Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Feedback request on fence stuff

Considering the amount of complaints I have to say, once again: jumping and flying will have no effect whatsoever on security on freedom.

Stuff is protected by deeds and writs and locks and that will not change.

Only insecure thing will be enclosures and those have never been protected by anything except conscience or vigilance.

A player with a jumping key poses absolutely no more thread than a player with a maul.

Not true, since it's against the rules to bash a valid enclosure.  So this would pose a greater threat.

• Like 1

Oh im late to see this. There should really be a prompt for users to come vote on big things like this, because I'm sure others have missed it too and a chunk of the playerbase doesn't even use the forums and you're not getting a representative sample of feedback.

Anyway, +1 to anything that resolves the getting stuck in walls and cave walls. I have to relog or remount at least 5 times a day because I somehow slide through the tile borders of more than half the fences and structures I collide with. So annoying and unprofessional. A fix can't come soon enough.

-1 to flying. Why would anyone need that?? All it would do is totally kill several aspects of the game. It's totally ridiculous, I think I would be amused for a month or so and then quit forever because the game just wouldn't satisfy me anymore in the way it always has and the way Wurm is only good for.

People are afraid of change. Do what you think is the best thing for the game in the long run Rolf, you made this game that we all love.

• Like 1

I say use the new tech and physics to improve things but don't implement flying yet. Flying coming into the game would be a very big thing and I don't think wurm is quite ready for it just yet. If it does get implemented I'd say put it on epic first if the epic players agree. Reason I say epic is because it's newer and less damage would be caused IF flying turned out to be bad for pvp servers.

-1 to flying

+1 to jumping

I foresee to much griefing from giving player the ability to fly.  Not to mention the tactical advantage pvp'ers would have if they could fly.  Seriously, if you're going to add flying, why not add cannons and uzi's?  

Jumping seems legit.  I think there should be skill associated with it.  You could tie in other stats like body control, and mind speed to help moderate how easily someone is able to jump something.  Certain walls should remain "un-jumpable".

Thanks for working the fix to the other problem with getting stuck in walls.

-1 flying

-1 jumping

These are not needed on PVE servers and provide many avenues for greifing.  Unless you plan on expanding your GM staff by 300 or so folks to answer all the theft reports, its a bad idea.  There are enough bugs related to securing a deed that those would need to be completely resolved before anything like this should be considered.

Seems to me that if people are getting stuck in walls, that a working unstuck command is a better expenditure of resources then trying to add functionality that drastically changes the fundamental nature of the game.

• Like 2

So I guess this isn't going to be added, most of the people here seem to dislike it. (including me)

Still I've read back several pages, do we have any Dev clarifying this?

+1 to flying

+1 to jumping

Better to add them now and get it over with, than later. At least if it is added now it can be tweaked 

• Like 4

Considering the amount of complaints I have to say, once again: jumping and flying will have no effect whatsoever on security on freedom.

Only insecure thing will be enclosures and those have never been protected by anything except conscience or vigilance.

A player with a jumping key poses absolutely no more thread than a player with a maul.

couldn't have said it any better

big +1

Not true, since it's against the rules to bash a valid enclosure.  So this would pose a greater threat.

Actually it would not.

Those kinds of player that would jump over a fence are the same kind that bash the fence.

And the players that follow the rules and not bash fences, wouldn't jump over either.

Well there are problem when people deterministically say THIS and IT, because there are several different things discussed here.

So I guess this isn't going to be added, most of the people here seem to dislike it. (including me)

Still I've read back several pages, do we have any Dev clarifying this?

I'm not a dev and I haven't seen any decisions, but this is the tenor I heard in the previous dev responses:

• They will add the new collision system, because it solves several issues, getting stuck being one of them.
  • It will automatically be possible to jump over walls from a launch platform (tower, cliff) but that's the only immediate option to "jump". There will be ample time to get rid of such platforms, if they pose a problem.
  • They may add a jumping key. (I see more worry, than actual opposition here)
  • Rolf probably will add flying to dragons (he has been promising that for years) likely also to drakes and eagles.
  • They'll may not add flying to dragon riders or mages (mostly dislikes, but Rolf can be stubborn)

Edited by Keldun

They have been protected as long as they where legal you players should read the game rules.

Breaking fences.

It is illegal to break any fence that does not belong to you AND is also a part of an enclosure.

Enclosure is defined as a completely enclosed secured area, composed of fences (excluding hedges and woven fences), gates or walls, and attached to or surrounding a house with at least completed bottom level walls. The bottom level walls of any such house/s being part of the enclosure must be visible from all parts of the fencing encompassing the enclosure area. Note that a deed overrides the enclosure rule.

With this being said to change that after all this time to turn it into a more pvp type server to grief non deed land owners would kill the player base on a bigger scale than you can see who are all for this type of grief measure. There are many players who are premium but do legal enclosure's. Then there are a lot who are premium and own deeds as well as legal enclosure's. There are also players who start new premium and start with enclosure's then as time goes by they deed there enclosure area.

There is a saying if it isn't broke don't fix it. Well enclosure's are not broke so they don't need a fix specially a pvp grief fix. Maybe on a pvp server but nothing there is fully secure any ways. I see a lot of nosey people wanting to stick there head where it don't belong. Also I see a lot of pvp players who also play on pve servers wanting to bring mechanics they are use to over to pve servers. Well if rolf  allows the pining of guard towers to enclosures where you can command guards to kill anyone not on the list that crosses your walls then hay I will allow you to cross my walls at your own risk in my legal enclosure area. I'm sure others who have legal enclosures will think the same.

In all my years playing a mmo I've really never had a reason to jump in any mmo I've played nor have I had the reason to fly.

Maybe fix that issue where any passer by can lock a bsb / fsb / whatever container on YOUR deed? otherwise, what's the point in paying for a deed, if you're not more secure than on free land?

If I have to carry around 200 keys and find and use them every time I want to take out something from storage, why would I pay for a deed anymore?

Also fix the issue where any "ally" can pick up things from the ground, regardless of permissions settings. This makes you not want to ally with people who allow a lot of new people to join their deed, because you don't even know the new ones yet. Why discourage people from being nice to new players? And give us a chance to get to know people.

• Like 5

Also fix the issue where any "ally" can pick up things from the ground, regardless of permissions settings. This makes you not want to ally with people who allow a lot of new people to join their deed, because you don't even know the new ones yet. Why discourage people from being nice to new players? And give us a chance to get to know people.

+1.. make deed owner doesn't have to be 24/7 police for their villagers will make wurm more open to any kind of players to play.

I think it would be a lot better and easier to just fix /stuck or add the ability to levitate (through meditation) :unsure: How would jumping work if you got stuck on a tall stone fence/palisades/all those other high fences? Think about how broken flying would be! And everyone would be abusing it and nothing would be done about it for probably months, if ever. Maybe add anti-climb paint or just leave it out completely on the Freedom servers for those of us who don't want to bother worrying about people snooping around our deeds while we're gone.

And I mean it's a nice idea but maybe something like no flying over deeds unless it's your own/alliances (if they have the option ticked)? Since it'd be good for taking scenery and deed photos~

Edited by Turnips

Lets see what I can come up with.

Leave Flying to Flying animals and GM/DEVS. Flying doesn't fit Wurm Online IMO. People have mentioned gliding well steam came long before gliding so before I see gliding I better see steam engines.

yeah, but by then all unicorns were extinct.

Fyi, i don' play on the sorry excuse for pvp wurm has, and i'm all for jumping over fences.

Edited by KanePT

Flying would be ok if there was some sort or fence post to hitch animals to so people wouldn't steal them if said person had it out for you.You would also need to make something to counter someone deeding over the enclosed space if it is off-deed, even with the four visible gatehouses. I like the idea of flying but sadly all but one dragons are dead on pristine. Although flying unicorns would be nice and I would like to see it at 40-45 body control although it might be easier for priests with a certain spell since they would have to de-priest or already have had the Body Control high enough to fly on a mount. I also like the idea of griffons but not agro. They would be more like unicorns hard to tame and could kick your bum but still be able to tame so when your flying around say your mount goes un-tame you don't fall out of the sky, take fall damage, and on top of that get beat up by your mount. You would probably die and lose your mount.  Solving it on the pvp servers might be a little more tough. Again fence posts with management would be good. Hmm. on pvp servers your supposed to fight over stuff so the enclosure space rule might not really count for much, but you still want to make it a bit higher skill levels and harder to fly or jump fences on the pvp servers. I do not like playing on pvp servers though. I like being safe and snuggly. Need moats that spawn crocs or at least can have a boiling oil moat so people wont think of jumping your enclosure or jumping into your village and drawbridges. Flying deterrents would be Ballista's mounted to towers or high stone walls and would be used by tower or deed guards.

Wow, Jade, learn to make paragraphs, easier to read your posts.

I would love flying mounts, to be honest. Make them extremely rare, very, very hard to tame and need a high body control to ride. 

As for people swooping in and stealing stuff from enclosures on Freedom, deed it. If it's not deeded, then its probably not worth the time for someone with a flying mount. What could a free player have that anyone with one would want, anyway? Can't steal horses that way, you're flying!

Um yeah might wanna rephrase that to "not much is protected unless it's inside a building" I've had people shoot at my animals by having a terrain height advantage (on deed by complete strangers no less) with the *no attack non aggro or aggro pets* setting made. I've had people steal from my buildings even because they were in the perimeter (locked and all with only me and my partner having guest status on it). I've had theft from locked containers as well in which it might seem impossible but somehow someone did it. Thud nothing is really safe on Freedom, so if same person is able to fly over those fences well then they can slaughter everything we have and steal anything that's not under a roof even with the doors locked. Point is it's not supposed to be possible but I've experienced such things on several occasions already on a freedom server. Flying would change a hell of a lot more then just enclosure breaches. Restricted flying is different because those who own deeds could prevent such actions like *stop flying* while over said deed. I'd let them fly over for an ariel appeal but I'll be dead and quit the game long before I let some prick land into my deeds just to do what they've done before in areas they couldn't reach. I've also had it where allies could take stuff from my deed and vice versa before even with it set up. I've been able to pickup items they placed inside their houses even right after they placed it without guest status. There's flaws, they need refined better. All of that above is possible on freedom as it's happened several times to all of us in the central region on Pristine. Not fun when you work hard for something to have it all stolen while you're offline from locked containers and all. I'm the only one with keys, so no one else should ever have been able to steal them, no crashes so they didn't vanish randomly and I found tracks proving a player was behind it. But yeah, jumping on the other hand does nothing but add a fun factor xD So long as they can't jump low stone walls or any other walls that currently block entry, it's all good to have it added. But flying should be though about extremely cautiously.

+1 for flying and jumping, here are my thoughts:

However, I think there needs to be some rule changes if it was added. Deed areas should include the air above the deed, similar to how a mine under a deed is still counted, this would allow spirit guards to cast spells or use archery to attack flying targets.

Flying mobs needs to be weak as ######, they can only effectively fly if they have decent health and no injuries, otherwise depending on the damage gained, the flying mob starts to lose air and possibly plummet.

Flying mobs should have stamina, only able to "fly" for a certain amount of time, they can recover by gliding slowly and this therefore make out stretched wings an easy target for arrows, possibly give a new archery shot? "Shoot Wing"

Jumping should actually be useful instead of cosmetic, do we actually have a use for it? Don't misunderstand I want it... but I can't see where I could use it, it's not like there are any rocks or obstacles to jump over.

Please don't make flying mobs incredibly rare, it would be annoying for everyone who doesn't have one. Just make them spawn in fewer numbers and slower, not unique.

+1 to the idea you has ADHD.
Everything else sounds good. I hate "Legal enclosures" anyway.

Flying? Please no! My off deed house would be gone in a heartbeat. Maybe that's what your goal is...

Jumping? Why? I don't see any need to, unless its to jump over fences. That sounds dumb.