Sign in to follow this  
Guest Docterchese

Developer Q&A Logs - 18th December 2013

Bridges!

The main issue about transporting animals on ships is probably because then you could move animals between servers which is a bit undisereable, because of the animal Cap, and probably database issues (since each server should have a single database for all animals within it. Then when transporting animals it would probably be mayhem on the DB. That and it would allow you to heard all uniques on a single server and such.

I've been saying this for a while now.

Pvp is a big part on the pvp servers. On epic everything I've ver built has been with defense against players in mind, what skills I grind are oriented to pvp, what would help me the most, plate smithing or leatherworking..?

In my mind, I can't see a wurm without pvp

Pvp is a big part on the pvp servers. On epic everything I've ver built has been with defense against players in mind, what skills I grind are oriented to pvp, what would help me the most, plate smithing or leatherworking..?

In my mind, I can't see a wurm without pvp

Well mate for every one of you, there's 4 people who don't play PvP on Wurm, either because the combat system, and the PvP mechanics proper are a joke, and the rest because they don't care about PvP at all. I'd be willing to bet at least 60% of Epic players are there simply because of the curve.

i don't think anyone wants a +50 tile bridge to my island even if it would just be a temporary one.  i am also thinking there will be restrictions on them as far as length but i had thought about making one and then let it decay.

it just seems easier to let them be hauled or at least let the more popular farming animals like the cattle and bison swim. 

You know cows and bisons can't swim. So why build a island 50 tiles away from shore if you wanted to breed them?

Edited by KanePT
  • Like 1

I have a question.  Any chance that you'll eventually cage the mischievous imp that scrambles my inventory every time I log out or lose connection?   :)

It actually keeps the same order when you log in each time, though that order is pretty random I must say, I still haven't managed to figure out what determine's it's default order in the inventory.

(NOTE: Other questions asked that I don't answer is simply because I don't know the answer - not because I'm ignoring them or something. Changes to Epic/PvP is under the realm of server devs :P)

• Like 1

If Epic get legendary titles for 99.999996, I demand them for 99 on Freedom as well. Its about the same effort.

Make it so, that gives people something to actually chase after instead of some unreachable carrot only a handful of insane people will ever reach.

I think it was a decent Q&A. PvP is a very small part of Wurm even on PvP servers, I don't see why it should have gotten more attention.

I thought that was the whole point... a bonus... for the insane... 

btw kegan... there is a trick... to make bulls and bison... cross your island... =] take an empty large cart... drag it in the water... face it toward the island... hitch animals... then unhitch... drag the cart further up the mountain... i mean... across the water... =] repeat til done... use a boat or a priest with refresh if u think you can't swim 50 tiles... I wanna say the bison we did that with ended up with some drowning damage... but i don't remember if the cart is too heavy to drag u can still push/pull..... its slow.... but... when u need it done... it is a current work around... technically you could make a bridge of 25-50 carts and just leave em in the water for transporting all kinds of animals that are hitchable over... long as your single cow doesnt die... =] if ur on epic maybe you can get and aged spirit to fling a tamed cow over the water... haha.

• Like 1

*stranger walks up to Kegan and notices him with a tame cow... chasing an eagle spirit... 100 dead cow corpses all around.....* "ummm.... what are you doing?"

"Transporiting this female cow to my island"

If Epic get legendary titles for 99.999996, I demand them for 99 on Freedom as well. Its about the same effort.

Make it so, that gives people something to actually chase after instead of some unreachable carrot only a handful of insane people will ever reach.

I think it was a decent Q&A. PvP is a very small part of Wurm even on PvP servers, I don't see why it should have gotten more attention.

What.

99 on freedom is totally not the same effort as 100 on epic.

The effort to get to 100 should really end up being the same for most skills, due to the curves negative effect on skillgain.

The real issue with the pvp questions is that they were really not even answered competently. Rolf seemed surprised that mines were used in pvp, and apparently people on chaos should chase people to freedom and kill them there somehow. Valrei also apparently is random movement, despite not being random movement.

Are enhancements to the chat windows coming soon such as the ability to undock the tabs?  I'm sure I am not the only one who constantly clicks back and forth between the skill and event tabs when grinding skills. 

It would be nice to be able to have both open in separate windows.

• Like 1

Can always ask them here, if one of us can answer them, we will.

I appreciate the fact that you're always willing to help, Budda. This isn't the first time i've made comments and you've quickly offered to be of assistance. Thank you for the work and dedication you put in!

My Questions:

- Since the release of Wurm 1.1, many players have had compatibility issues with GLSL shaders in the client and have had to disable said feature to make the game functional. Disabling shaders has its own downsides, though. In example, in-game water has no reflective properties (looks bad), "drumroll" event visuals don't exist, and rare items themselves do not have a visual glow to them.

Has the development team found the cause of this issue? Is there any ETA, or indication of priority on a fix?

- I can manipulate ANY tile type I want.... except marsh. Why is marsh protected so much? Why can't I flatten/level it?

- What is the purpose of the restrictions placed on certain items, gift wrapping and/or mailing? Storage reasons were the main "issue" talked about in the distant past, but since then, majority of the servers have introduced f2p, and storage alts are easily accessible. Having said that, is there a chance that we will ever see these restrictions lifted?

-  Since the removal of unfinished items, getting an alter's placement perfect is a hair pulling experience. Any chance we can get metal alters push/pull/rotatable? (Towers should be taken into consideration too, if the creator doesn't have that option already.) 

Amadee asked the question I had about inventory slots.  :)

• Like 1

I appreciate the fact that you're always willing to help, Budda. This isn't the first time i've made comments and you've quickly offered to be of assistance. Thank you for the work and dedication you put in!

My Questions:

- Since the release of Wurm 1.1, many players have had compatibility issues with GLSL shaders in the client and have had to disable said feature to make the game functional. Disabling shaders has its own downsides, though. In example, in-game water has no reflective properties (looks bad), "drumroll" event visuals don't exist, and rare items themselves do not have a visual glow to them.

Has the development team found the cause of this issue? Is there any ETA, or indication of priority on a fix?

This one is difficult because half of the problem stems from old hardware, or intel hardware. Some of this we can't really do anything, we just try and keep compatibility for those setups so they can even play the game.

The other half of the issue is with the shaders themselves, running on certain hardware. These issues are currently with the contractor that is making a lot of performance changes for us, and will hopefully be fixed soon.

- I can manipulate ANY tile type I want.... except marsh. Why is marsh protected so much? Why can't I flatten/level it?

No clue sorry (I'm personally confused the same way about surface mining).

- What is the purpose of the restrictions placed on certain items, gift wrapping and/or mailing? Storage reasons were the main "issue" talked about in the distant past, but since then, majority of the servers have introduced f2p, and storage alts are easily accessible. Having said that, is there a chance that we will ever see these restrictions lifted?

A mix of intended realism, old code that hasn't been gone over in years, and not enough time to go through it all again I would imagine.

As this would all be server side, I have limited knowledge on the matter.

-  Since the removal of unfinished items, getting an alter's placement perfect is a hair pulling experience. Any chance we can get metal alters push/pull/rotatable? (Towers should be taken into consideration too, if the creator doesn't have that option already.) 

I'm not sure about altars specifically, but there was talk earlier this year of having a system that let you preview where you were placing an item, and letting you place it specifically (on a grid or not) with a ghost-like image of the object to let you visualise where it was going. Keep in mind that this was just talk, so work on it hasn't begun, and doesn't have a specific plan at this point. maybe soon though.

• Like 1

It actually keeps the same order when you log in each time, though that order is pretty random I must say, I still haven't managed to figure out what determine's it's default order in the inventory.

(NOTE: Other questions asked that I don't answer is simply because I don't know the answer - not because I'm ignoring them or something. Changes to Epic/PvP is under the realm of server devs :P)

Ever looked into the item number in the database and timed it by a random number and devided it by the binary value of name of the item? <lols>

On a More serious note: You can save the Toolbelt order, how about saving the inventory order on exit too in a "text" file , I know it will be a much bigger file but its the same principle? 

toolSlot5=287129401298178

toolSlot4=482776201560322

toolSlot3=40073739371522

toolSlot2=429588886849026

toolSlot1=426201030067970

On the Curved wall / Diagonal wall Question.

If we take that a tile has 4 sides called tile borders on which we normally build a wall.

Would it be a easy temporary way of just to make a curved wall block all 4 the tile borders as if 4 walls are their but only show the curved wall, and make the wall PLAN rotatable to determine which way it faces?

Edited by axeblade346

Hey guys we may change this if it's not balanced possibly maybe not sure but if it's required we might possibly do something for changing things but not sure why we haven't already but we may do later if necessary

[19:12:32] <Docterchese> >> Are there any plans to overhaul the combat system in the future?

[19:12:51] <Rolf> yes we want to make it more engaging

[19:13:02] <Rolf> so it has high prio

[19:13:08] <Rolf> like, on top after the release

[19:13:32] <Rolf> .

Sweet, the only thing I really wanted to read :P

I'm pretty sure that you can rotate and push pull metal altars AFTER they've been blessed. I remember rearranging a gold vynora altar on my"vynora isle" outside my farm. Maybe it has to be done with the priest that enchants it though... If i remember later i'll test this and post a reply (or edit this).

I'm pretty sure that you can rotate and push pull metal altars AFTER they've been blessed. I remember rearranging a gold vynora altar on my"vynora isle" outside my farm. Maybe it has to be done with the priest that enchants it though... If i remember later i'll test this and post a reply (or edit this).

Thanks for the info, hadn't tried with the priest, just the mayor. If it works, it'll save me some headache.

If you don't have time to test it, no worries, man. I'll give it a try when I get home from work tonight. :)

The effort to get to 100 should really end up being the same for most skills, due to the curves negative effect on skillgain.

Incorrect, the curve does never go lower than the linear skillgain.

Disappointed in this Q&A session and extremely happy I did not wake up for it.

Everything answered was stuff we already knew through forums from baron and other devs or irc with rolf and/or previously asked in other Q&A's.

You PR people should focus more on actively finding questions that haven't been answered and ones that will give us more insight into the future of where things are going. 

I suggest next time a video q&a as well, redbaron taking over and live streaming it over twitch.tv.

Also tired of the "We want to add it but not right now." Which to me translates to "I want it but I dont know how to do it so until Zcul or one of the other guys who have actually made most the features I have been promising you guys for years happen, once one of them get around to it, you will get it."

Edited by Ruger
  • Like 2

Although I will agree that I found Rolf's responses to be rather nebulous, I think that when trying to define when actual features will be implemented within the game, to say that either they are currently being worked on or will be sometime in the future is about as close to definitive as one can be. Perhaps then it may be more accurate to state that those asking the questions have unreasonable expectations when requiring specific timelines in response.

What I got out of it all is that some features are being worked upon now, some others will be started after those, others are being considered and some are good ideas but will be way down the road so far that there is no idea when they will even be started. The features in question were put into these categories, thus the questions were answered as presented while exact timelines for them being introduced into the game could not be precisely defined.

Patience is a virtue I have heard told. If such be the truth, Wurm will either elevate you to a paragon of this trait or leave you gasping in the dust to your last breath. Still, there is the choice in which direction you will walk along this one of Wurm's long twisting roads into the void of uncertainty and therein lies your answers, just out of grasp. Heh.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Sweet, the only thing I really wanted to read :P

Thanks for the info, hadn't tried with the priest, just the mayor. If it works, it'll save me some headache.

If you don't have time to test it, no worries, man. I'll give it a try when I get home from work tonight. :)

So... have you guys solved the mystery? Because I'm curious too...

Really happy to see they are going to be fixing sitting at some point. For me personally, being able to sit down is the single most important request I have and it was the first thing I asked when a friend first showed me the game.

The way I see it, everything you work towards in finding a plot, building a house, furnishing the house with tables and chairs etc all pools down to being able to -do- something with that lovely house. Being able to invite friends over and have them sit down while you cook dinner. Being able to make a tavern and have customers sit at the tables waiting to be served etc. Being able to set a chair on a balcony and sit to gaze at the beautiful view. Now without that option, it feels like when friend visits, it's all very quick and temporary. They come, have a glance around and leave - I do the same. Not because we have better things to do, but because of the psychological feeling of standing. If my character were to sit down I'd feel much more inclined to stay for a while and have a chat. My friend would feel more inclined to whip something up in the kitchen or share some wine with me. Having a lovely home would have some purpose! Of course, there are a lot of players out there who only think about houses as being a practical item - a place to stop decay or store stuff... But I believe this game tends to draw a certain type of player more than most MMOs, namely those of us who thrive on how immersive it is. Everything about the game nurtures that immersion, be it a thick fog that seeps in while you're sailing or the fact that you can hear your neighbor hammering in the distance. Point being, that if this game tends to draw these immersion junkies more than your "Normal mmos", extending that immersion to being able to sit down should be all the more important.

Another thing is setting things on tables. I'd love to be able to make different crafting spots in my work shop and kitchen. A place where I keep my smithing stuff, one for my carpentry, setting a table with cutlery and plates, putting a flowerpot on a table etc. I'm not sure if this solution is feasible, but one way it could work is this:

Stand on normal tile, drop item, item drops to ground.

Stand on top of a surface such as a table, item drops on the table. 

In both cases, I think every item should be able to be movable and rotatable as well. 

Thanks for this great game btw, I've played a lot of MMOs but none have gotten me as excited, addicted, immersed and elated as this one for a very very long time!

Edited by Malena
  • Like 3