing and launched on the optimal day.

If you must make a trip on a bad wind day then you'll just have to deal with it.

You could buy a Rare boat I heard those go faster! :D

Edited by Protunia

+1 to something being done about the frequency of the low-speed winds which seem to be the most frequent ones. (I don't know if they really are but it really does seem that way). I didn't vote because I don't like any of 3 options given.  I'd not want to see gales be rarer,  even though irl you probably wouldn't be running with full sail in a gale. lol  They're too infrequent now as it is.  

I'm all for a bit of realism in travel but I used to sail a lot irl and honestly, on the ocean the only time you can't make some decent speed in a sailboat is if you're an extremely inept sailor or there's a dead calm with no wind at all or hardly perceptible breeze.  Perish the thought they should ever put in dead calms. The light breezes are ok for once in a while but those happen far more than they should, imo.

I like the being able to tack for speed which adds a touch of realism to it.  Just would like to see the frequency of strong winds being upped without lessening the frequency of the gales since in wurm gales are the fastest without taking damage.  (Absolutely not saying gales should give damage. Not wanting that much realism. lol)

edit..ps:  Voted to increase the minimum. This would be better than nothing.  :)

Edited by Amadee

It's a community based game and the playerbase is divided on several servers so travelling is logically part of the game. It's true that the world becomes smaller the faster you can travel BUT we never had a problem with this on JKH, back when we could swim everywhere. Out of all the mechanics back from that time there are really only two things that I miss on a regular basis: Being able to get everywhere without being dependent on the wind (swimming) and being able to tow boats.

Being able to swim everywhere was nerfed to death when drowning was implemented and not compensated by anything.

Being able to tow boats was removed and when I bought a new ship I had to bring a friend along with me in order to sail over and pick it up. On the way back I sailed a cog at 4 or so km/h while he sped ahead in the sailboat. It took close to forever to get home and I had to waste my friend's time as well as my own.

I don't think it would hurt to get a higher minimum speed than what we currently have considering how much time and/or money we spend on the ships themselves. A sailboat is the ship of choice in 90% of the trips out of fear of having to sail against the wind.

+1 for boosting the minimum sailing speed a bit. Not removing the need for tacking when attempting to sail against the wind or anything like that, just boosting the minimum speed you might get while attempting that. 6 km/h (~3 knots) is a ridiculously slow speed for pretty much any sailing vessel. Yes, sometimes there's no wind at all, but quite frankly that situation should not exist in a game when it means completely killing a vital method of travel. And essential it is, since swimming isn't an option any longer. If boats were only useful for mass hauling I wouldn't have a problem.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

cross server travel and freight movement.... I think some tweaking to boats and wind etc would be good. I think in this case the importance of promoting travel outweighs the importance of realism. +1 to change.

Edited by AlexLong

How about making boats harder to improve and then making ql of boat affect it's speed no matter what the wind is?

How about making boats harder to improve and then making ql of boat affect it's speed no matter what the wind is?

+1 the last bit -1 the first bit. I think boats are hard enough to make/improve now and that would problay just annoy ship builders.

+1 the last bit -1 the first bit. I think boats are hard enough to make/improve now and that would problay just annoy ship builders.

It'd make good ships more valuable, also, the smaller ships are really too easy to improve.

I don't care about making ships more valuable.....The main thing is people spend many hours making some of  their ships for travel.

Increasing the decay and removing the ability to travel in Wurm from players that take a break is insane.

Like I said any such changes to decaying should be based on time to build and/or amount of mats to make.

The wind should never be changed just because some people think its not fair to them.

Ive seen hell horses pushing 48kmh. Its not too much to ask for boat speeds to be increased to match. Lets be honest here.

Heh aye hell horses are awesome.

Hmm recall when the fastest you could hope for was 18km? (buck nekkid) ...Aside from BASE-jumping.

The speed and hauling capacity has been a real game changer over the years.

Since day 1 of ships going live I have wanted them to function more like horses and carts. Tacking is dumb, plan and simple. If I could I'd change things....

1. All ships to go a minimum of 12 km/h regardless.

2. Add an enchantment so boats can divert and channel wind allowing the boat to go any direction (directly against the wind) just as fast as if it was going with the wind.

3. Add a 8 directional cardinal alignment tool ( something made from a compass and gimbal). This will let you set your vehicle to exactly either: N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW. 

I keep my suggestions short, and to the point.

The wind in the game is horrible. It is 70% of the time a breeze, 20% a wind and 10% a gale.

And when it IS a gale, it is always against the way you are headed >_<

-1 ~ I don't always like the wind but hey thats realistic to me.

-1 to the choose server thing above too, same reason

+1

Ive seen hell horses pushing 48kmh. Its not too much to ask for boat speeds to be increased to match. Lets be honest here.

Hell horses take quite some requirements to handle though. Anyone can command a sailboat really. 

Though I agree with you nontheless, speeding up boats a bit would be nice.

How about...

"Wait for it"

...Flying Boats!, best idea ever. Let's do it!

...sarcasm aside, boats really, really need love :( +1 to anything that helps boats more enjoyable

And when it IS a gale, it is always against the way you are headed >_<

lol.  Soooooo true.  :)

+1 For minimum speed. If people want to be realistic Where are my ocean currents then!