Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Feedback request on fence stuff

Gliders +1, with the drop per tile dependent on QL of glider and your character weight. But only if you lose 50% or more of your defense effectiveness on a glider, meaning no blocking, would make it easy to shoot you down with arrows, and smallish ballista to shoot down gliders, glider destroyed = you fall to ground then and there and take the appropriate damage

• Like 2

Mmmm, wth? Rolf you really want people on the Freedom PvE servers to no longer have any security in keeping people out of their walled areas by enabling others to jump or fly over them? And aggro mobs can not be kept out as well? And other players can possibly think for a moment that this is a good idea?

Yea, I got stuck in walls a few times. Even killed once not too long ago by a champ aggro when stuck and unarmored. Guess what the solution was in all instances? Log off and log on again. To eliminate the security of all enclosed areas with your suggestion as a solution to this problem is just something that I can not even imagine as being a reasonable solution to the problem of being "stuck in walls".

Create some stuck option if you must but I mean really, don't destroy the security of walled areas with this type of idea. There are already some people that cut down all trees, sand areas and dig deep pits in an area in which I reside. I surely don't want these types of jerks jumping over the perimeter walls that I took many hours to build to at least keep them out of my area. Please keep your player griefing enabling mechanisms limited to the pvp servers where people seem to enjoy these sort of "freedoms". Bizarre idea with which the negative implications somehow elude you?

=Ayes=

While i agree with your concerns on security. It still would be nice. Just needs to be well thought of. Also tall stone walls, and palisades could even have a "no Jump" zone above them that would prevent players from jumping inside even when you're above them on a cliff. It would be a nice feature to have, jumping, and even flying, but needs balance of course. Truth is, if its on deed and the deed permissions are fixed and enhanced you have nothing to fear from other players jumping inside. And nothing is said about aggro creatures jumping.

This seems like a feature to force newbies to pay for a deed/guards if they dont wanna be left open to be griefed by some highskilled player that got out of the wrong side of his bed that morning).

The monthly prem price-raise was doable, but the gold price raise that came with it made it very hard for new players to justify placing a deed and maybe hiring a guard right at the start of their play, when they are still discovering features and stuff Wurm has to offer.

The current enclosure rule (altho a bit in the grey-zone sometimes, like you say) gives new players some time to "breath" and work out a way to find the money needed to buy a small deed (and maybe some guards).

Jumping and flying might be cool, dont get me wrong, but it really seems like a feature to bring in more cash (in terms of buying deeds/guards) and not something the player base has been asking for a long time (just take a glance at some of the big topics in the suggestion forum).

And it will cause a world of pain for gm's to handle situations by griefing jumpers/flyers. If you want to get this ingame, make sure to cover every angle possible out there, especially on freedom servers where new players assume they can start up in semi-safety from people-related-griefing (we all remember certain websites that launched griefing waves in the past).

On chaos/epic, also try to implement something we can put on walls (spikes, medival barbwire,...) to at least give some protection against "jumpers", if you implement mechanics for people to ignore walls/... make sure you implement mechanics to counter them (and not just guards shooting arrows) or at least give them some wounds when they try to enter.

• Like 3

haha.  +1 . plz add low weight requirement and fall dmg for unsuccessful attempts.

Playing on epic mostly, so I can't say much about freedom, but I'm totally +1 for flying and jumping as long as there are ways to stop it from happening on deeds or personal enclosures (maybe cast a net of some kind over the enclosure that prevents from flying in?).

The 3D system could cause a lot of issues, but in the end if you manage to solve all the problems it will be a great addition to the game and future features.

Note: please don't make the acquisition of flying creatures or abilities random, you should earn it, not win in lottery.

I have no problem with jumping or flying being added, provided it doesn't allow players to bypass Deed / House security  ( ie jump /fly into a completely walled in deed / deed enclosure or land on top of a house thereby gaining access through a players roof etc ).

• Like 5

We can't even lockpick items on our own deeds despite the fact that just about anyone can lock items there. It just seems strange to allow people to fly right into our enclosures as well. :P (Freedom servers)

• Like 6

We can't even lockpick items on our own deeds despite the fact that just about anyone can lock items there. It just seems strange to allow people to fly right into our enclosures as well. :P (Freedom servers)

Very true, this is what I meant with looking to limit griefing oppertunities Rolf.

Even the post Kediec made about flying through the roof of peoples houses is an extremely good example of things that can be overlooked when adding a feature like this (it didnt even cross my mind that roofs are no-clip).

If you put this ingame, open a test server for everyone (even give non premium people the oppertunity to test it), lets say for 7 days (monday - sunday). And give people the full ability to fly/jump and let them test out the loopholes in deed security, house security, enclosure securtiy, dirtwall-crossing, flying over thornbushes... all that stuff.

Just give us a full toolset to test it out on the testserver.

Inlcuding us being able to make a deed there to see if all the settings we can currently choose keep out possible griefers without having to have "guards that shoot arrows", because frankly, I paid for my deed, a piece of land I set safe for myself, and I dont want to be forced to keep it safe from griefers by buying guards. I want to keep it safe from griefers by fine-tuning the settings in the deed-form!) (I'm freedom, so my thoughts reflect my worries about situations on freedom server, chaos/epic is on a completely different lvl)

+1 to jumping.....flying...or what ever as this would add much much flavor to the game.

And......Let them make TALL WALLS to have legal enclosures.....Which I think are abused as it is now anyhow.

Reduce the size allowed to 2 tiles from the house and make the walls part of the houses barrier......

Yes.... I think its time to look at what exactly enclosures were supposed to do and what they have become.

Edited by Protunia

I'm all for Flying and Jumping ......BUT pls BY MAGRANON'S BEARD ....no jumping or flying into a deed.

I totally walled my deed in for a reason. Why would i do all this work ...building walls....making gatehouses and gates.....locking them all only to have players jump over them or fly over and land in my deed when i don't want them there ?

I would say don't let players jump walls on-deed .....and as for Flying....don't let players land on-deed ...if they try to just have the game land them outside the wall.

As i said at the top of my post Flying and jumping would be great ....but pls don't allow this on-deed :S

• Like 2

Interesting concept on flying but and a big but ,it does open up a whole host of grief issues. The thought of someone killing off all my 5 speed horse for their entertainment I can do without. I agree with Garit there is a reason I walled off our deed..Im a grumpy old man now get off my lawn!!

• Like 4

As most of you know you can fall down into a fence or wall section and become trapped. We have the fix to this already, closing the hole at the top of the fence but it isn't ingame yet. However, it also means that you will be able to move over fences and stone walls if you can get high enough.

The good thing about this is that we could give you the possibility to fly in various ways. It is possible that it should be a fairly rare thing in Wurm but attainable to anyone who happens to find such a creature or ability and probably body control based. Such creatures should not be breedable.

The downside with flying is that it makes it a lot easier to get into areas and cause trouble especially on PvP servers.  That part could be fixed by adding arrows to settlement guards that easily shoot down hostile flying creatures or force them to land outside deed, so it's solvable. Even on freedom servers settlement guards could attack flyers that are not citizens or allies. It will become possible to jump over fences from the current dirt walls and rock sides though, especially if we add some jumping which we might want to.

Thirdly, there is a lot of discussion when it comes to the "legal enclosures" rule on the freedom servers. Adding flying would make it impossible to uphold that rule since you wouldn't even have to break a fence in order to land in someones enclosure. The rule already seems to create a lot of situations that end up in a grey zone of who is right or wrong which is undesirable so many on the team want it to go away anyways.

We would try to hold this implementation off for as long as possible since obviously you would need preparations but once a decision is made it would probably happen after a month or two.

Thoughts? This would have quite an impact on the game but flying and jumping is sort of interesting features. And we need to fix the getting stuck in fences/walls bug eventually.

Is it April Fools Day?  That was my first reaction on reading this post.   From the sentences I underlined, it appears you've already put in the dev time in on this.  Meaning you've already decided to do this.  Thanks for talking to us about it.  Guess you're still deciding when.

I'm frankly kinda speechless about this and probably should have waited til I'm more awake.  So many things running through my head.  I hate this.  More than I can express.  

Flying??   So why will we need walls or fences?  Just to keep out noobs with low bc?  Being grounded in Wurm is one of the things that makes everything else work, imo.  The majority of people I see posting in suggestions are always concerned with "realism."  People don't even want cooling in bsb's because it'll "burn the wood."  Watering flowers, nothing that increases travel speed, etc.  I can't believe my eyes seeing people actually thinking flying is a good idea.

Throwing out the enclosure rules but giving people time to "prepare?"  So basically just throwing people to the wolves.

And for what?  To fix a getting-stuck-in-walls bug?  With all the things people have been asking for......we get flying??  I have to say, this will very much ruin the best part of the game for me.  I can only imagine the repercussions on the pvp servers.

Sorry for the rant.  It's still early and I still have my face in a cup of coffee.  And I'm sure I'm just wasting effort here since, like I said, you appear to have already put the dev time into it and are just giving us your version of fair-warning.

• Like 15

I'm all for Flying and Jumping ......BUT pls BY MAGRANON'S BEARD ....no jumping or flying into a deed.

I totally walled my deed in for a reason. Why would i do all this work ...building walls....making gatehouses and gates.....locking them all only to have players jump over them or fly over and land in my deed when i don't want them there ?

I would say don't let players jump walls on-deed .....and as for Flying....don't let players land on-deed ...if they try to just have the game land them outside the wall.

As i said at the top of my post Flying and jumping would be great ....but pls don't allow this on-deed :S

Jumping would have to be connected to walls and what walls would be required to stop people from being able to jump over them.

Enclosures would have to be more than just the cheapest quickest form of wall and/or possibly reduced to so many tiles from the house.

Taller Walls seem to be the right choice to me to stop someone enough from being able to jump over them.

Like I said its time to look at enclosures and what they were intended to be and what they have become some people have abused this system IMHO.

As far as air space ( if flying above someones deed...)  simple do not allow them to land on a deed.

No no no, no need some new stuff like flying, better finish already shown new ideas and fix bugs, before made new stuff.

• Like 2

Being on freedom, the only reason I can think of to jump is to steal other peoples' stuff from inside their walls. I don't see how adding that can be a good thing.

In fact about the only benefit I can think of is to escape mobs more easily (not needing a gate) but then no doubt we'll just end up with spiders climbing over walls too  :rolleyes:

• Like 7

The question is how high we could fly.

Also the guards would have to do ALOT of damage to flying creatures so it prevents people flying to the token, drain it and fly away. But this could be done if you kill all guards and fly inside the deed. There would have to be some slope limit, lets say 100 or so.

You could also make jumping require more body control like other things to stop just anyone from quickly abusing a feature....

• Like 1

Death to off deed enclosures! End the reign of the "too cheap to deed" land barons and let the people take back the territory denied them by the greedy few and this stupid enclosure rule.

+1 I say add a ballista you can put on top of houses, and the guards or players can use it to shoot down the flying attackers. As for jumping, I think you shouldn't be able to jump over iron fences, stone fences, Hedges, Palisades, and tall stone walls; other then that I'm OK with it.

Edited by Roggeh

ridable flying creatures.. i like that

The good thing about this is that we could give you the possibility to fly in various ways. It is possible that it should be a fairly rare thing in Wurm but attainable to anyone who happens to find such a creature or ability and probably body control based. Such creatures should not be breedable.

there goes my hope for a pegasus breeding pit...

-1 to any change that lets people get onto my legally enclosed areas.

• Like 4

-1 to any change that lets people get onto my legally enclosed areas.

+1 to revamping what is a legal enclosed area........I would say less space allow from house and upping the required type of wall.

• Like 2