Sign in to follow this  
snowblind

what is the gift

Hey Alexdunphy*giggle* you only got the potion because this new alt of yours is so young. Quit with the multi-personality disorder and you'll get more stuff

• Like 3

A 99ql free lantern. I don't care if it wears a Libila disguise and spanks me when I luse it. I love it.

• Like 1

Hey Alexdunphy*giggle* you only got the potion because this new alt of yours is so young. Quit with the multi-personality disorder and you'll get more stuff

+1

God what a bunch of selfish ungrateful shitbags on here. Rolf gives out a FREE gift to all premium players and all most can do is whine. You lot deserve nothing.

• Like 11

Things aren't as black and white as everyone wants to show. When someone with unlimited powers gives you a present, that has worse functionality, than a mediocre blacksmith can create, then it is crap. So far xmas gifts have offered some unique functionality or visuals( http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Category:Gifts ). Current one does nothing, yes on ground it looks a different than anything else, but it is a personal lantern. 

To lancelot: Just an example. When you, a master weaponsmith, would go to FM and start giving 10ql swords as presents, I wonder how much gratitude you would see, despite the fact that they are free.

Edited by rixk
  • Like 1

I was posting more to find out the details on the item not to complain any so far they seem great. Mine has not taken any damage so far and i have been using it a lot but still no need to fill it up yet so i have no complaints at all.

I will put all 7 of them to use :) 

Every year people find that there is something wrong with the gift. With the gnomes, people said it was too heavy to be useful for anything, the santa hat was useless and damaged rather quickly, and now we get to that people think the lamp isn't useful or original enough.

The thing is that it really doesn't matter. You're not given the gift because it's super useful or because it's really special. It's just a nice little thing that will remind you of christmas

• Like 8

You are right. It's a gift and personally I thank Rolf and staff.

I won't be using it, but I am still thankful.  End of story for Menajin._

But you can't bash other ppl that hoped for something better either....

Previous gifts were important stuff that had functionality http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Category:Gifts

except the past 2 years. So a person that expected a nice 'similar' gift last year and got that useless hat, this year was twice disappointed.

The snow lantern fills with candles and takes lots after the 1st initial use. It weighs much. It doesn't get painted. Its bright light is a liability on Epic servers.

Do you compare it with spyglass, bag of keeping or FW amulet? Heck, even with the Gnome?

So.. it's a gift. OK, thanks.

It's like a useless gift some aunt that doesn't love you gave you. Cool, toss it in a closet.

Does Rolf love players like he used to? It's in the eye of the beholder.

And people have the right to say thanks or complain. Also end of story.

• Like 2

Wouldn't you rather have a useless gift (in your eyes) than something overpowered or game changing?

First, this is the 5th gift I have received now. All 5 have been "useless" compared to the earlier ones. First year was transmutation liquid, then fireworks, then a gnome, then a santa hat, now a lantern.

It looks like Rolf learned from his past mistakes of giving out game imbalancing items like farwalker amulets, which I have read the first 1000 whine threads about in the past 5 years about how they ruined PvP and Chaos.

Oh, and if your aunt gives you a pair of woolen socks, do you act like a spoiled kid and whine and complain to her, or do you say "Thanks, Aunt! thats just what I needed" like all normal, polite, well-raised people would do?

Just because you can hide behind a screen name shouldn't really make you act different than what you would do in real life.

• Like 1

It's just really disrespectful to complain about gifts. Nobody says you have no right to complain.

It's more like going to that aunt of yours and saying "whoa, last year you bought me new shoes, why did you just give me a coffee mug this year?". And does she have to get you something really special in order to show you that she actually loves you? In the end you just make your aunt feel bad and probably make her regret giving you anything in the first place.

Besides that, there are probably good reasons on why we no longer get gifts that are similar to BoKs, spyglasses and FWs. It probably has something to do with that those items can provide a massive advantage over players who don't have them.

• Like 3

I keep hearing this thing about candles? Mine hasn't run out of fuel, I've not snuffed it in days. I tossed it in the ground and it had been there for at least 36 hours now. Still no damage, still lit.

Anyone ACTUALLY had to fuel this thing? I read somewhere that the candles thing was a joke by Rolf in irc?

Gift is perfect, Its benefit is a top of the range lantern that I hear does not damage and potentially unlimited fuel but the con for it is that it is over weight, and can not be dyed.

Lanterns over time take an awful lot of damage so this item is massively useful for me (should I be on freedom servers), I don't have to re-imp it every few weeks. The weight of it is huge compared to your normal lanterns but it's good for balance.

• Like 2

Things aren't as black and white as everyone wants to show. When someone with unlimited powers gives you a present, that has worse functionality, than a mediocre blacksmith can create, then it is crap. So far xmas gifts have offered some unique functionality or visuals( http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Category:Gifts ). Current one does nothing, yes on ground it looks a different than anything else, but it is a personal lantern. 

To lancelot: Just an example. When you, a master weaponsmith, would go to FM and start giving 10ql swords as presents, I wonder how much gratitude you would see, despite the fact that they are free.

Having 99+ BS, I will tell you that making a 90ql lantern, let alone a 99ql, is not an easy feat. 

Garden gnomes were a "useless". Santa Hats were "useless". This is the first gift in a few years that actually had a functionality other than decoration.

Having 99+ BS, I will tell you that making a 90ql lantern, let alone a 99ql, is not an easy feat. 

Garden gnomes were a "useless". Santa Hats were "useless". This is the first gift in a few years that actually had a functionality other than decoration.

My 70ql lantern is brighter than this 99ql snow lantern. People tell that even 50ql is brighter.

Decoration is function by itself, gnomes and santa hats were something, which functionality (read: visuals) were something, which noone in the game was able to recreate.

I guess it is just hard going from unique game breaking item/gifts to ones that are not but i can see why too. If they would have been the amulets i would have ended up with 7 of them because i was in the middle of a trader deed makeover at the same time as the gifts. There would be nothing stopping a player from making a bunch of 2s alts to get a load of the gifts every year so they need to be kind of low value items. 

Maybe they can add the better gifts in the loyalty program for multiple year customer gifts. I can see someone that has paid say five years getting something special for sure. 

Edited by Kegan

if you don't like your snow lantern you can mail it to me :)

• Like 2

Actually I don't think the ornament is meant to be used in inventory as a lantern.  Yes the light is very dim in inventory, but if you set it on the ground it's very bright.  I really like it. You can tuck it behind something else and not see the light source after the christmas season, and if they ever put in functionality for putting things on tables, it's even better.

This is my second christmas so I got the hat last year which I think is pretty cute except it's silly to wear it past the christmas season. At least this you can set behind a bsb and it's still bright.  And the garden gnomes I just love so I bought one.

Sure I'd love a FW and it's really sad freedom people can't have cool things like that because of pvp. But that's the way it is.  So anyway I'm happy with my new christmas "lamp."   :)

• Like 1

Just in case anyone cries about the gift this year, here's a preemptive "you're wrong".

Below is a screenshot of 3 lamps, 1ql, 20ql 99ql.

lampql.png

Problem is, it can't be dyed. So my ql 60 rare iron lanter, with white dye gives off a stronger light than the snow one. They light more or less the same distance, but with the white dye, the lighting is brighter, with less shadows. And since xmas gifts are there for premium only, you might consider comparing stuff with like ql 50, not just the bottom of the scale with the top.

To be fair, its more useful than any of the previous years. But not as useful as those in the past. Which kinda makes new players feel even more second class players. Its not bad enough that most people that started playing on a freedom server in the last year didn't get to kill a Unique. Or see one for that matter, but then even the old presents were far more useful than the new ones...

Hi,

[...] Oh, and if your aunt gives you a pair of woolen socks, do you act like a spoiled kid and whine and complain to her, or do you say "Thanks, Aunt! thats just what I needed" like all normal, polite, well-raised people would do? [...]

... and then all we normal, polite, well-raised people would turn around, barely swallowing a juicy curse, burn those dreaded woolen socks with a devilish smile, go to church and pray that our dear aunt might, please Oh Lord!, soon be released from her earthly suffering, so that we finally could enjoy the heritage?

I don't think this is a good example. But let's keep to it:

The woolen socks is an even more "welcome" gift as we know that our older cousins, only some years ago, got a Harley, a serious sum of money and a "1st class holiday in the sun" (Spyglass, Bag of Keeping, Sculpting wand) from our dear aunt, as well as even a 99-lifes-charm (Farwalker amulet) once!

We'll love our aunt even more, now that she showed us her high regard (compared to our cousins), right? With a gift of stinkin' socks?

Really not a good example. Let's stop this.

Rolf isn't my aunt. I'm not used to pay money to my aunts. Rolf is a business partner for me - I pay money, he offers a service.

And as such I'd expect a little thought regarding gifts. Handing out a 2.5kg lantern is - well, embarrassing. Obviously a cheap bargain from a left-over-stuff-seller? Especially when knowing what was given before ...

I'd not have minded a farwalker amulet, even with a heavily reduced number of uses (10, 20?).

I'd have welcomed a spyglass, a sculpting wand or a bag of keeping, even if it would come with 0 uses, and must be loaded for each use (spyglass, 10C/use or wand, 1S/use) or month of use (bag, 1S/month).

I'd not have minded any other creative, thoughtfully made gift that actually had any use (like gnomes or the transmutation liquid). No OT stuff needed nor desired, just something nice - I didn't even mind the Santa caps, even if I'd never wear such - but obviously there was ppl that loved it.

But I hate woolen socks!!! Better no gift at all, than woolen socks or 2.5kg lanterns!

Have fun!

• Like 2

Hi,

... and then all we normal, polite, well-raised people would turn around, barely swallowing a juicy curse, burn those dreaded woolen socks with a devilish smile, go to church and pray that our dear aunt might, please Oh Lord!, soon be released from her earthly suffering, so that we finally could enjoy the heritage?

I don't think this is a good example. But let's keep to it:

The woolen socks is an even more "welcome" gift as we know that our older cousins, only some years ago, got a Harley, a serious sum of money and a "1st class holiday in the sun" (Spyglass, Bag of Keeping, Sculpting wand) from our dear aunt, as well as even a 99-lifes-charm (Farwalker amulet) once!

We'll love our aunt even more, now that she showed us her high regard (compared to our cousins), right? With a gift of stinkin' socks?

Really not a good example. Let's stop this.

Rolf isn't my aunt. I'm not used to pay money to my aunts. Rolf is a business partner for me - I pay money, he offers a service.

And as such I'd expect a little thought regarding gifts. Handing out a 2.5kg lantern is - well, embarrassing. Obviously a cheap bargain from a left-over-stuff-seller? Especially when knowing what was given before ...

I'd not have minded a farwalker amulet, even with a heavily reduced number of uses (10, 20?).

I'd have welcomed a spyglass, a sculpting wand or a bag of keeping, even if it would come with 0 uses, and must be loaded for each use (spyglass, 10C/use or wand, 1S/use) or month of use (bag, 1S/month).

I'd not have minded any other creative, thoughtfully made gift that actually had any use (like gnomes or the transmutation liquid). No OT stuff needed nor desired, just something nice - I didn't even mind the Santa caps, even if I'd never wear such - but obviously there was ppl that loved it.

But I hate woolen socks!!! Better no gift at all, than woolen socks or 2.5kg lanterns!

Have fun!

I have lots of "business partners", and Rolf was the only one that gave me a gift. You got your service that you paid for through him. What more does he owe you?

Some of you people are appalling. Learn some manners.

• Like 2

Lol I am just thankful every year when I read the forums that I don't have to give presents to you lots. You're terrible, and even if you were given a gold covered ql99 meal that never decayed or lost weight and made you poop gold coins you'd still find complaints about it.

Merry Christmas Wurm team and thank you for the adorable snow lantern!

• Like 5

Hi,

I have lots of "business partners", and Rolf was the only one that gave me a gift. You got your service that you paid for through him. What more does he owe you?

Some of you people are appalling. Learn some manners.

with all due respect I doubt you're the one to tell me to "Learn some manners".

I don't think I did say anything heavily wrong in my post (I have an open ear for suggestions!), and your [censored] attack here is appalling, and obviously drawn from thin air. You might consider yourself to "learn some manners". What you delivered here isn't but a sure sign of you lacking those. I assume a bad mood, can happen during the holidays, right?

I don't know if you have other business partners but games companies, but at least here it's common practice to sometimes (not mandatory) send XMas gifts. For sure you can send woolen socks, but you'll not earn a lot of love doing so. Gifts in business relations are, in my view, essential to show gratitude and respect, and always should be deeply considered and customized to the recipient.

This hasn't been done this year. Farwalkers have been given out at first - a good choice IMHO (as I explained in the deleted thread). Finally a step to a little more even playing ground in PvP! And a nice have-to on PvE.

But after the expectable cry-out of the PvP Ubers (that have them already, and don't want the unwashed masses to have it, too) this has been changed, to quickly made 2.5kg heavy lanterns - a desperate band-aid?

And so we got the famous woolen socks. Nothing other available in the short time, yeah.

I'd have had no problem to receive a message like "Sry, our intended XMas present bugged - we'll deliver asap!", or even if not getting a gift at all - but getting woolen socks was regarded as insulting here. Remember, Rolf isn't my old senile aunt!

You told me to "learn some manners". With all due respect, I regard this as insulting, and would like to throw the same ball back to you. Assuming a bad mood or whatever. No need for excuses, sh*t happens ;-)

Have fun!

• Like 2