Sign in to follow this  
snowblind

what is the gift

I wouldn't wonder if there isn't any gift next year...

LOL! :D  after the last few years.....could care less myself.

But I do <3 the BS from the bashers on both sides. ;)

Like was said interesting read and worth sitting down with a bowl of......popcorn1-237x300.jpg

Edited by Protunia
  • Like 1

'Never look a gift horse in the mouth'

Some of the people here need to actually go look that up and learn where it comes from and what it means.

And if you behave like this in real life, I'm damn glad I don't know you - the 'gimmegimmegimme' factor of some people is off the fercking charts.

Personally - I love this lantern, post me yours COD if you don't want it, happy to accept it as the gift it is.

Thanks for the present, Rolf and team!

• Like 1

3527893-805592-boy-with-popcorn.jpg

^_^

Actually a list to choose from with like 4 gifts can be good. Maybe next year.

A couple of wool socks (cloth shoes) are doable to next year  :lol:  , then you not only get em from your wife's but also from the game you play  :D

• Like 5

A couple of wool socks (cloth shoes) are doable to next year   :lol:

How about just 1 sock? then next christmas they give out the other one, just to make sure people stay on the game longer? :D

• Like 1

Looking at this and your forum signature, please calm down. There's no divide in this game between pvp and pvers and if there is, then it's in your head. This is the holidays, and I hope you can take it in your heart to not be a forum warrior. We can all love each other and not get so angry over things, take a step back, realize that this is a game, and that people play contrary to how you play. Accept their point of view, and wish them a happy holidays. 

Like I'm doing now ;)

Happy holidays! 

Lol, you must be new here. There is and has always been a divide between PvP and PvE servers, and usually the PVE servers even though being the majority are usually on the loosing end of the situation, the only exception to this has been the Legendary titles. Xandra is right, although maybe a bit overreacting, still right.

The new lantern is only useful because apparently it runs on dry, without fuel.

First of all, it has unique look, just drop it.

And second, please show me where you saw blackmsmiths sell 99 ql lanters/tools... 

Waiting.

If you are so unhappy with present give it away. It is unique since it has rotted yet and 99ql lanters is almost imposible to make.

People don't sell 99ql lanterns because its a waste of 99 ql iron since the benefit from 10-20 extra ql are far outweighed by the cost of the 99ql iron, but in no way are they almost impossible to make. Its very hard for normal freedom players to get to a level of skill where they can make it, but nowhere impossible, and blacksmith is fairly easy to level up. A 99ql steel sword, that is a very tough item to make. A 99ql iron lantern isn't.

And even though the snow lantern is 99ql its effect is lesser than a ql 70 normal iron lantern which nobody sells because its so common, not because its hard to make.

I'm actually using the snow lantern for now, my ql 70 rare lantern was damaged, and reduced to 60 ql, so now its sitting in a forge waiting for me to have a chance to reimp it. When i do so, i'll readily switch back.

Mind you that the snow lantern could be a awesome item, if it wasn't for being badly thought of. I for one try to get rid of any excess weight on my character, so i use a bag instead of a backpack, use studded leather instead of chain, and stopped running around with my shield, and only use it when i really need it for stuff like greenish trolls or something.

So having a lantern with over 3 times the weight of a regular iron lantern, is the same as telling me not to use it, then knowing it can't be dyed, and doesn't actually light up that much when compared to normal iron lanterns. One has to wonder if its a gift or the new wurm equivalent to a lump of coal. In fact i'm thinking many people would like a 2.5 kg lump of ql 99 coal more than that lamp.

How about just 1 sock? then next christmas they give out the other one, just to make sure people stay on the game longer? :D

Ye that's great :)  or at least it will get the trade going for those who wants a pair .

• Like 1

I actually enjoy the snowball and am thankful for it. That is probably because it has an actual use for me. I am returning to the game and found most of my stuff had rotted away. With basic tools left I repaired my boat and hit the sea. Without this snowball lamp I would not have personal light. Therefore words can not express how thankful I am for it!

People don't sell 99ql lanterns because its a waste of 99 ql iron since the benefit from 10-20 extra ql are far outweighed by the cost of the 99ql iron, but in no way are they almost impossible to make. Its very hard for normal freedom players to get to a level of skill where they can make it, but nowhere impossible, and blacksmith is fairly easy to level up. A 99ql steel sword, that is a very tough item to make. A 99ql iron lantern isn't.

And even though the snow lantern is 99ql its effect is lesser than a ql 70 normal iron lantern which nobody sells because its so common, not because its hard to make.

Lanterns are not easy to imp. I don't know who gave you the idea that all blacksmith items raise equally and that because getting high blacksmith is "fairly easy", imping anything BS is simple. It's wrong.

I have all the high ql iron I could want. I keep most of my toolset above 90ql. I don't do so with my lantern because the struggle involved with improving it (and keeping it up there) is not worth the benefit. Has nothing to do with the cost of iron. Iron is free.

Miniroll, I think you just hit on the mother of all loyalty programs. Forget seryll. Forget fireworks and yellow potions. Give them one sock for Christmas and they will ENSURE they are there next year to get the rest of the pair :)

• Like 1

Just hand out some wood scrap...

It might be enough for some people anyways.

A man comes to the doctor and says, "Doctor, I am so unhappy. Everything I do brings me no joy. Life is frustrating, I didn't get what I wanted for Christmas and I barely find a reason to get out of the bed in the morning. Can you help me?"

"Of course," the doctors says, "I know exactly what you need. You have to buy a goat."

"A goat!?" the man exclaims, "Are you sure?"

"Yes," the doctor confirms, "Trust me."

The man leaves the doctor's office, but in 2 months, he is back.

"Doctor!" he exclaims as he comes in and before he even sits down, visibly angry, "You told me to get a goat so that I can be happy! Well, I bought one and it's a constant nightmare! The thing just eats all day, leaves food bits everywhere, makes a huge mess wherever it goes, it sh*ts all over the place, it stinks terribly, it destroys my house, my yard and my garden. I am so miserable! Way more than I was before!! What in the world were you thinking!?'

"Well," the doctor replies calmly, "now sell it."

The next day the man sold the goat and became the happiest he has been for a long, long time.

Wurm Team. Next year, give everyone a goat.

Edited by Valdor
  • Like 6

Hi,

Okay, so in your country, it is customary for business partners to send super thoughtful Christmas gifts to each other.[...]

In fact, I had written:

[...] but at least here it's common practice to sometimes (not mandatory) send XMas gifts. [...]

(bold by me)

OK, let's stop this. You're raging now, blind as such, and wouldn't understand any arguments at all, as_I_see, and it's holidays, so no more reason nor benefit by further discussion.

There's no divide in this game between pvp and pvers and if there is, then it's in your head.

KanePT has answered this here, better than I'd had been able to do ever :).

And I'm not against one kind or another, I'd love to see PvP prosper as PvE already does in Wurm - actually, I'd love to participate in a Wurmian PvP that deserves this name. But PvP where a few old-timers have insane skills (due to windows of opportunity) and insane items (due to old gifts) isn't PvP, it's a parody of PvP, IMHO. PlayerVersusTimeSpent, maybe, PvTS? This doesn't exactly make me excited.

And Epic isn't an option for me, I'm not after a "Wurm Light" that still has the same problems.

Final words in this thread:

You might disagree with me, but I always thought that gifts should be "something special". If wool socks, self made and well fitting, better than what you can buy for some copper from the next cheap discounter, why not?

But a lantern, that needs candles instead of tar or oil, that is by far less effective lighting compared to a decent white painted QL 70 iron lantern, and has a multiple of its weight - this is cheap discounter wool socks. Right?

The more, when initially a really great present was shown ...

I still think that a farwalker amulet would have been more welcome to the majority of the PvP community, too. It would have been a step towards a more even playing ground, and would have made PvP more attractive. Right?

All in all, I'm not complaining.

I'm not entitled to receive an XMas present at all, and I'm not among those that started speculation about even in September, too.

But if I get a gift, I'd prefer to get a nice one. Getting woolen socks from the bargain sales from the local discounter doesn't make me happy, at all. And even my old aunt wouldn't even think of giving me such, she'd be too proud.

Have fun, and I'm out'a here.

PS: Kudos to KaiH, this one is brilliant! Shows once more that using examples is a mistake in itself ...

• Like 1

Then no one wants to trade a spyglass for my snowball lantern? :(

I've never understood how some can write so much about so little and still don't reply to all the questions that were asked.

• Like 1

I still think that a farwalker amulet would have been more welcome to the majority of the PvP community, too. It would have been a step towards a more even playing ground, and would have made PvP more attractive. Right?

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/84788-disable-fw-amulets-in-enemy-presence/

Most of chaos wants farwalkers changed/removed and refunded, and everyone on epic was pretty upset when farwalkers were the accidental present.

• Like 2

I like it too.

EDIT: removing opinion on some.

happy new year to everyone else!

Edited by Marlon

I've been away over Christmas and missed santa. Anyone moaning about their gift are welcome to post it to me! Then it'll be appreciated as it should.

I've been away over Christmas and missed santa. Anyone moaning about their gift are welcome to post it to me! Then it'll be appreciated as it should.

Last I checked trees are still up.....oops.

[14:48:56] It is not christmas so there are no gifts from Santa beneath the tree.

oh well guess you can still try to get one from someone else ;)

Edited by Protunia

Hi,

Most of chaos wants farwalkers changed/removed and refunded, and everyone on epic was pretty upset when farwalkers were the accidental present.

Cannot resist, even if I'm out here (Yeah, sometimes resistance is futile ...):

"Orb" took offense at my signature (here), but isn't this a perfect example where different mechanics for PvP and PvE would be a benefit for the game? When PvP doesn't want it, well, give them anything else ...

Whereas I doubt the majority of  the PvP people would have minded such gift - the thread you linked to talked about a situation where only a few selected ones had such, and it's use should get disabled in enemy presence only?

Would everybody have an FW amulet, this thread would be obsolete, right?

Have fun!

Hi,

OK, let's stop this. You're raging now, blind as such

There's a difference between rage and frustration, Xandra:

You are raging because you don't like your Christmas gift, hence your rude posts.

I am frustrated because I keep reading ungrateful posts from you and others.

Hope we sorted that out.

Have fun!

I have to say that I'm rather disappointed that I couldn't even get my Christmas gift because I was busy for the holidays, as I'm sure others were too. It would have been nice for the window to get the gift to have lasted longer than a week. Oh well.