Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Signal Fires/Bon Fires

Signal Fire  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would a bon-fire or signal fire be a nice feature to have?

• Yes, please.
    • No, thank you.
    • Light my world on fire!

We have charcoal piles in the game that produce a slight bit of light and smoke, but it isn't intended to be a spectacle or a waypoint.  Wouldn't it be nice to have a proper bon-fire or signal fire that produces light, fire, and most importantly a large pillar of smoke that trails high in to the Wurm sky, visible from very far away?  The mechanics shouldn't be too difficult behind it, and creating it could use most of the same exact materials that a charcoal pile uses.  The light it produces could be the intensity of the fire in a forge or oven, so as not to overload and rendering.  For an idea of the smoke trail, currently there is one over the Howl due to the Christmas celebration.  Seeing the smoke trail would be like any other object from far away:  dependent on your render distance settings.

Vote, comment, debate.

Edited by Slickshot

The lag. Think of the children.

Very likely to not lag in any significant way.

Edited by Slickshot

Remind me of dark souls, one of the best console mmo's i ever played. +1

I've actually really been wanting to play that game.  Looks fantastic!

I've actually really been wanting to play that game. Looks fantastic!

The pvp in that game is awesome ;)

• Like 1

The pvp in that game is awesome ;)

Well hopefully we'll get signal-fires in Wurm, because that's the only way it'll be anything like Dark Souls. lol

+0 at the moment.  The issue I can see is 100 signal fires in a local area really hitting rendering.

Some kind of limitation (signal fires must be 100 or more tiles apart) would turn this into a big +1.

+0 at the moment.  The issue I can see is 100 signal fires in a local area really hitting rendering.

Some kind of limitation (signal fires must be 100 or more tiles apart) would turn this into a big +1.

Less restriction.  I'd say 50 tiles apart just like guard towers.

Due to the nature of what you are making I'd say it is fine if it only lasts for about 15-30 minutes and uses coal pile materials plus a few dozen grass or saplings or something for making the smoke more visable.

Due to the nature of what you are making I'd say it is fine if it only lasts for about 15-30 minutes and uses coal pile materials plus a few dozen grass or saplings or something for making the smoke more visable.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 2 - 3 real life hours.

Although smoke is the primary function for these things, i wouldn't want to see them added until the light engine is fixed.
Currently the only lights you can see from a distance are lava spiders. That bothers me.

-1 If they produce light and smoke

+1 if they only produce smoke

Edited by Steveleeb

Although smoke is the primary function for these things, i wouldn't want to see them added until the light engine is fixed.

Currently the only lights you can see from a distance are lava spiders. That bothers me.

-1 If they produce light and smoke

+1 if they only produce smoke

Yeah the smoke is what interests me the most.  The smoke trail would be very useful to help people (noobs) find their way to villages.  Also useful to mark event locations, just like Santa Clause who shoots a beam of acid-trip out of his head.

• Like 1