Sign in to follow this  
MattSquare

Enough is Enough. Fix the Lag in PvP.

So after the fight on JKH last night against a group of seven BLers, there was something that needed to be addressed. It wasn't the attitudes of the players on either side. It wasn't any malicious action or intent. It was the lag.

We got on a knar and chased BL. I can't say specifically how bad it was for others, but I was averaging 10-20 FPS until the moment we popped local of enemies. At that point, my framerate instantly dropped below 10. BL got away, we sailed around until we got some horses to chase them inland. As we got to the edge of their local, my framerate again (instantly) dropped below 5. I had to relog mid chase, which did little to help. As we engaged, my framerate was 3 FPS at best, often around 1. I felt like I was watching a slide show of a PvP video. I could not mouse over anyone to see a name or target. I could not move to get into an advantageous position or to get away from an aggressor. I ended up popping defensive at half health and trying to get away, as I could not deal with the lag. I died backing away. We managed to kill the BLers, but that isn't the point. On both sides, we experienced horrible lag. Neither side was at their best because we were all lagging. Both sides had players that needed to relog mid-fight. How can you PvP when you can't even tell what's going on, take any action, or move your character?

Please, this is something that needs to be fixed as soon as possible. I don't care if the servers have to be shut down for a month, fix it.

• Like 2

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7FYM_iciM4

A lot of BL lagged too, not evident in the recording but you can hear some in the comms.

Edited by Propheteer

bad FPS and lag are two diferent things, its not even apples and oranges, its more like apples and cars

In the video the guy is getting 45 fps on average. When I record videos in 1080p I average 20-25 fps but I have to turn some of the settings down. You might want to do the same Joe.

Edited by blayze

Yeah, Rolf should just turn the lag switch off. Why he ever installed it in the first place is beyond me. After that he can drop by your house and remove the fps-limiter from your computer.

• Like 4

Yeah, Rolf should just turn the lag switch off. Why he ever installed it in the first place is beyond me. After that he can drop by your house and remove the fps-limiter from your computer.

Your sarcasm is sad.

He should really optimize his code, along with all the other developers to make it easier on the players.

In the video the guy is getting 45 fps on average. When I record videos in 1080p I average 20-25 fps but I have to turn some of the settings down. You might want to do the same Joe.

And not everyone has a great computer, Java hates laptops in general, which Joe has, It hates WinXP ever since it went Java 7, and Java 6 is glitchy as hell with Wurm now. :\

Edited by Zwei
  • Like 1

I have a laptop and a desktop, I was on the laptop at the time, but that's not the point. I was not the only one experiencing lag and a major drop in FPS. Players from both sides were having problems, players from both sides had to relog. Some were complaining about laggy right click menus.

I'd like to point out, that those lags are probably fueled by memory leaks aswell. If I run accros half the island and have various groups of people constantly pop in and out. i'll end up having crazy stuttering constantly even with no one in local, while otherwise having 60fps. Rolf needs to optimize Wurm really badly, the client is a mess.

So +1

• Like 1

I'd like to point out, that those lags are probably fueled by memory leaks aswell. If I run accros half the island and have various groups of people constantly pop in and out. i'll end up having crazy stuttering constantly even with no one in local, while otherwise having 60fps. Rolf needs to optimize Wurm really badly, the client is a mess.

So +1

Ya, I can definitely agree that it is a memory leak problem.   I have the same problem.  

So +1

Yeah i get same , like a stuttering freeze then catch up a second or two ahead and same cause when travel far, only fix is a relog sounds like memory leak.

Yeah i get same , like a stuttering freeze then catch up a second or two ahead and same cause when travel far, only fix is a relog sounds like memory leak.

Ya.... relog during PvP.... lol 

Its not allways been a problem, just since Rolf switched to this new java shader stuff, at least for me.  

Java is famous for memory leaks, and I guess Wurm is no exception.  However, most other instances I've seen it become a problem I've also seen it fixed in the end.     Dev team needs to devote time to streamline stuff, I'd deffinately put that over new features any day.  

Its like trying to add rocket boosters to a cardboard box.  First you build a solid vehicle then you build the addons.    Just a suggestion.  I think they are doing great work, just need to put that same effort into trying to fix what we got atm.    

Edited by Battlepaw

I find that any java game disagrees with any computers. Don't blame Rolf blame java, however there could be a fix if they spent a little time on it. It'd be nice to see that sort of thing instead of making the game larger and buggier. Fix the things that are already broken.

• Like 1

even with the new servers the lag is still bad it kind of builds up till my comp freezes for a few seconds then i have to re log.