Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Feedback request on fence stuff

Of course if flight was actually introduced it would stand to reason it would need some kind of "anti aircraft" counterbalance.

Some kind of medieval SAM capability.

Ballistas ftw

+1 to flying if it has very high requirement of something like 40-50bc :)

Legal enclosures should be done away with :) TBH its a bunch of crap the way they are set up and they are used to grief people often neways

yeah what a joke, terrible idea.... flying... seriously.... the game is already small enough, now your telling me i can explore every part of it in a few hours by flying over everything?..  the game will turn simple dull and everyone will have explored everything.                      

learn from world of warcraft... the dev team said if they could go back in time they would NOT add flying. It ruins the community of the game

Edited by Narlis

- 1….mill..bil...z.. no..no, not good enough...

Minus Infinity

While I applaud all the updates and hard work that has been put into this game recently (a nice change from the previous “Soon†I must say I am flabbergasted by this, in a very bad way.

As I have said on many an occasion before I really LOVE Wurm. I don't care that it doesn't have super fancy graphics or other bells and whistles. I'm not here for bling I'm here because of the concept, and what the game is at it's core.

I wish this weren't so, but I have worried in the past of a possibility of the game being managed into the ground- to its demise. Today is the first time I have had a thought of “I may end up leaving this game before such a day may comeâ€.

That is not to say I am leaving just yet! However, this seems like such a spring from what the current game is that I am no longer sure I understand or have any sort of grasp on what the end-vision is anymore.

I don't want to play some fantasy game where players can fly their way into my care-bear Independence deed, regardless of skill it may take, or work they may have to put into caring for a rare creature.

I think it would be a huge mistake to get rid of legal enclosures- even if situations regarding it sometimes end up muddy.

Where does this leave newcomers that have not yet decided to invest in premium time/deed. Where does this leave someone who is a great member of the community but may not be able at the time to pay for a deed? Even for established players, I have a hard time believing that with all the servers/lands of Wurm there is not enough space for people to have enclosures if they are able to maintain them. I don't see how the situation with enclosures is “broken†enough to mess around with “solving†via complete removal.

IMO there is no reason to have an attitude that land, resources, and opportunities are so very scarce. There are what... 11 servers now?... and we still fall into this possessive, protective, attitude whenever we see someone with an enclosure.

How will Wurm attract any sort of sustainable player-base if we make the experience w/o premium/deed unbearable? As others have mentioned – starting out in Wurm is huge work! Don't we all remember struggling to get a 1x1 shack up?! Let alone a place to keep some livestock or crops?

Wurm is a community – we need each-other, we need noobies. Are new players, or anyone for that matter w/o money, not worth a “pooâ€to the game? Yes, Wurm needs money to sustain itself – but the game is nothing without the community.

We have in this game:
-those that have played for ages, are dedicated to the game, and will continue to play/pay unless majorly disgruntled

-those who are pretty enamored with the game but wouldn’t be devastated if they just sort of stopped logging on

*and*

--those who are trying out the game to see what it is-- these persons will either

A )continue playing and become members of one of the first two groups- recommending the game to their friends and probably putting in nice chunks of money to the game over a sustained period of time or

B ) decide Wurm “sucksâ€, takes too much time and is too hard based on their limited first-experiences

-You end up with a much lesser chance of new players falling into category “a†if you start moving in the direction of making a game effectively pay-to-play. I'm not saying we should make the game “easyâ€!, but don't make it impossible without paying.

At one point I remember Wurm did close down to f2p- It would seem that that business model was not a success or it would still be that way. If this is so- then saying a game is “f2p†but making it “not†is no different than when the game was only p2p... so it stands to reason that taking steps in the direction of doing so is a bad idea...

Furthermore – as a care-bear living on Inde, paying premium and deed upkeep, I find the prospect of any player “flying†deeply disturbing.

I bought a deed and pay for the land in exchange for the privileges that were sold along with the concept. Now my deed will be mostly useless unless I buy templars to fend off these super skilled dragon raiders... in care-bear land?!

The downside with flying is that it makes it a lot easier to get into areas and cause trouble especially on PvP servers. That part could be fixed by adding arrows to settlement guards that easily shoot down hostile flying creatures or force them to land outside deed, so it's solvable. Even on freedom servers settlement guards could attack flyers that are not citizens or allies. It will become possible to jump over fences from the current dirt walls and rock sides though, especially if we add some jumping which we might want to.

That is NO “solution†in my eyes – that is a big problem. Are we really going to take away the “safety†people currently have on their deeds unless they can fork over another few silver every 30 days?

Also as others have mentioned what happens to our houses with balconies? Or what about the specialized non-roofed “secret†outdoor wine-aging parlor I built into my house? Last I checked anyone was able to drink/take liquids out of containers … even inside a house.. or on a deed. I would be thrilled to have someone come take the many “kgâ€s of wine I slaved over out of my deeded house.. regardless of whether the liquid was inside my house or inside-but-doughnut-hole-outside my house. Guess I better get started locking away all my beverages, or destroying the layout of my cherished home by closing in the no-roof-by-design spots. (Because I never imagined it would be enabled for someone to just magically fall their way into my home!)

If you really MUST put a flying/jumping ability into a game why not just keep it on pvp or otherwise select servers – then people that like the risk of such a setting can choose to go there.

Why smack all care-bears with something like this as well? For heavens sake at least keep DEEDS with an option to keep flying/jumping invaders out (player or creature)! (Though this still leaves many noobs (who.. last I checked- we wanted to keep playing) out in the cold...

I recently -even with the price hike- invested in a renewal of my premium. The one year option because I play so much, plan to continue, and it gives a slight discount to buy in “bulk†– To be frank, it was pushing the limits on what I can pay for a game. It may not seem like a lot of money to everyone but we all only have as much disposable income as we have, and have our own cut-off points on what we can/will spend.

I feel almost as if this proposed “update†is a way to squeeze more silver (for templars) out of players in order to keep such protections as were sold to us when we made the agreement of purchasing a deed.  This does not sit well with me in concept, and really I think ends up breaking past what I can put into the game- which to me would mean no more deed, and not renewing in a year.  I'd probably continue playing (if possible) on Inde. f2p as a member of one of my alliance deeds- but wouldn't be able to own my own anymore.

That is separate of course from the sentiment of not wanting to play a game that goes so far off into fantasy-land.

Either way, I wholeheartedly see flying/jumping as a minus to the game, even supposing we could be assured no glitches/abuses would be present if it was implemented. I could go on, but I think many others have expressed other downsides.. and I have rambled on for more than long enough at this point.

All of this is of course my personal opinion only, and not necessarily reflective of anyone else, in any capacity, on staff.

• Like 2

+1 collisions

+1 jumping

+1 flying with severe restrictions.

-1 to people that want to live in their secure bubbles that nobody can intrude. Dont play online games.

• Like 3

-1 to people that want to live in their secure bubbles that nobody can intrude. Dont play online games.

How does that make any sense what so ever? How about everyone raiding everyone's pve places for fun goes and plays single player games? That's a better idea. It is after all where they belong.

/tinfoil

Edited by Druidnature
  • Like 1

+1 collisions

+1 jumping

I'm not here to play a game with you or anyone else. My priority in Wurm is not interacting with other Players. I will work with others in Wurm, I enjoy interacting with friends in Wurm, I do so everyday, but what hooks me to Wurm and keeps me coming back has nothing to do with other Players...

I'm here because Wurm has the only quality virtual world experience that replicates a wilderness and ecosystem that I'm satisfied with. It's the game world of Wurm itself I fell in love with so to speak. I had been looking for something like Wurm.... I see nothing good about Second Life, or Entropia Universe, or recently Xsyon, or any other game I have tried, Wurm is the only good one that fits what I want in this area.

To me THIS is what defines Wurm, what sets it apart from all the rest. Anyone, including the Devs, who lose sight of how unique Wurm is in the virtual World department needs farmer salve for their eyes.

I'm here for the crafting system and for how it replicates real life much more convincingly than any other online game that I have tried.

I'm here because even though I disagree with Rolf and the Devs on some of the changes, overall I still like Wurm, even though the prices hikes have bit me in the arse.

In fact it's some of the other Players that see as negatives of Wurm, much more so here than in other MMOs. Hate me for saying that all you like but I might as well be honest about, you would assume that anyways about me.

+1 for collisions. When I walk into a horse(or other creature) I should not walk through a horse.

-1 for jumping over fences, for it negates the primary reason to build a fence in the first place... to keep out Players that lack the correct ethics to know better. In one respect allowing jumping is great from a realism standpoint, but the Players that appreciate this sort of adherence to realism aren't the players that will abuse the mechanic to the detriment of the Player that built the fences.

-1 for flying because it WILL be abused in this community. Guaranteed.

Oh... and one more thing... it is not acceptable in real life or in a game like Wurm for anyone to intrude into another's "secure bubble" without first being granted permission. That's my opinion on that issue.

Edited by Kyrmius
  • Like 2

+1 collisions

-1 jumping and flying unless there's a HEAVY revamp on rules to keep the less savory characters at bay... as things are they're not held accountable much, if they could get over fences effortlessly, their actions would result in LOTS of people quitting.

Edited by Mordraug

So there is some discussion when it comes to safe enclosure on freedom servers, i strongly disagree with flying and there's a reason why premium players choose to stay in the freedom cluster rather than the epic cluster, personally i choose to play the game because i can choose when i can interact with other people. I don't have to interact with other people unless i choose to which makes this game unlike single player special because it allows players to do as they please and to ignore other people but yet they can still choose to work with others.

Allowing players to break enclosure in freedom via flying or any other way will allow the theft of personal belongings of others something that will hurt the whole "i'm free to do as i please" part of the freedom cluster, it will be hard to have farms, tree farms, animals as other players will be able to just destroy all you're working on.

But then you may say, "oh well if you care so much about your stuff, deed it ya hippy" oh well what about new players, i'm sure 99% of all current players didn't instantly buy premium and set up deeds and it most likely took some time for people to decide weather should they keep playing or not. as new players will see that people can just steal their things and pillage them, they'll be turned down by this game and so the amount of players who play this game will drop and it isn't like this game is popular as it is.

I'd suggest to forget about flying as the game is good as it is without it, and if eager to getting rid of enclosures you might as well not put it on all worlds to not ruined the game completely because the game's mechanics are good as they are atm, and there isn't a reason to change them. 

long text

If the whole bsb locking thing on deed by non villagers and some other things can be fixed then what is it exactly that those people flying into your deed would be able to do? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. They won't be able to do anything other than walk around... So why are you so scared? 

+1 collisions

+1 jumping

This is the very definition of anti-social attitude and behavior.  You want to be able to impose your will and impulses on other people in a negative form.  Enjoying causing detriment to others for one's personal gain is against the social engineering of our species.  And you say we shouldn't play online games?

There are other games for people like you.  EVE comes to mind.  Otherwise, there is Chaos and Epic servers.  Your anti-social bullying doesn't get to determine how everyone else plays, much less on servers designed to avoid this.

• Like 3

+1 collisions

+1 jumping

-1 to people who have their heads so far up their own butts that they cannot hear input from others.

We are not living inside secure bubbles, we have presented several valid arguments as to why we think it is a bad idea. Feel free to have your own opinion but don't criticize ours until you've pulled your head out for long enough to read our arguments thoroughly so that you can actually come up with counter-arguments instead of slagging.

• Like 5

long text

If the whole bsb locking thing on deed by non villagers and some other things can be fixed then what is it exactly that those people flying into your deed would be able to do? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. They won't be able to do anything other than walk around... So why are you so scared?

I'm not sure why you quoted me in particular.. perhaps because my post was (I admit it) so long. Never in my post did I even mention BSBs. 

I guess in response I'd urge you to go read through the whole post (presumably for a second time, though there is no real reason to because I'm sure we will continue to fundamentally disagree) ... and consider --

If there is nothing to do on my deed/in my house other than "walk around" why would anyone need the ability to come in uninvited to begin with?

As is touched upon in my very very very long wall of text you chose to "quote" Rolf himself states, "The downside with flying is that it makes it a lot easier to get into areas and cause trouble especially on PvP servers".

As i said... Just put 50 body control requirement for flying so that those who get it will know better than to abuse and won't need to.

I fail to see how someone's body control automatically makes them "mature(?)" enough not to "abuse" such an ability.. and furthermore, based on what Rolf has said, wonder what "abuse" of the feature would even look like.  Who is to say that someone who *didn't* even spend the time getting to 50bc couldn't just pay a nice penny to someone to buy such an account?  -- But... which trumps in this case?  Skill or time? The player does *have* 50 bc ... so they are mature enough not to abuse it even though they bought the account? .. wait that doesn't sound right..

I see that you list your server as Chaos- that is great.  Have fun playing PvP, to each his own!  I wouldn't even object if "flying" into fences/houses was added there because I choose not to play PvP.  So if that would make chaos'ers happy then more power to them, so long as it is not also imposed on "care-bear" folk... (the posts here seem to indicate we are perhaps not as keen on the idea). 

Clearly we don't see eye to eye on everything, and that is fine- this is why there are seperate PvP adn PvE servers.

• Like 1

If there is nothing to do on my deed/in my house other than "walk around" why would anyone need the ability to come in uninvited to begin with?

this sum it all up :)

so no need to have the ability to fly into anyones deed atleast not on PvE servers

As most of you know you can fall down into a fence or wall section and become trapped. We have the fix to this already, closing the hole at the top of the fence but it isn't ingame yet. However, it also means that you will be able to move over fences and stone walls if you can get high enough.

The good thing about this is that we could give you the possibility to fly in various ways. It is possible that it should be a fairly rare thing in Wurm but attainable to anyone who happens to find such a creature or ability and probably body control based. Such creatures should not be breedable.

The downside with flying is that it makes it a lot easier to get into areas and cause trouble especially on PvP servers.  That part could be fixed by adding arrows to settlement guards that easily shoot down hostile flying creatures or force them to land outside deed, so it's solvable. Even on freedom servers settlement guards could attack flyers that are not citizens or allies. It will become possible to jump over fences from the current dirt walls and rock sides though, especially if we add some jumping which we might want to.

Thirdly, there is a lot of discussion when it comes to the "legal enclosures" rule on the freedom servers. Adding flying would make it impossible to uphold that rule since you wouldn't even have to break a fence in order to land in someones enclosure. The rule already seems to create a lot of situations that end up in a grey zone of who is right or wrong which is undesirable so many on the team want it to go away anyways.

We would try to hold this implementation off for as long as possible since obviously you would need preparations but once a decision is made it would probably happen after a month or two.

Thoughts? This would have quite an impact on the game but flying and jumping is sort of interesting features. And we need to fix the getting stuck in fences/walls bug eventually.

hi rolf i wondering when you gonna fix the fishing skill it's boring  3 min waiting for a fish is bit long   the timer of it it's to long to wait on 1 fish  maybe like a fishnet or other tools for finsing wil be nice maybe a fisherboat  grtz nick

There isn't anything to fix about Fishing though. Three minutes is really fine if you've ever gone Fishing as it takes a while to actually snag a Fish.

+1 to flying if it isnt for a selected few and never changes (like captured dragons)

-1 for flight

unless you also add cannons. tanks, elves, rockets, aliens, an in-game store to sell ql 100 armour of the gods that give +8 charisma and oh yea make it so when I enter combat my dps shows in big cartoony numbers.

bump for more mana.

seriously no flying, or I will grind the skill just to abuse it with the rest.

+1 collisions

+1 jumping

I pay for my "secure bubble"; and I pay for it just to make sure people like you will be left outside.

Also, I'm not sure if Rolf would be pleased with all "secure bubbles" owners and their (real) money going to play offline games just because you feel the need to stalk people or peep through their chests with underwear. :blink:

Edited by Ballad
  • Like 2

Flying would be a pretty cool addition to the game.

edit: deleted my ramblings

Edited by Jakenheimer

+1 collisions

+1 jumping

Not saying you're one of them, but that's exactly what the kind of coward that wants to do PvP damage to others' deeds while only dealing with PvE consequences would say.  Y'know.. keyboard warriors... tough online, wouldn't DARE act half as nasty at their local pub.

+1 Collisions

I want to be able to put a spoon, knife, fork, and candle on a table. It looks good. Let me have a nice looking house. Guard towers -should- have collision. If people exploit the face that towers are basically ghosts and design a deed around that, either tough luck, or let them be pushed/pulled up to a few tiles from their origin to allow movement but stop them from being pushed too far away from their current spot.

+1 Jumping

If we have collisions, I want to be able to jump onto a FSB and poke bears in the face. It would feel good to be able to climb around, or somehow make elevated pathways worth jumping around on. Jumping in combat immediately causes a debuff in combat to prevent stupid jump spam.

-1 For fence jumping

Unless you can implement a check to see if your current targeted fence has a house attached at some point and denies fence jumping on freedom servers if it fails the check. Standard deed laws, etc. apply.

+1 Flying Mobs

Dragons should not be penned up like cows awaiting the slaughter. Players shouldn't be riding them, they're giant creatures far too powerful to be controlled by man. They're legendary uniques, not pet dogs.

Edited by Mikhos

-1 for jumping fences or flying.  Tall stone walls are there for a reason.

Edited by Pinky

There is a reason we have gatehouses and walls. I play this game because it allows a parcel of land where I can do whatever I want. It is not necessary to bring a game mechanic into this game where people without my permission to do so, can gain access to enclosed areas of paid for land.  If this is introduced, then, at the same time, we should get an option for a no fly zone over deeds. 

Edited by Fairyshine
  • Like 1