Sign in to follow this  
thrundarr

Observations-Ideas-Vent-Suggestions.

Useless updates?
Forges: At least 3 times in the past few years. Appearance change did not enhance function for the player.

Guard towers: Appearance changed 2 times at least, and now a 3rd change coming. Why? Appearance change did not enhance function for player.

Other Eye candy:
How many changes do spiders, crocs, trolls etc need? Appearance change did not enhance function or enjoyement for player/customer.

More trees, great, no new uses other than walnuts, and those give no enhanced or new function to players do they? Food? I get food from my crops and cooked meat/fish.

Updates that have no use or funtion other than changing appearance. Sigh.

Now we are going to be getting some "prettier" ships. Are they going to sail faster, hold more? Do the new ships add more function to the game?

Bridges! How long have bridges been on the distant horizon? Years, if I recall correctly.

What updates and additions have players asked for, for years, and yet time and resources are spent on more eye candy?

Sure, we got multistory buildings, looks good, and they seem to have added some usefulness to the game. Planting BSB's seems to have helped usefulness.

Here's a thought. Add some more usefulness to the game. More swimming animals. Stop putting limits on livestock and breeding, find a way for those who enjoy breeding and having livestock to have more. Or are you too busy redesigning the 4th, 5th 6th generation of Guard tower artwork? (Why are there animal spawns on impossible to climb rock cliffs? There's a waste of bandwidth/space. Every critter has mountain goat like capabilities on wurm.)

Make a new weapon! How about Ballistas? How about Ships equiped with One or more ballista's? Or Wagons with a Ballista...etc. Hitch horses to catapalts or ballista...

How about releasing something when it's ready, such as wagons, instead of waiting to release a HUGE update, which most assuredly will result in crashes and down time going on past performances. Smaller releases might make it easier to track down problems when they occur.

When having a Q and A session (sadly,only once per year), how about better answers instead of dodging, or maybe's, or the one word we can all count on, "soon". Soon is half an eternity on wurm it seems. Giving a reasonable ballpark date of a month or six months or so would be nice.
Example:
Question: When is X going to be released?
Answer: X is ready to to be released, but we want to wait and release X along with Y and Z. We expect Y and Z to be ready in about 30 to 60 days depending on complications.

Someone suggested in game a non aggro server. I think that is a great idea. Would be a good server for new players to skill up on. Then they could sail to aggro servers when they feel they are ready.

A similar idea was posted here.

Titles or achievements. Rewards! How about instead of a useless graphic that you can do nothing with. The player gets something useful!

Example: Say a player hits 50 blacksmithing. They get a very nice tool, such as an anvil, or pelt, high QL (99-100) as a useful reward?

Those are my thoughts, ideas, and questions. I FULLY expect much of this post to be flamed, trolled, shilled, or just a lot of bad mannered replies. But, I felt like putting this out there. I'm sure many have the same thoughts as I've written here. Now it's out there. Take it or leave it.

(PS, I really don't care if some or all of this has been mentioned a million times before, if so, make this a million and one. If some of this has been mentioned a lot of times before and nothing has changed or improved for the better, then this million and one mention needed to be done. Until "they" get it.)

T

• Like 1

Different groups working on seperate deals. Gfx are seperate from coders for example. Let alone the various advantages and disadvantages of volunteers and paid staff. Being at the point where paid staff are supported is great.

Eye candy can be important prior to advertising since thats what grabs people's attention. Personally I go more for gameplay than looks, its what attracted me to Wurm to begin with (we were all stiff, so-so clones of each other for a long time). Still it doesnt do to have a slapdash look, let alone re-doing models that cause performance issues.

And then theres the unseen labor involved in implementing some features. Bridges may seem simple until one realizes Wurm is a 2.5D map under constant flux from just player interaction. Even the surface and underground are really two seperate maps loosely linked. Similar difficulties for multistory; however, with bridges one requires a seemingly seamless transition. Course understanding the breadth of the issues to be overcome is helped along by knowledge of what is going on under the hood.

Personally I hope bridges will help pave the way to siege engines like siege towers, scaling ladders, climbing gear, and so on.

• Like 1

When having a Q and A session (sadly,only once per year), how about better answers instead of dodging, or maybe's, or the one word we can all count on, "soon". Soon is half an eternity on wurm it seems. Giving a reasonable ballpark date of a month or six months or so would be nice.

Example:

Question: When is X going to be released?

Answer: X is ready to to be released, but we want to wait and release X along with Y and Z. We expect Y and Z to be ready in about 30 to 60 days depending on complications.

This.

+1

Eye candy in generaI is good and i don't see a problem with the  ART updates. The art team making things look better / fit the wurm style more and do not detract from the work the server devs do in any way.

The game looks so much better now than it did 6/7 years ago when i started playing, and i want that improvement to continue and i'm sure plenty of others do also.

More things are coming , but there is only so much they can do at once.

While you may not like having extra Titles / Achievements, there are plenty of players who actively work on getting those titles. Why shouldn't they have their fun as well ?

Livestock and Animals need to have limits to enable to players to live on the servers, as the servers do not have infinite resources to pull on, nor does Code Club.

Bridges are not a simple addition, they require a lot of game code changes due to the nature of allowing objects to go under them, while still supporting stuff over them. This is not an easy thing to do, and required a lot of work.

Disclaimer :- This is my own personal opinion and is in no way to be taken as representative of Code club or it's Staff.

• Like 1

Disclaimer :- This is my own personal opinion and is in no way to be taken as representative of Code club or it's Staff.

Ditto

• Like 1

Eye candy in generaI is good and i don't see a problem with the ART updates. The art team making things look better / fit the wurm style more and do not detract from the work the server devs do in any way.

The game looks so much better now than it did 6/7 years ago when i started playing, and i want that improvement to continue and i'm sure plenty of others do also.

While you may not like having extra Titles / Achievements, there are plenty of players who actively work on getting those titles. Why shouldn't they have their fun as well ?

Livestock and Animals need to have limits to enable to players to live on the servers, as the servers do not have infinite resources to pull on, nor does Code Club.

Bridges are not a simple addition, they require a lot of game code changes due to the nature of allowing objects to go under them, while still supporting stuff over them. This is not an easy thing to do, and required a lot of work.

Titles and achievements are fine, however they don't DO anything. All good and well if that's what one wants to settle for. On the other hand an actual reward ITEM that has a use is more desirable. (In addition to the title.)

I have put my money into wurm for over 6 years off and on. 24 months of premium to date. If wurm was all negative, I'm not dumb enough to keep spending my money on a fully bad product or service. However there is loads of room for improvement. When codeclub does good, they see my thanks in the form of my money going to them. That should be enough thanks and commendation in the attaboy department.

So 6 years later, yes wurm does LOOK better, but there really is not a lot more in the to do , or useful, fun, areas. If I want just pretty, I'll buy paintings.

Edited by thrundarr

Crybabies gonna cry, be happy what what we have and not what we dont have. I never seen so much unsatisfied crying customers as here in wurm

• Like 1

To be honest, I ignored the bridge comment, they are being developed, I bet they'll pop out for christmas, or early Q1 2014.

Art Devs are completely different from Server Devs, so these art updates are all on a seperate group then the ones that actually make functionality.

+ It's alot easier to slap-dab art together then make a very very buggy cody in the same time.

The idea of items or rewards upon getting titles is pretty... OP... tbh, I'd rather just get the title, as some of them (like smithing) help with the skill in general.

+ Why should you get a 99 QL pelt or anvil if you yourself couldn't make it in the first place. XD Who is giving you the reward for your grind :S?

Well, although code club tends to do really useless stuff (Maps Anyone?), i disagree with most of what you said.

For starters the game was made around 2006, with already not very up-to-date graphs. You can't expect Wurm to stay afloat without some better looks.

First Impressions are very important, and while it may inconvenience you, Wurm is a buisness, and they need to sell it. (Not that they're doing their best on advertisement and such).

Crybabies gonna cry, be happy what what we have and not what we dont have. I never seen so much unsatisfied crying customers as here in wurm

Seriously, that is what you want to say? Wow...

And haters gonna hate. It took you all of what to come with sarcastic and rude remark...

Oh and have a Merry Christmas, he came here to die for you as well.

Edited by thrundarr

Eye candy in generaI is good and i don't see a problem with the ART updates. The art team making things look better / fit the wurm style more and do not detract from the work the server devs do in any way.

This, and

The "eye candy" happens to be very important to me, especially since it's the ART team that takes care of it. I could care less about the bridges, in fact I'm even against it because god only knows how terrible canals will be with 199 bridges over them.

The trees were the best update I've seen for a while, it's all about opinions, I really like the direction the devs are going. Guess what? WE all want something different.

All the visuals are great updates, keep them coming :)

-1 to post, -1 for decreasing the teams moral.

OP, From your initial post I would have thought you had not been around long to have seen some of the positive changes made in relation to your dissatisfaction, as example animals on mountain sides and deed caps for animals. As for the art side of it, this is what purely enhances my enjoyment of Wurm, as well as the building aspects. This has improved dramatically with the new staff hiring's.

Yes, it does make me wonder why you have been on and off playing the game for 6 years. Well maybe not that pattern but why you continue on rather than off. Sure there are aspects of the game that frustrate me at times but my viewpoint on it all is pretty much the opposite of yours in that I understand that the movement of progress over time in a positive manner is a good indication of more to come and patience is required to see it all being unfolded in that manner.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

I actually laughed while reading all the "this is worthless this is worthless" blahblah, then what do you recommend as a important game changer? More swimming animals! WHOOPEE.

I get wanting things, but bashing updates is so boring and irritating. Although I also enjoy entertaining the idea of all the devs sitting their throw darts at a dartboard full of random ideas, obviously that's not the case. Honestly, just yesterday I was ranting in TS about how PVP could use some love, and instead we're getting wagons. But that's because we like different things from the game. I could care less if we had more swimming animals. I would assume you don't care about PVP. The only person who cares what you want are the devs, and I can assure you they already want to make you happy because they want their monies.

TL;DR I agree with you but we don't need a post about it.

I only agree with the Q & A part, it wasnt informative at all.

It was a barrelrolf.

+1

OP: please phrase kindly, asking and not demanding.