Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Feedback request on fence stuff

As most of you know you can fall down into a fence or wall section and become trapped. We have the fix to this already, closing the hole at the top of the fence but it isn't ingame yet. However, it also means that you will be able to move over fences and stone walls if you can get high enough.

The good thing about this is that we could give you the possibility to fly in various ways. It is possible that it should be a fairly rare thing in Wurm but attainable to anyone who happens to find such a creature or ability and probably body control based. Such creatures should not be breedable.

The downside with flying is that it makes it a lot easier to get into areas and cause trouble especially on PvP servers.  That part could be fixed by adding arrows to settlement guards that easily shoot down hostile flying creatures or force them to land outside deed, so it's solvable. Even on freedom servers settlement guards could attack flyers that are not citizens or allies. It will become possible to jump over fences from the current dirt walls and rock sides though, especially if we add some jumping which we might want to.

Thirdly, there is a lot of discussion when it comes to the "legal enclosures" rule on the freedom servers. Adding flying would make it impossible to uphold that rule since you wouldn't even have to break a fence in order to land in someones enclosure. The rule already seems to create a lot of situations that end up in a grey zone of who is right or wrong which is undesirable so many on the team want it to go away anyways.

We would try to hold this implementation off for as long as possible since obviously you would need preparations but once a decision is made it would probably happen after a month or two.

Thoughts? This would have quite an impact on the game but flying and jumping is sort of interesting features. And we need to fix the getting stuck in fences/walls bug eventually.

• Like 20

ahhhhhh, wheres the other stuff we are waiting for.  I swear to God you guys have ADHD, cant start one thing and finish it without starting to work on another.

• Like 32

#1 I'm all for. I've always wanted to cut my commute from the north pole of Indi to the south shores.

#2. Can't comment much but knowing the pvp guys...probably will be thoroughly checked and tweaked and even "abused". Suggest you have them abuse the test server for a month and then reward them with 2 months prem or something.

#3. Don't like the enclosure rules. It's too easy to raid noobs on freedom and get away with it. Removing the whole rule would be for the best.

Seems like a good idea, but to ride such mobs should require a HIGH body control, I'm talking 40-50bc if you are looking for a number. But other than that i think this would be a neat idea.

• Like 3

I've been stuck a couple of times in walls from this situation, including once where I was also killed by a drake spirit because I couldn't move/fight/do anything (said drake threw me into the wall to start with...very cheating!) . A solution to this would be very welcome, especially if it has to do with the same code that means if you get off a cart inside a building as passenger you are looking at a certain relog, and occasional death.

Flying?

I'm really not sure - the ramifications could be horrendous. Your deed is so high no one can get above you...you're automatically safe.....

Your deed is parked in a pleasant hollow with a cliff wall as natural defense behind it....which now becomes a natural launch point for aggressive "gliders" to skim in over the walls.......hmmm....I think I hear screams already

Edited by Heboric
  • Like 2

+1 for flying and jumping

Griffons- BC 40 to ride, always agro unless tame/dominated ~ 70 taming to attempt to tame. Thinking similar to hellhounds in terms of combat ability. Make them slow on land (5km) and moderate in air (10km). Give them fairly short period where they can fly before needed to rest but have breeding options to improve this.

Or

If flying could be a karma thing perhaps 100/second or so pvp servers and 10/second for non-pvp servers.

Edited by Elen
  • Like 2

hell no, this will bring plenty of messed up situations, especially on pvp servers.

• Like 8

Ok, thanks for all the warning by the way greatly appreciated and yes this will probably shake things up alot.

Flying and jumping can wait but for the fence thing why not make the mesh collider/invisible thing we bump into (if thats what wurm uses i dont know how you code 3d in java) have a very tall steep upside down V on top to close the hole and stop people from crossing over. Then you can add jumping in without worry provided people can't jump 100 dirt into the air :\. About flying...i think that warrants its very own discussion. As for the BC requirement. personally i think 40-50 is too high. Yes i dont have enough i have 38BC , no that is not why i think its too high. I think its too high because among my friends and people i know i by far am ahead in BC, and they arent exactly newbs :\ most of them outdate me and often indy. As apart from dragons the current known highest BC requirement is 31 (hell horse). I would make it around 33-36. If you do go for 40+ however it will be a extra exclusive,no matter who can get their hands on the flying creature.

PS: Seriously lots of thanks for talking to us about the flying and jumping :) would have been chaos if they just got in.

Edited by Blob
  • Like 2

OK, give us all wings to fly. We are all dragons :P

But we are humans :wacko:

- 1 to flying

+1 to flying, to be honest itll change alot for freedom but i believe in the end itll be for the better and will maybe bring some attention to the failing enclosure rules

• Like 1

+1 to flying ONLY if it needs some serious body control like 40-50+ 

Also just remove the whole enclosure rule on freedom, make it deed it or lose it thing.

While Flying creatures and overall flying by itself seems a little bit disturbing considering it makes deeds on mountains pointless in return it could be turned into something much better.

How about gliders? In order to get somewhere you allready need to be higher up. It would create a new profession tieing alot of skills together, could be Ql dependant on drop per tile and could also have slight fail rates depending on Body characteristics / Ql  making the whole experience entertaining and scary. It would both enable a form of fast exploration, various tactics to be used in field + ensure mountainous deeds are not pointless.

the enclosure issues still persist and will need to be looked at (F2P simple homesteads of small size and basic of basic protections and no decay protection?).

• Like 4

Ok, thanks for all the warning by the way greatly appreciated and yes this will probably shake things up alot.

Flying and jumping can wait but for the fence thing why not make the mesh collider/invisible thing we bump into (if thats what wurm uses i dont know how you code 3d in java) have a very tall steep upside down V on top to close the hole and stop people from crossing over. Then you can add jumping in without worry provided people can't jump 100 dirt into the air :\. About flying...i think that warrants its very own discussion. As for the BC requirement. personally i think 40-50 is too high. Yes i dont have enough i have 38BC , no that is not why i think its too high. I think its too high because among my friends and people i know i by far am ahead in BC, and they arent exactly newbs :\ most of them outdate me and often indy. As apart from dragons the current known highest BC requirement is 31 (hell horse). I would make it around 33-36. If you do go for 40+ however it will be a extra exclusive,no matter who can get their hands on the flying creature.

PS: Seriously lots of thanks for talking to us about the flying and jumping :) would have been chaos if they just got in.

I suggested it 40-50 so we don't have 90 jk players flying into hota on their massive dragons. 

• Like 1

The downside with flying is that it makes it a lot easier to get into areas and cause trouble especially on PvP servers.

It works both ways. If you skip the whole 'bash down the wall' and somehow jump over fences, then you're probably stuck inside those fences.

I think it's be pretty cool, but preferably after a lot of testing to make sure it's working really well.

• Like 3

Of course if flight was actually introduced it would stand to reason it would need some kind of "anti aircraft" counterbalance.

Some kind of medieval SAM capability.

• Like 4

Seems like a good idea, but to ride such mobs should require a HIGH body control, I'm talking 40-50bc if you are looking for a number. But other than that i think this would be a neat idea.

I very very very much agree with this, and I am not even close.

Sounds cool. Jumping and climbing over stuff adds alot of realism but you have to have restrictions to protect peoples privacy, even on PvP servers. Guards attacking people trying to jump walls, tagging people as outlwas etc. could work but I don't think it will be much liked on Freedom. 

I can also see this introducing huge amounts of bugs. Considering how easy it is to get stuck already without jumping and flying. 

So, overall, a very nice addition but not unless really thought through and bugfree implementation. There is also the list of things that have been in the pipeline for a long time that would be higher on the list, right?

• Like 2

+1 to jumping...BIG BIG -1 to flying I mean...WHAT?! There are so many things this games needs and people actually want. Flying is not one of them...

• Like 7

How can you get stuck in fences exactly ? Never happened to me ...

Out of all the things that could be altered and fixed with wurm, you are going to put in flying? :D HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I do admire your thought process Rolf, I really do, its actually is something special.

I would like flying and other siege weapons to counter flying etc, but damn do a LOT of testing on it first please :)