Sign in to follow this  
snowblind

what is the gift

Duplicate due to poor forum software, plz delete!

Edited by Xandra

Xandra at this point you're really only embarrassing yourself. Calm down and stop complaining.

Just imagine if the farwalkers had stayed in. 

Multiply the snow lantern complaints by a few powers. 

• Like 1

Hi,

with all due respect I doubt you're the one to tell me to "Learn some manners".

I don't think I did say anything heavily wrong in my post (I have an open ear for suggestions!), and your [censored] attack here is appalling, and obviously drawn from thin air. You might consider yourself to "learn some manners". What you delivered here isn't but a sure sign of you lacking those. I assume a bad mood, can happen during the holidays, right?

I don't know if you have other business partners but games companies, but at least here it's common practice to sometimes (not mandatory) send XMas gifts. For sure you can send woolen socks, but you'll not earn a lot of love doing so. Gifts in business relations are, in my view, essential to show gratitude and respect, and always should be deeply considered and customized to the recipient.

This hasn't been done this year. Farwalkers have been given out at first - a good choice IMHO (as I explained in the deleted thread). Finally a step to a little more even playing ground in PvP! And a nice have-to on PvE.

But after the expectable cry-out of the PvP Ubers (that have them already, and don't want the unwashed masses to have it, too) this has been changed, to quickly made 2.5kg heavy lanterns - a desperate band-aid?

And so we got the famous woolen socks. Nothing other available in the short time, yeah.

I'd have had no problem to receive a message like "Sry, our intended XMas present bugged - we'll deliver asap!", or even if not getting a gift at all - but getting woolen socks was regarded as insulting here. Remember, Rolf isn't my old senile aunt!

You told me to "learn some manners". With all due respect, I regard this as insulting, and would like to throw the same ball back to you. Assuming a bad mood or whatever. No need for excuses, sh*t happens ;-)

Have fun!

Looking at this and your forum signature, please calm down. There's no divide in this game between pvp and pvers and if there is, then it's in your head. This is the holidays, and I hope you can take it in your heart to not be a forum warrior. We can all love each other and not get so angry over things, take a step back, realize that this is a game, and that people play contrary to how you play. Accept their point of view, and wish them a happy holidays. 

Like I'm doing now ;)

Happy holidays! 

I don't know if you have other business partners but games companies, but at least here it's common practice to sometimes (not mandatory) send XMas gifts. For sure you can send woolen socks, but you'll not earn a lot of love doing so. Gifts in business relations are, in my view, essential to show gratitude and respect, and always should be deeply considered and customized to the recipient.

Okay, so in your country, it is customary for business partners to send super thoughtful Christmas gifts to each other. In my country, it's rarely heard of. And this is the internet, so your point is?

Let's pretend we're all in your country and share the same customs you do. Since Rolf is your business partner, what gift did you get for him for Christmas? Mind telling us before you continue ranting about how bad his "wool socks" are? It would give us something to compare it with. And also, do you also complain to your other "business partners" if they give a "thoughtless" gift? In my country, that's considered rude.

And yes, Xandra, I have many "business partners" in the real world, excluding gaming. In fact, I don't consider the people I do business with for leisurely purposes "business partners". If I did though, Rolf would be the only one in the gaming department.

The gift is nice, all the outrage by people calling others ingrates while sounding like Rolf's champions, fanboy's etc is a better gift to me than the lamp.

Jumping on people for not liking something and having the audacity to complain doesn't make you sound any better imo.

• Like 2

99 ql lamp, is a pretty lame gift. I put it right up there with, tube socks from the dollar store.

i love the lamp a no oil needing lamp. love it.   but ya  I did get 3 bag of socks for xmas.  ya me....  love my wife, i love my wife . i love my wife. sorry had to type that to make it true ;-)

When I first read this post it started me thinking a bit about they yearly christmas gift given out to players. In that respect I see it as to be something given out to paying players to express appreciation for them supporting the game by paying to play it. As you might note free players do not get these gifts. With this in mind, I would think that someone who has the ability to create a lantern within the game would want to design it with consideration to express this appreciation by the functions of this item. If not much detailed thought is put into the design of it that would express to me less concern for those to whom it is given, the paying players.

Considering the above statements I reserve judgment on this lantern as an expression of appreciation for now since there are some questions remaining to be seen over time such as: will it run out of fuel, if then can it be refueled and with what, will it decay and maybe some things I have overlooked. Yes, it is overweight quite a bit even as to a common lantern, which is a poor design in that it punishes the player for carrying it in place of the common lantern. One negative and if not intentional to punish the player then a poor oversight in the design of it.

I really don't see these Wurm christmas presents to the paying players as a personal christmas gift from individuals, so I think this comparison holds no validity in this respect. If a online gaming company wants to show appreciation for their paying customers with a christmas gift it is my opinion that the design of this item should be made in the best manner possible to convey this to the player (paying customer). Time will tell if this lantern meets those standards or is merely something thrown out there with not enough due consideration to the impression that it ultimately makes upon those to whom it is given.

=Ayes=

holy ! the farwalker was the first gift , why was it changed to the lantern ?.... not saying the lantern is a bad gift , thankful for anything =)

#TEARS

I like my lantern. It is a gift, it is free, it is non-craftable rare object. Stored it in token :P

I like the lantern.

Though I wouldn't mind the wool socks as well. My circulation isn't what it used to be and my toes get cold.

The real gift was not the lantern but the forum drama after it. Thanks Rolf a perfect time sink for when you are on the road.

Things aren't as black and white as everyone wants to show. When someone with unlimited powers gives you a present, that has worse functionality, than a mediocre blacksmith can create, then it is crap. So far xmas gifts have offered some unique functionality or visuals( http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Category:Gifts ). Current one does nothing, yes on ground it looks a different than anything else, but it is a personal lantern. 

To lancelot: Just an example. When you, a master weaponsmith, would go to FM and start giving 10ql swords as presents, I wonder how much gratitude you would see, despite the fact that they are free.

First of all, it has unique look, just drop it.

And second, please show me where you saw blackmsmiths sell 99 ql lanters/tools... 

Waiting.

If you are so unhappy with present give it away. It is unique since it has rotted yet and 99ql lanters is almost imposible to make.

Edited by Blazer

please show me where you saw blackmsmiths sell 99 ql lanters/tools... 

Epic?

First of all, it has unique look, just drop it.

And second, please show me where you saw blackmsmiths sell 99 ql lanters/tools... 

Waiting.

If you are so unhappy with present give it away. It is unique since it has rotted yet and 99ql lanters is almost imposible to make.

Like I was saying, lets compare functionality... It is 99ql, which brightness competes only with <50ql lanterns. Since it has no "plant" option, it is meant as personal light source, so its unique looks is completely pointless(you can drop lantern on the ground too and light it, but how many use the option), as when it is being carried around, it is not visible anyway(something, which made soft caps stand out, despite having no real function).

Talking about "shut up and have manners". It is just business, christmas gifts in games are part of marketing campaign. Their aimed to old players, who have let their prem/sub to run out(or are thinking about it), to reprem/resub by giving away nice stuff, so people, would feel that they miss a lot, when they don't get the item. Can get away with it once, but when he keeps giving junk repeatedly,the effect is lost. Presents from aunts, grandparents etc are something completely different.

• Like 1

The woolen socks is an even more "welcome" gift as we know that our older cousins, only some years ago, got a Harley, a serious sum of money and a "1st class holiday in the sun" (Spyglass, Bag of Keeping, Sculpting wand) from our dear aunt, as well as even a 99-lifes-charm (Farwalker amulet) once!

the aunt suffered the loss of the relative she gifted the Harley as he died in an accident with the bike;

the relative with the sum of cash went to Las Vegas and is now addicted to gambling - he calls her now and then to ask for more money;

the 1st class holiday wasn't the best idea either, it was raining the whole 2 weeks and the relative complains to her till now.

in her wise mind she decided to only give woolen socks from now on, they keep you warm and cosy.

or would you prefer she gifts a Magnum '45 next?

• Like 6

everyone should shut up and have manners.

The gift is kinda crappy, Ill admit to that.   But its not game breaking.

I remember in Ultima Online, when you got gifts, you were given a list of stuff to choose from, not a big list, just a couple of choices.

Maybe for next christmas we could have something like that, an option that would let you choose gifts from previous christmas, god knows I hated the soft cap, and when I found out the previous year was the garden Gnomes, I wanted to burn that stupid cap.    Im sure some time from now people that have missed this christmas will want the snowball lamp, its a unique item after all.   Just saying.

[00:49:44] The snow lantern contains only candle stumps. Fill with new ones.

:( well... candle or tar.. i rather bring tar with me...

[00:49:44] The snow lantern contains only candle stumps. Fill with new ones.

:( well... candle or tar.. i rather bring tar with me...

Seriously?

well that means I have to put it on the deed as decoration just like the gnome :) 

Anyone not happy with their gifts may send them my direction.

I am willing to sacrifice the inventory space, so that no one else is burdened.

• Like 2

Likewise. Offcially accepting all your "useless" gifts, with our without fuel. Between Klaa and me, we will fix this abominable injustice that happened to some players.

Edited by Valdor

What we didnt get fantastic 99ql no drop, no damage, 100 aosp, 100 web armour, scale sets and our own personal uniques that drop scale when they eat with always hungry traits? :o

• Like 1

Nothing can beat the spyglass...Need more items/prem incentives ("gifts") of a similar nature to that