Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Feedback request on fence stuff

I would put it on test server for a very long time before bringing it to a limited basis first to the chaos/elevation servers AFTER long long after its test - on a limited basis - however the concept of such animals or even possibly some kinda balloon or airship would fit the fantasy theme and allow for some fun - maybe even a new location or two for people to visit as the concept of flight would open up many avenues - however a major counter should be included - making them fragile when flying - or making it so they can not land on deeds and require a large free space to land  - also as complex mounts they should need both hands so no archery to hold on

quick edit

-1 to flying - I do not see a reason for this since only a hand full would get it anyways and those are the people who are the toughest to take down and feel the staff could focus on things all wurmians can get or enjoy since maybe 20 people would be able to really enjoy this without it becoming a massive break in pvp battles

+1 jumping - been trapped in allot of trenches

Edited by Forgedrake

Speaking as a newbie who spent a significant chunk of time building up a plot off-deed, my expectation was that having an undeeded homestead would be a bit more work, but still keep my stuff safe.  I followed the 'secure it or lose it' rule, making sure I have gatehouses, maintained fences, etc.  If this basically means 'if your stuff gets stolen and you weren't on a deed, sorry for you', that's quite a change.  I would have appreciated knowing up front that I'm basically completely exposed unless I spend some (real world) money.  I've already paid for premium, as that's pretty much required for any continuing gameplay beyond the first little bit.  I don't think I've enclosed an excessive amount of space (and I'm using what I have).  Knowing all that fencing and masonry grinding was basically a waste of time would probably blow the experience for me.

As has been said above, the only real reason to make this change on the Freedom servers is to effectively allow griefing or force people to pay for deeds.  Neither of those seem like good reasons or good goals for the game.  It also appears that this change has already been made, and is coming down the pipeline regardless.  Please rethink all of this.

It's probably a moot point to make this far into the thread, but I felt that I should voice my opinion on the matter.  As a Freedom player, whose both lived on his own deed and off-deed I can say that adding any way to jump over a fence is only going to invite griefing and thievery.  There are many people who would abuse it to get into enclosures and steal items from other players, or killing their animals just for the heck of it.  Even if it were limited to when falling onto a fence or when stuck between a steep slope and a fence, it's still possible for players to drag dirt and make hills, or use a already-adjacent hill and get themselves stuck to jump in. 

No new player is going to jump into the game and buy a deed and premium right off the back.  If anything, they try the game out living off-deed first and see if they like it, assuming they're able to deal with the learning curve and grinding.  Some players start off living entirely in enclosures, or with a small house and enclousre surrounding it.  It will ruin the experience for newer players if they're getting robbed/griefed as soon as they get into the game.  So fewer new players are going to get into the game if that's added in, at least in my opinion.

Really, the whole idea seems like a overly-innefficient solution to the problem.  Why not add some code to help detect when a player is stuck in a fence, and then add a /unstuck command, that will push them 1 or two tiles or so in the direction they had gotten stuck from?  that way if some slides down a slope into a fence they'll just get pushed back up the hill.  The command would need a cooldown of course, but it would be much better than just throwing out enclosure laws entirely and giving people the ability to fly into unroofed houses and fenced in areas. 

• Like 1

-1 for this INSANE lazy idea

Fix collision detection rather than allow yet another griefing tool

For myself I think that the benefits are not good enough to overcome the problem at this point.

So what's the verdict?  I think you have enough posts giving feedback.  =)

So, our fix for a glitch that has people fall and get stuck in an object is to introduce an entirely new dimension to movement in a game that is so decidedly 2 dimensional that you can't even tunnel over or under an existing tunnel?

Wouldn't it make more sense to revisit the engine and validate collisions a little better so people can't get stuck in the first place? Assume you can't do that, wouldn't implementing a functional /stuck (which is almost a standard item in MMOs now) to resolve the issue be cleaner and easier and far less prone to the unforeseeable  consequences this game is known for than flying?

-1 to flying and to jumping. +1 to making the rest of the game actually 3d first.

• Like 3

So, our fix for a glitch that has people fall and get stuck in an object is to introduce an entirely new dimension to movement in a game that is so decidedly 2 dimensional that you can't even tunnel over or under an existing tunnel?

Wouldn't it make more sense to revisit the engine and validate collisions a little better so people can't get stuck in the first place? Assume you can't do that, wouldn't implementing a functional /stuck (which is almost a standard item in MMOs now) to resolve the issue be cleaner and easier and far less prone to the unforeseeable  consequences this game is known for than flying?

-1 to flying and to jumping. +1 to making the rest of the game actually 3d first.

+1 to this.

"The new game feature was used like everybody expected, except for the developers." -Every game ever

Hm, sounds like a great idea ;)