Sign in to follow this  
Slickshot

Grand Steppe Hunting Lodge -- UPDATE 5: New Ownership?

I recently planned and finished building a lodge for hunters on the Grand Steppe.  The area I used is small, so it doesn't take up too much steppe space, and it isn't too deep into the steppe to find.  I'm not entirely certain how often people visit the Grand Steppe to hunt, but the lodge is intended for the use of the public.

I haven't fully furnished the lodge yet, however when I do it will have an oven, a forge, some storage, and several beds.  In the front of the lodge is a small 2x5 fenced area, which will have enchanted grass so that you may loose your horses or whatever animals you use on hunting trips.  I would, however, suggest branding your horses to your deed/alliance just to be certain no one can take them.  The beds in the lodge will be set at a very low fee of 10i, or no fee at all for members of my personal deed and alliance.  There will also be a merchant placed in the lodge.  The merchant will be stocked with various weapons/bows for use in hunting.

So if you are out hunting on the Grand Steppe and are far from home, or just don't feel like returning home quite yet, you can come to the lodge.  Feel free to cook your meats, improve your weapons or buy new weapons, and log off in a bed to build up sleep bonus.

The Grand Steppe Hunting Lodge is located here in the map below with it's own deed, Haven.  Happy hunting!

rLn8BaI.png

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 5

PujkKXo.jpg

Front entrance with the fenced in lot for horses, bulls, cows etc.

9Toj42H.jpg

Landscape of the steppe area around the Hunting Lodge.

hC2x3Mx.jpg

The back entrance.

J4TDUhm.jpg

Through the front doors.

WBAj1hv.jpg

Open room inside on the left, containing an oven, a forge, a bsb, an fsb, and a huge oil barrel filled with water.

oZtu2wG.jpg

Open room inside on the right; empty at the moment but the merchant will be placed here in the near future.  Just to the right of

this arched wall is the ladder leading up to the 2nd floor which contains the lookout-balcony, great for spotting wild animals.

rpOczNX.jpg

This is one of two bedrooms, each bedroom being near identical and having two beds.  The bed on the far end of the room is

the bed set for villagers and alliance members of Storm's End, and the Night's Watch.  The front bed in each room is for rent!

S1pqtgo.jpg

The path leaving the lodge; back out into the steppe to continue the hunt.

Edited by Slickshot
  • Like 3

Feel free to use the lodge whenever you are out hunting in the Steppe.  The two beds available do cost 10i each because there is no way for me to set them to "free" that allows non-writ members to use them.  If I understand correctly, you won't be able to take items from the bsb or the fsb, so those are mostly there for the use of my villagers and alliance members who are on-writ.  However, you should be able to light up the forge or oven just fine, and cook or imp your tools.  When the merchant is placed in the empty room, he will be stocked with common weapons that most people use (huge axes, long swords etc).  Later on he may also be stocked with bows and healing covers (I've never put healing covers on a merchant, but I assume its possible).

Happy Hunting!

• Like 1

Like this a lot. 

So branded horses will be safe while we log off and sleep? Promise?

Will definitely use it, because this is an issue we discussed so many times.

Also, thanks for considering the steppe and not planting grass and trees all over the place, and using little space. *thumbs up*

As for paying for beds, it's just right, people use your service, 10i is nothing.

Like this a lot. 

So branded horses will be safe while we log off and sleep? Promise?

Will definitely use it, because this is an issue we discussed so many times.

Also, thanks for considering the steppe and not planting grass and trees all over the place, and using little space. *thumbs up*

As for paying for beds, it's just right, people use your service, 10i is nothing.

With the way I understand branding, your horses should be safe.  In the wiki it is stated that "Once branded, members of that village can lead the animal, no matter where it is."  I take this to mean that only people of your village can lead the horse if it is branded and no one else, otherwise there would be no reason to brand anything if everyone can still use it regardless.  However, I'll look into it more and find out for certain.  If the information is incorrect I will edit the posts in this thread pertaining to branding.

The place shouldn't be too hard to find.  If you knew at all where Wealdin was, then the Hunting Lodge is due North West of that location, just over the peak of a rolling hill.  If you or anyone else have trouble finding it, let me know and I'll figure out a waypoint for it.

EDIT:

Branding only allows you to lead your animals onto a foreign deed, disembark, walk away, and return and still be able to lead that horse even if that foreign deed disallows it in permissions.  With that being said, however, you cannot "unhitch" horses from a cart that has a lock with permissions set that disallow kingdom members to access hold, embark as commander or embark as passenger.  So If you want your horses to be secure when logging off at the Hunting Lodge, be sure to have them hitched to a locked cart with permissions set.  Otherwise if you come without a cart, be sure to tame your animal before you log off, to ensure it logs off with you.

Edited by Slickshot

For those who do make use of the Lodge could you please drop by here and leave a comment?  I'd like to see how much the community actually uses it; sort of a personal way to measure if it was worth building and worth putting a merchant in!  Thank you for your enthusiasm and respect for this project.

The Merchant for the Lodge has been delayed indefinitely.  The weaponsmith who wanted to provide the weapons got lazy and backed out, so for the time-being there will be no merchant in the Hunting Lodge. 

If you have any ideas what I should put in that 2nd big empty room, please post them here!

i like the idea, even if i never go out hunting, mostly cause i dont want to return home and risk falling asleep on the way XD

for the second room. you could still doa merchand area, with cotton and healing covers as a start and add weapons (and armors? ) if you can un lazy your smith (good luck... been trying with rose for months :P )

i like the idea, even if i never go out hunting, mostly cause i dont want to return home and risk falling asleep on the way XD

for the second room. you could still doa merchand area, with cotton and healing covers as a start and add weapons (and armors? ) if you can un lazy your smith (good luck... been trying with rose for months :P )

Yeah no joke. lol  The smith seems to like to do his own thing so who knows.  At any rate I've also been giving it time to see how many people actually use the lodge.  No sense dropping a merchant and stocking him up if people don't make use of it.

true... those guys arent cheap to hire so would need to be sure to have visitors so you dont waste a fortune

Its a lovely idea and honestly fully support and I live close by but so far not seen anyone use it so its just a another building on the steppe. I hope people do start to use it it serves a useful function for hunters. If not well, it lacks purpose. 

So far I've used it quite a bit but of course I'm the creator so it doesn't count quite as much lol

I made it by there today, but did not make it in, it looks good, and there was great hunting on the steppe, hopefully it will see some guests.

• Like 1

This looks wonderful. Living in the far NW kind of means I'll never drop by and use it, but public buildings like these are great. 

• Like 1

Sadly, chances out most people won't use it...

I'd love to build things all around the servers to aid people needing to stay the night in the area, to protect new players, or just to give someone a "getaway for the weekend" but from what I've noticed on Deliverence, it's never worth doing.

People seem to always want to make there own thing, or to take the hike all the way back, instead of using what's already there for them. The only exception I've personally seen is a clay preserve a friend made, I occasionally see people use his public houses to stay in the night, or to craft in. And the clay area itself is very well done and people use it and the forges often.

I was going to turn my deed on the steppe into something similar to this (but on deli) but I don't think it will be worth the effort, sure it's a great idea and everyone loves it... But nobody uses it >_< lol

I may still end up doing it just for alliance use, but not worth the effort ( for now) to make any type of lodges/public workshops/inns from my personal experience.

With that said, hopefully yours works out better, and maybe will pull in people - I really hope it does so I can get back in the mood to do my own heh. Good luck ^_^

Sadly, chances out most people won't use it...

I'd love to build things all around the servers to aid people needing to stay the night in the area, to protect new players, or just to give someone a "getaway for the weekend" but from what I've noticed on Deliverence, it's never worth doing.

People seem to always want to make there own thing, or to take the hike all the way back, instead of using what's already there for them. The only exception I've personally seen is a clay preserve a friend made, I occasionally see people use his public houses to stay in the night, or to craft in. And the clay area itself is very well done and people use it and the forges often.

I was going to turn my deed on the steppe into something similar to this (but on deli) but I don't think it will be worth the effort, sure it's a great idea and everyone loves it... But nobody uses it >_< lol

I may still end up doing it just for alliance use, but not worth the effort ( for now) to make any type of lodges/public workshops/inns from my personal experience.

With that said, hopefully yours works out better, and maybe will pull in people - I really hope it does so I can get back in the mood to do my own heh. Good luck ^_^

Yeah everyone says how cool the idea is and that they've been by and checked the place out and liked it, but no one actually uses it. lol  I've used it many times on week long hunting trips in the steppe.  The only people who have actually used it other than myself, that I know of, have been alliance members.  It's almost getting to the point where I don't even want to go repair the walls all the time.