Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Feedback request on fence stuff

I have suggestions to fix this and allow flying but I'm not about to post them here. People hate my ideas just as much as they flame your's rolf. Maybe I will email you later today with my thoughts and counter abuse methods for this type of feature.

Seems like a good idea, but to ride such mobs should require a HIGH body control, I'm talking 40-50bc if you are looking for a number. But other than that i think this would be a neat idea.

Ok, so.. a new feature for the already Elite bunch of players who are 3 years ahead in character advancement, no thanks. Introduce a new skill and let everyone compete on the same terms.  Ok, some BC, like 25-30 could be in order, that can be done in half a year to a year by normal people. 

• Like 2

How can you get stuck in fences exactly ? Never happened to me ...

By falling into them from an upper floor

It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this and seems like it is something you are wanting to do. I also understand that this would be more of an issue with PvP but for me as a freedom player i have no issues with it. It will make the griefing a bit easier for off deed pens they could fly/jump in and kill all the animals in a pen things like that but i think we could adjust. 

The flying thing is okay with me as long as it is creature driven and not some rare spell. 

Edited by Kegan

-1 to Flying

+1 to fixing the fence stuck issue

PS: I've managed to get stuck in fences by inadvertantly walking into them at their corners from inside the corner's angle, on level ground. Logging out and logging back in fixed my situation, but it's still a bug that would be great to be fixed. Is this a different issue than any open post hole issue encountered when falling onto a fence?

Edited by Tristanc

How can you get stuck in fences exactly ? Never happened to me ...

I have seen a few examples personally.

Slipped down a slope into a tall stone wall - couldn't climb out or move anywhere - solution - someone bashed the wall.

Thrown into a tall stone wall by a drake spirit - couldn't move climb anywhere - solution - drake spirit killed me in it's own time.

The bug is real enough.

99% of the buildings is not designed to attack from the air, flying destroys player cooperation and and reduces terraforming!

• Like 1

Flying and stuck in a tree is not better as running and stuck in a wall :unsure:

Fixing the bugs is better as making more ...

OH NOES,i wont be able to laugh when someone asks how to jump on ca help anymore!!!

but seriously you should think about what to do with the freedom enclosure rules before you allow jumping or flying

and well since flying depending how its done will make boats useles,about how a spell u cast on boat to make them fly or something lol.

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1

Good to see that new ideas are being formulated and discussed with players, however, I cannot imagine Wurm with

flying in it.

i hope the jump is right click fence > jump over

and not have a space bar where people start jumping around in pvp. 

• Like 2

+1 to fixing fences and walls, even to jumping.  As to flying, it sounds interesting, but I foresee a huge change in PVP strategies to combat flying fighters coming in.  If you do implement this, be prepared to add a lot more weapons and deed code to counter their advantage.

I think most of us would prefer you work on getting cave houses/walls put in and coded now that i have had some time to think on it more. 

• Like 3

+ 1 to jumping fences.

+ 1 to flying if you could have it as direct flight path only.. For E.g you build a specific building in your town "Drake tower - whatever creature that is implemented into the game" have it so the town owner / building owner can have access to this.

for example have one at a starter town noob walks upto it and can select various locations to travel to "if the town owner has opened this up"  let there be a time limit to use this. Fast travel in WURM @@

Direct flight should fix issue with pvp servers... and could allow quick assemble of troops to defend a deed.

I must say that travel time should still be incurred so the flying creature has a speed of lets say 25km's and a possible upkeep charge for this building. just a thought 

• Like 5

Ppl are to afraid from any big changes which can shake their little world. Simple human fear from changes. I recall when ppl were very pessimistic about Cell phones coming into market as well :D

+1 to jumping and some sort of flying with high requirements.

(Plus with that you could solve this old Uniques penning issue - just make those darn dragons Fly, they got wings, they are dragons, they are Suppose to be Flying..)

That would give wurm whole new, hmm, game. Changes are required for game to grow. And im sure if such would actually get to be worked on, community would discuss best possible system for it to work.

Unlimited flying would be bit to OP, but gliding still has its perks and reasonable limitations.

• Like 6

No to flying, yes to jumping AND fixing the stuck-in-the-fence bug. 

Flying is just so inappropriate for everyday people in this setting that I have given myself a headache from rolling my eyes. However, a SPELL cast by a priest could grant the same kind of thing.

Or... how about adding a levitation type ability once sufficient meditation is reached, for the sole purpose of escaping from being stuck?

If you do implement it over all the objections I note in the posts before me, it better be at the same goddamn time as capes and masks...

• Like 1

Put the fix in, and get rid of any thoughts of 'flight'.  Falling and momentum would be cool, take a running jump off a cliff and be able to hit the water and take little to no damage, or be able to jump over fences if you can get enough forward momentum (ie, remove the ability to alter your direction and speed once you're airborne).  

First of all... WoW, that escalated quickly... from fixing a stuck in the wall bug to flying... Still its kinda awesome.

Second, if you can make people into gods, i can see flying as a perk for those guys, but should be really restricted, and would be great if dragons could fly (just make their AI more defensive, instead of aggressive - kinda like hell horses, so they don't just land on random places and wreak havoc).

On the enclosure thing. Yeah, its kinda abused, and although it was created to benefit free players so they can try the game, they are vastly abused by premium players making ql 50+ stone walled enclosures bigger than some deeds.

I do believe that we still need some arbitration and ruling towards off-deed stuff, not only for free players benefit, but because sometimes we end up needing some off-deed space for guests and such.

I'd probably constrain the enclosure rule to avoid abuse, (like limiting the perimeter of the enclosure) and keep the girief status to jumping over fences to steal stuff on the inside.

I mean even though i'm a bit overweight real world physics allow me to jump over fences into other people's property. Doesn't mean that i do it just because i can. So instead of limiting access to enclosed areas, maybe change the rules to prevent grieving actions like taking items, destroying crops, killing/taking animals from inside enclosures without the "owner's" permission.

Along with that, there's long overdue changes to deed permission systems:

- Allowing selective access by role to certain fence gates since for all intents and purposes leaving 0-24 on the gate settings is equivalent to having the gates unlocked, and allows critters like trolls to just stroll in.

- Separating the Take item permission on the deed settings from the tame animals permission, and maybe move these into roles, allowing us to give such permissions only to allies or certain citizens only.

These are mostly to prevent people from accessing areas that are left unlocked for the benefit of allies, or taking items on-deed by jumping walls in cases when the deed owners want to allow allies to tame their animals, for instance.

Other than that would be great to finally be able to jump around on Wurm, and hopefully this will be a new step towards a true 3D engine, and as such 3D mines.

I also like hmrezz's solution of direct flight paths. Could be a nice way to travel faster between allied villages (not instant though), and be a low tier flight option. But other higher end options, like flying gods, or a spell to enchant cloaks (when those come out) so they grant flight (but consume favor over time) could be a nice addition to the game, and take siegecraft on wurm to a new level, specially if you change how combat works to a more Mount and Blade-like combat. Would be awesome to have ballistae on rooftops to shoot down flyers.

Can even see new spells coming out for this:

Vynora could get a water based defensive spell "Downpour", would be a enchant tile spell that would force flyers to the ground with heavy rain or blizzards depending on the season. 1 charge per 10 casting power.

Magranon could get "Thermal Current" a enchant item to use on cloaks to fly by using favor, the higher the cast the lower the favor consumption. Would need linking to cast.

Fo could have a enchant creature "Fo's Boon" that would give Wings to certain creatures (Humans, Horses, Unicorns and hellhorses at least) But would give a penalty to health and stamina. Enchantment could be removed by the same spell.

Libila could have "undead wings" spell. Basically of off-shoot of the animate dead, but instead of a whole corpse it would animate the wings of parts of a animal (Dragon, chicken, pheasent, drake spirit, maybe some new ones) and then a BL could equip the item on his back slot and fy with it. The item would decay fairly fast. The same spell could be used to "kill" the wings made by Fo priests or give final death to other undead wings. (Killing Fo wings would name more equipable undead wings).

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 2

+1 will be fun

but oh boy this will be abused so badly in so many different ways.

Deed it or lose it will be the only way to go then, which isnt attractive to everyone.

I don't think it'd be that much of a problem in pvp, unless they're not really rare and a group of people get them, you probably wouldn't separate yourself from everyone to get inside a fence area

=Cornchips=

Edited by Cornchips
  • Like 3

Rolf can you fix valrei instead of going off to add flying and abilities that let you fly.

Gotta fix features before you move on to add more.

• Like 1

Mmmm, wth? Rolf you really want people on the Freedom PvE servers to no longer have any security in keeping people out of their walled areas by enabling others to jump or fly over them? And aggro mobs can not be kept out as well? And other players can possibly think for a moment that this is a good idea?

Yea, I got stuck in walls a few times. Even killed once not too long ago by a champ aggro when stuck and unarmored. Guess what the solution was in all instances? Log off and log on again. To eliminate the security of all enclosed areas with your suggestion as a solution to this problem is just something that I can not even imagine as being a reasonable solution to the problem of being "stuck in walls".

Create some stuck option if you must but I mean really, don't destroy the security of walled areas with this type of idea. There are already some people that cut down all trees, sand areas and dig deep pits in an area in which I reside. I surely don't want these types of jerks jumping over the perimeter walls that I took many hours to build to at least keep them out of my area. Please keep your player griefing enabling mechanisms limited to the pvp servers where people seem to enjoy these sort of "freedoms". Bizarre idea with which the negative implications somehow elude you?

=Ayes=

• Like 15

*facepalm* please no, we don't need flying or jumping in Wurm. 

What we really need is progress on the already promised features, some actual new content(useful things to build and use) and for the love of god some bug fixing! Not this new gimmicky crap every 5 freaking minutes. 

• Like 10

- Simply remove enclosures

- Freedom servers should have a Role option that disallows flying in the zone, this option should be turned on by default (So you cant fly over inactive deeds).

- It would be way to easy to explore mountains unless they have a maximum height above waterlevel

- Many trader houses don't have roofs, people could fly in and steal the money, needs looking at, i guess this also counts for pvp. Should not be able to fly above/into houses with open roofs.

- I do not think the game is ready to allow flying/fence jumping at this very moment, mainly because PVP will be easier and freedom deeds that are locked, are locked for a reason. If people wanted others to fly over and land they would just remove the fence gates.

You can also get stuck into housewalls just walking against them, i can reproduce that issue. 

• Like 3