Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Let them Swim - Cattle & Bison

Let them Swim  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think more animals should be allowed to swim?

• Yes
    • No

Well since the Q&A shot down my hopes that the new crate/load system would allow for hauling animals across water i would like to suggest that the more common farm animals be taught how to swim.  I am suggesting that the following be gifted with the ability to swim...

Cattle

Bison

Now i am not apposed to just allowing all peaceful animals to swim but at least allow the cattle and bison anyway. 

Let us put tamed animals on rafts and slowly drag behind our boats/ships :)

Smaller ships slow more down from the drag.

too much coding required

*injects suggestion with cyanide* NOT WORTH IT

"if a horse can swim, a cow should be able to."

Okay, lets make goblins and trolls swim as well, also spiders are excellent swimmers so them too. Maybe only scorpions and lava/hell creatures should be unable to swim.

"if a horse can swim, a cow should be able to."

Okay, lets make goblins and trolls swim as well, also spiders are excellent swimmers so them too. Maybe only scorpions and lava/hell creatures should be unable to swim.

sounds good to me

Only Cows/Bison, and Hell Horses.

+1 for those being able to swim.

That is all i am asking for i know wulfgar was being sarcastic as always and i have my usual fan base negative votes as always but other than that i can not see why this would matter to anyone it only improves the game for some players. 

I am sure it would be better than having 50-60 tile bridges to islands all over the place to get them over. 

Edited by Kegan

Can't say I agree to this. Player made islands (i.e. small ones) Are usually fairly close to shore, and wouldnt require such a long bridge anyways, and the large natural islands can be turned into grasslands to create spawn as is.

If you want cows and bison, why did you create an island?

I for one live on a natural island, Hermit Island, and this would benefit greatly, not sure how many made islands are really out there, but I'm not sure where the problem lies.

Can't say I agree to this. Player made islands (i.e. small ones) Are usually fairly close to shore, and wouldnt require such a long bridge anyways, and the large natural islands can be turned into grasslands to create spawn as is.

If you want cows and bison, why did you create an island?

I did not create the island i am on i own three natural islands on pristine that are all small to start with. I don't need the animals i can get meat and everything from just horses but i would like to have them. Each of these small natural islands are small enough that the deed covers most all of the island and the rest is perimeter so there is no spawns there...well not many maybe 1 every other month and most times they are aggressive. 

Now as you can see in the pic below the three islands i own are all small and natural and are a ways from anything but the large island and even that is +50 away. I just don't see why it is a major issue letting them swim so the ones that do have islands even if man made can have the livestock they want. 

1cufZWX.jpg

Edited by Kegan

lol at hell horses swimming....they're on fire O.o that'd make no sense. 

As for bison I can see those swimming or rather floating, because that's what they do in real life. However cows and bulls no, they don't swim very well as they'd drown in depths horses could travel through lol stupid animals xP

The raft idea is still the best to solve the animals issue of getting them over water, give em a "board" option much like "hitch" for carts but on rafts only. The alternative would be give us a barg ship that's medium sized with an animal cargo hold that can hold 3-5 animals at a time.

Well i guess you can get them across by hitching them to a cart then unhitch and drag the cart closer to the island and hitch again. I have not tried it but sounds like it might work..idk

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/92831-developer-qa-logs-18th-december-2013/page-2#entry930748

Edit: It would still be much easier to just let them swim or give us someway to haul them. 

Edited by Kegan

I've tried it lol, am doing it now for your two bison and that bull you ordered. It takes forever since you have to "push" the cart through deep water. 8 hours, and only to that big island lol so I predict another 5 or so hours just to get em to you. It'd be easier if I could A: Drag the cart in deep water to do it via that trick, B: "board" them onto a raft, giving a better use for rafts then just hauling stuff inside of vehicles, or C: give us a boat that they can be boarded on which would save time from all ways. Swimming would also work, but for things like hell horses or hell hounds, it wouldn't make sense to let them swim, and would be unfair if they had no route through water.

• Like 1

too much coding required

*injects suggestion with cyanide* NOT WORTH IT

I am not a programmer. However....

Here is Horse, Horse is good. Horse can swim.

Here is cattle, cattle are good, cattle can't swim.

IDEA

Copy horse swimming code.

Paste to Cattle.

Cattle now swim.

Cattle now, good, cattle now swim.

PS, do same to bison.

Could it really be as simple as copy and pasting code and changing only a few symbols/characters?

Bridges would solve much of the swimming issue IF bridges, not cattle or bison as those are already in game, ever get in game.

Edited by thrundarr

i got mine now so whatever, lol

And That ^^^ is what's wrong with the world. So many have that attitude, as long as I got mine, to heck with the rest of you. Very sad.

And That ^^^ is what's wrong with the world. So many have that attitude, as long as I got mine, to heck with the rest of you. Very sad.

well it needs a better person to push for it anyway there are to many people that dont like me i can never get anything suggested but some other guy comes along 3 months later with the same idea everyone loves it.

I do care but the above was more or less a jab at the haters, lol

I am not a programmer. However....

Here is Horse, Horse is good. Horse can swim.

Here is cattle, cattle are good, cattle can't swim.

IDEA

Copy horse swimming code.

Paste to Cattle.

Cattle now swim.

Cattle now, good, cattle now swim.

PS, do same to bison.

Could it really be as simple as copy and pasting code and changing only a few symbols/characters?

Bridges would solve much of the swimming issue IF bridges, not cattle or bison as those are already in game, ever get in game.

Lol the coding for the three animals isn't the same so would copy/paste, plus people don't just copy/paste for coding. They would have to change the whole movement coding for those two animals, since they're currently designed to not go into water that's more then 3 slopes into it.