Sign in to follow this  
Necromateur

Merchant Logs

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I couldn't find any threads about it, so here goes:

I believe there should be a way to see what all has sold, what taxes have been paid, and when they were sold/paid. Perhaps this could be an excel file created in the Wurm folder or something as simple as typing "/merchantlog" and retrieving the last 30 days of sales in a new window. 

For those of us that enjoy the economics aspect to this game, there should be a way to keep track of it in-game. I realize I can make my own spreadsheet, but I just think it would be better to have that functionality in the game. And that goes for a trader as well. 

• Like 5

Although this would be cool, specially to see who bought stuff from you so you can thank them if you want, or just to keep track of things.

I don't know how detailed are the logs kept by the server itself, and if it wouldn't be a bit of a load to have the ability to dump this stuff on command, even with such low number of players/merchants.

I still got faith left in Rolf to believe that doing a get info on your merchant will keep the server from crashing

Been suggested before and -1 again....its up to you to keep track.

You can't just -1 everything.  There is nothing about this idea that is game breaking or changes the grind.  No reason that we will ALWAYS have to keep track ourselves, that is what computers were made for.

• Like 1

You can't just -1 everything.  There is nothing about this idea that is game breaking or changes the grind.  No reason that we will ALWAYS have to keep track ourselves, that is what computers were made for.

I don't -1 everything......I just think its up to the player to keep track of their merchants and what they sell not the games.

I don't -1 everything......I just think its up to the player to keep track of their merchants and what they sell not the games.

It's a report, they only have to be set up once and if properly done don't take much time to run.  After all, the game is a database and databases are made for providing reports.  They could also provide more detailed info than we get now on our sales.  Besides, we are only talking the last 30 days, if anyone wants details for a long period they will still have to save the reports and work with that data for long term trends.  This is the kind of improvement to a game that computers were made for, why do you want to keep this game static?

• Like 1

Why would it be up to the player to keep track of his/her merchant's transactions? A merchant is an NPC in Wurm. He represents a living being in that game. Being a merchant is his job, so he should keep track of his transactions and report those to his business owner.

If I hire a merchant IRL, I fully expect him to give me an account of what he has done in the last month. I can keep my own records to ensure he is doing his job, but part of his employment includes letting me know everything about his recent operations.

• Like 4

Why would it be up to the player to keep track of his/her merchant's transactions? A merchant is an NPC in Wurm. He represents a living being in that game. Being a merchant is his job, so he should keep track of his transactions and report those to his business owner.

If I hire a merchant IRL, I fully expect him to give me an account of what he has done in the last month. I can keep my own records to ensure he is doing his job, but part of his employment includes letting me know everything about his recent operations.

I couldn't have said that better myself. Your logic is infallible. 

I love this idea. And if you wanted to go super stalker style - perhaps after a merchant has made a certain amount of money from the sales (say, 20s or so - so that is like 2g in sales on your part), it levels up and provides more detailed reports such as people who browsed, how long they browsed and what items they examined?

I love this idea. And if you wanted to go super stalker style - perhaps after a merchant has made a certain amount of money from the sales (say, 20s or so - so that is like 2g in sales on your part), it levels up and provides more detailed reports such as people who browsed, how long they browsed and what items they examined?

LOL!  it levels up.......people just write down your crap and keep better track if thats what you want.

This is not RL and they are there to help you not do all your work for you.

You are the seller they are just but a tool to help you sell when you are offline.

They already give you your total sales and I really do not see one good reason at all you should get complete item reports.

Heck I cant even find out who sent me something in the mail....................

I would say +1 to that before any such merchant item reporting.

Edited by Protunia

This been needed from day one. We all play this game for a different reason, some like to be a merchant, some likes to be a warrior, some likes to be a troll...lol

But anyhow, there are Money to be made in this game, so let the "merchants" get their share fun of it!

Heck I cant even find out who sent me something in the mail....................

I would say +1 to that before any such merchant item reporting.

Why would you +1 mail logs, but not merchant logs?

In RL, do you write down who all sends you packages and when they're sent and what it was they sent you? Probably not, but I can bet that you keep receipts of things you buy, and if you do things the way you're supposed to, I bet you keep receipts of the goods/services you sell too. 

So why would you +1 mail logs but not merchant logs and then turn around and troll everyone else for +1 a merchant log?

I mean, it's not like this is going to make the game 'easy' nor will it make a bunch of people stop playing if they were to add the functionality of a merchant log. It just seems like you're trolling people on here. 

Yeah, I can keep track of this stuff on my own (what I've listed and then what is left on my trader when I return -- how much I listed it for), but I would MUCH rather pull up a log of what I listed, for what price it was listed and when it was purchased and how many of them were purchased. 

Doesn't seem like too much to ask. 

• Like 2

Necromateur; some people cant be reasoned with. Adapt and overcome.

Some people feel the need to argue even with such a simple fact that 1+1 equals 2. Why bother arguing with them?

I agree. Some kind of merchant log, perhaps delivered in an IC way, needs to be brought in. I can keep track of what I had on a merchant and what was sold, but the merchant - who is my hired NPC - should be able to tell me when an object was sold and to whom. Keeping a tab on your customer base is part of good business.

We all want economy to be better and better in Wurm. To me, this would be a small but important step in the right direction.

Too much complexity came from the responses.

+1 to a simple log that shows what was sold, and how much coins. 

Showing how long, and WHO it was, too much detail, database load, etc.

The idea is great though, we sell everything our settlement wants to sell, on a merchant, and it's hard to know who I must pay for what.