Sign in to follow this  
Atlas

shields: small vs med vs large

I want to skill up an alt who will prob never get shot at by archery:

Aside from the archery window, what are the differences between the shields?

Does a medium shield block more often (faster timer?) Or block more hits than a large shield?

Any difference in shield bashing with them?

Does overall shield skill noticeably improve anything?

Thanks

Kuzym

Edited by Atlas

There's supposed to be a better block chance for large shields according to Rolf, and I assume people could test % on test but I'm lazy.  However I've got 90 in both a small and large shield, and I've noticed pretty much 0 difference in bashing, blocking, and blocking arrows.

if u want to maximize your damage output... you use small shields... the larger ones slow ur attack speed some or something i think... If u want the shield primarily for shield bashing purposes and just a little blocking go small... if u have a slow weapon and want to mitigate tons of dmg go with large... large shields will reduce the dmg u do though... but thats the point of u using a shield in the first place... if u want dmg u go 2handers ;)

if u want to maximize your damage output... you use small shields... the larger ones slow ur attack speed some or something i think... If u want the shield primarily for shield bashing purposes and just a little blocking go small... if u have a slow weapon and want to mitigate tons of dmg go with large... large shields will reduce the dmg u do though... but thats the point of u using a shield in the first place... if u want dmg u go 2handers ;)

Like pretty much everything you said is wrong.

No shield decreases the damage you do, nor does it change your swing timer

Use w/e shield you want to use,if there is a difference in block chance between them it isnt noticeable, Small Wooden is the best simply because it weighs the least.

• Like 2

Hard to say if smalls are faster due to lower weight, not to mention block chance. Let alone if one slows you down more than another. Rolf says theres some difference in various ways, and observations can easily be skewed. Havent seen much difference between wood and metal for that matter, except wood is generally easier to imp back up.

Personally, the main difference among the shield sizes is how effective they are at defending from arrows. The large provides the greatest coverage in front of you in terms of what angles you are defended at. Literally think of holding a large plank in front, and the smaller shields cover less respectively. Arrows from behind will nail you regardless of shield.

Large and medium shields are popular with large shields prominent.

Course a small shield user can still defend if they are really good at keeping themselves angled properly to all incoming arrows.

Edited by Klaa

I though the larger the shield is the more stamina usage, but it covers you better?

I though the larger the shield is the more stamina usage, but it covers you better?

On my old account i had 70-80 in every shield skill and used them all(cept large metal) for 2-3 months, in pvp and pve, and noticed absolutely no diff cept mabye blocking arrows radius, which is hard to say cause sometimes, with how the positioning in wurm is, it can be a tad odd, specially with my bad internet, but i deff didnt see any difference in block rate or stam drain 

Edited by Gone420

If ur wondering where ur protected from arrows, face the archer (assuming you know... follow the arrows) and angle ur shield side slightly towards them. Large shields just provide wider protection from more angles, enemy archers can almost be at 90 degree angles, shield-side. Really handy for those multiple archers.

Keep an eye on the archers as the good ones know their limitations and might try to position for a better shot.

So one eye on the enemy, one eye on ur allies, another eye on the archers, next eye monitoring ur char, and keep the final eye wide open.

Amazing that such an important system can still be so obtuse and mysterious. Does The Rolf or any Developer even know if there is a difference and what exactly it is? Does a player know the exact info but is holding on to it for competitive advantage?

Thanks to all who helped contribute

?...wurm

Shield can be considered something that you should research on pvp environment... which due to its competitive nature, it needs to change to cooperation for a research to be conducted hmm?