Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Feedback request on fence stuff

+1

love the idea of jumping and flying, but it really needs to be implemented properly or it will be a huge mess

deeds should have a new setting to allow flying over, if dissalowed it would act like an invisible wall

by defaut that setting would be set to disallow

when you enter peri you would get a warning in event telling you you can't fly over that deed (kinda like the one telling you you're on kos), maybe on freedom it's an absolute rule and on pvp servers you can try to break through but the templars start shooting you down

also, add ballistas to shoot down the flying practice targets!

for enclosure protection (if they are not removed), maybe trees could prevent people from landing (or flying under the tree line) so people would just have to plant wide trees like oaks or such

edit: to not bother people flying in high altitude, the deed setting could only prevent flying under a certain altitude

Edited by Cerber

This is a medieval simulator, not WoW.

You're right, of course... because I clearly remember reading about kyklops, giant spiders, unicorns, dragons, goblins, trolls, cave bugs, eagle spirits, and nogumps all invading France in the 1400's when I was in school, and weapons enchanted with Human Demise was all the rage back then.

I am fine with jumping and flying, actually I love the idea. I live on freedom so it does not bother me if someone would be able to jump or fly over my deed walls since they are not allowed to anything on my deed, 

Just to warn you (and others that have your philosophy), there are many, many undesirable things one can do to your deed, even if all permissions are set to disallow.

Locking your Bulk bins/chests is one.

• Like 3

Ridable/Flyable Dragons in game: +5 if it will require high Body Control AND high Taming AND not flyable if they aren't healthy/fat status (I imagine a Dragon would require a LOT of food ;)

"Speaking of which, fat status should be changed to healthy status"

PVP concerns: I'm not a PVP'r so my say shouldn't count for them but I think it would add a great dynamic. They would want to control all dragons and combat would be more about getting and keeping them. (That in game voting system would be great right now. Just be sure to design it to support character based feedback as you obviously appreciate it and we appreciate you for valuing it.)

Jumping: Sure, if you can get it to work in a good way. Stamina drains, height/weight limits. Jumping over walls shouldn't be possible. Jumping from a higher location over a wall should hurt REALLY bad. Unless of course you allow us to wear 10 layers of cotton armor :P

PVP concerns: Again, i'm not a PVP'r so I can't comment any further regarding PVP concerns with it.

(FYI +5 means that I have and keep 5 characters premium.)

Recommendation: Utilize your community PR people or specifically RedBaron_Johan your "Public Relations Officer" for feedback requests such as these. They are gifted with with ability to look further into how best to communicate these ideas to the public. They will offer another view and will provide an enhanced level of communication to the public/player base. (They should enable you to play mad scientist behind the curtain, without looking like a mad scientist to the community.) :)

Thanks again for an outstanding game! It has given us many years worth of enjoyment. And with that ever thinking noggin of yours, it will continue to do so for many more.

• Like 1

Just to warn you (and others that have your philosophy), there are many, many undesirable things one can do to your deed, even if all permissions are set to disallow.

Well that is a problem that needs fixed on its own and not be used as an excuse to stop features being implemented. Don't get me wrong i am iffy about the whole deal too but that problem needs fixed regardless of what happens here.  

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Recommendation: Utilize your community PR people or specifically RedBaron_Johan your "Public Relations Officer" for feedback requests such as these. They are gifted with with ability to look further into how best to communicate these ideas to the public. They will offer another view and will provide an enhanced level of communication to the public/player base. (They should enable you to play mad scientist behind the curtain, without looking like a mad scientist to the community.) :)

This man speaks the truth. It's less likely to be confusing if it's well worded, and better if he takes the flak for stuff that incites the rabble than if you posted it Rolf. =)

good point there

Well that is a problem that needs fixed on its own and not be used as an excuse to stop features being implemented.

Just as "progress is needed" shouldn't be an excuse to postpone fixing severe issues.

Edited by Aeris

Lol I laugh at people who say don't bring fantasy into wurm, LIKE ITS NOT ALREADY FANTASY! Real life doesn't have 3 moons of blood, the dead, and the gods! Real life doesn't have giant beams of light digging holes and flattening mountains, realife doesn't have priests and mages enchanting weapons and casting ice pillar or land of the dead, real life doesn't have he'll scorpions, hell horses, hell hounds, trolls(aside from the few in this thread), nogumps, eaglespirits, Drakespirits, giant maggots, sharks, dragons, forest giants, kyklops, sol demons, enchanted weapons emitting aura of frost, fire, or disease..

Seriously, face it, wurm is a fantasy game and idk if I'd want to play it if it weren't one. If wurm was 100% real life, why hell I'd just quit everything and go build in my backyard.

Don't be so opposed to change, obviously the current systems aren't working, we get stuck in fences ( we don't mesh with fenced in real life last I checked, so wurm is fantasy as well in that regard)

Jumping? So what. Add "barricade" (optional additions) to the tops of fences to prevent jumping.

You want less fantasy in this game? Well being able to jump over low walls is REAL LIFE STURFF. Not fantasy Mumbo jumbo.

As for flying, just do it with gliders and forget the riding flying monsters, too OP. meanwhile gliders are a real life thing we can do, just factor in the drop rate per tile based on weight and QL of glider, and add ballista to shoot them down. Just prevent gliders from LANDING inside deeds if you're not a citizen or have "glider" permissions there.

Ballista are real life. Gliders are real life. Jumping is real life. Jumping over low fences is real life. Fences not 100% protecting you is real life.

What is there to complain about guys?

stupid quotes disappeared when I edited :(

Delakar said:  So is there any chance that Rolf can confirm/clarify what he means? 

Having a limited number of rare creatures being able to fly, and be ridden, is a whole lot different prospect than anyone with 40-50+ BC being Superman....

Is this flying more supposed to be "controlled falling" with it only working from a certain height? Is it going to allow jumping over fences?'

He's asked for feedback but given just enough info that everyone is confused and making assumptions. Further clarification is essential for people to give actual opinions on the situation.

(on another note, is this a swedish translation thing? does 'jump' in swedish translate to 'fly' in english? are we all getting worked up over a typo?)

^^This.  If Rolf doesn't want us to make assumptions to base our requested feedback on, then give us something concrete to give our feedback on.  Everyone has made assumptions, not just the negative feedback folks.

Budha said :  Because everyone has seen the word 'flying' and stopped reading there. I'm 98% sure that Rolf was talking about the ability to ride dragons, and having dragons that actually fly.

We have no other ride-able creatures in game with wings, so you can't fly anything else.

Rolf said:   The good thing about this is that we could give you the possibility to fly in various ways. It is possible that it should be a fairly rare thing in Wurm but attainable to anyone who happens to find such a creature or ability and probably body control based. Such creatures should not be breedable.

He specifically says or ability and various ways.  So just how are we to assume that he just means riding the scant few dragons left in the game?? (are there more than one or two?)  

What incorrect assumptions have we made? Should we assume then that he's planning to add more dragons?  Rideable flying creatures?  What exactly should we assume and what should we base our opinions on?

As for jumping over fences. I still think it's a bad bad idea, no matter how it's implemented, for all the reasons I and others have already stated,

Edited by Amadee

It would be interesting is this led to a deed securing feature I've wish we had. In Ultima Online you can set your house to private and no player or monster can enter it. I'd very much appreciate a similar PvE feature that 100% stoped mobs and other players from entering my village tiles. Ya, with something like that, let the flying and fence jumping commence.

Not sure what to think. Sounds cool, but also could be a nightmare.

And as for the legal enclosure rules.. if that's removed entirely, there should be something to take its place for freedom. Freedom is PVE, newbs who get raided constantly probably won't stick around very long if they have no way to have even a slight bit of safety without being forced to join a village.

This sort of goess the idea I wanted to see with some mobs with bows that can retailiate against archery without getting up close. Like the comment about guards

For those asking for very high levels of gating (40-50 BC), this should go with no longer being able to sell accounts.  Making it so only a handful of very old accounts can do this while allowing anyone with money to purchase said accounts would only be making a significant monetary boost for a few players and certainly not any gain for Wurm.  People who come into Wurm asking about dragons only to find out they are all mostly dead, will come in asking about flying to find out they need to spend 2k euros or 3 years grinding to participate, does this make sense?  Advertise what players can not reasonably get (I know, I know, this is Wurms marketing plan already)?

A number of issues need to be fixed to make flying work.  PVP issues (which would likely resolve themselves somewhat in time as long as it is fairly even playing field), Deed and legal enclosure issues (which need to be addressed before flying anyway),  Immersion issues (should simply be an IN GAME poll to determine the direction the community wants then a decision from Rolf on the direction he wants the game to go), whatever other issues we can come up with.  Lets find the problems and fix them before flying.

Once the issues are dealt with, then we can talk about flying.  Make it so that it works and we can have reasonable gating methods for all players to go through without threat of game breaking issues.  Either flying should be available (though difficult) for mostly everyone, or not at all.  Lets not do a half job and make it only for a very few thinking that this will somehow prevent the issues that we all know will accompany this.

I do rather like the idea of making only a very few, non breedable, creatures that can fly.  Make it so that they can not be penned or locked up (will not go in structures or caves), make it so that once a player lands the creature immediately flys off.  Make players search around for the opportunity to fly.  Make it special, not something we just lock up on deed like misers.  The animals should have some sort of limited flight time / or limited to landing only on that persons home deed (or servers starter deed).  Limit flying by the rarity of the things that let us fly on, find one and you can fly for a little bit, but we can never OWN flying.

• Like 1

Or we could have flying carpets instead of new animals. It wouldn't require an animated new model.

• Like 2

I want to fly over walls so I can get to the enemy better when they run back to their deeds and hide like little girls.

Big +1 from me.

This will make mountain settlements and several hundred dirt steep dirt walls useless. Also, this would cause chaos on all servers, PvP and PvE.

This will make mountain settlements and several hundred dirt steep dirt walls useless. Also, this would cause chaos on all servers, PvP and PvE.

isnt that makes it them not so invincible and thus promote more pvp? :P

• Like 1

Or we could have flying carpets instead of new animals. It wouldn't require an animated new model.

+1 to magic carpets

Maybe after a year or two of bugfixing of existing bugs I won't have nightmares about the possibility of jumping and flying.

/shiver.

Well that is a problem that needs fixed on its own and not be used as an excuse to stop features being implemented. Don't get me wrong i am iffy about the whole deal too but that problem needs fixed regardless of what happens here.  

Think about what they're doing... they're implementing a stupid feature (flying) to fix enclosure rules and being stuck behind a fence. It's not even a fix... its just a new, wacky implement. People are still going to get stuck behind other peoples fences and GMs will still be called. Because, apparently, only super-players with more than above average BC will be able to use this flying feature. Collision was brought up, and that too has nothing to do with the ability to fly/jump. Collision boxes can be implemented without the ability.

They're not fixing anything. It's one, crazy implement after another. And each one screws us over even further, because each one brings a whole, new slew of problems.

Honestly, I'm not even going to start listing the multitude of things they need to fix with deed permissions before they go ahead with this flying project.  I will let Rolf and crew figure it out or dive into the hot water themselves. They have years of pleas and suggestions in the subforum that they've ignored and need to start reviewing... I'll leave them to it.

(I realize I'm wasting finger energy here, i'm just gonna stand aside and watch the trainwreck unfold.)

• Like 1