Sign in to follow this  
VentureCo

Palm Tree / Cactus

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Elen, February 2, 2014 - Spam. Hidden and Flagged.
Hidden by Elen, February 2, 2014 - Spam. Hidden and Flagged.

What is special of Palm tree and cactus..?? Yes, Leadfoot it nice and interesting idea...I heard that there is city in Dubai in palm tree shape...Have any one heard about this..?

Next Day Flowers

There are already ingame trees, like the birch, that should grow on sand grounds. It would be better to make that more realistic first plus the in game climate does not justify palm trees and cacti.

Even though this is a old post it deserves a bump as it would liven up a lot of deeds

I like the idea of Palms, and maybe smaller cacti in the desert.  
As for people saying it doesn't fit or saying "Wurm is based on medieval  Europe"  go find me some pumpkins in medieval Europe.  Plus, palm trees have spread far and wide across the world because of one really neat feature, coconuts float and eventually wash up on distant lands.  So there really is no reason that our "just north of tropic" islands can't have them.

+1 to cactus, prickly pears, another plant that has fruit,

-1 to palm trees as it requires tropical and subtropical, which doesn't fit wurm

22 minutes ago, Aszhrae said:

+1 to cactus, prickly pears, another plant that has fruit,

-1 to palm trees as it requires tropical and subtropical, which doesn't fit wurm

I'm fair sure our wurm islands can, at the very least, classify as Warm Temperate(Considering our short winter) and palms grow just fine in warm temperate climates.  Hell we have palms in Vancouver Canada(Granted they are a different species then the traditional Florida palm).    But the "Palm trees need tropical climates" is kinda really short sighted

Palm trees are pretty common throughout Europe and US

With of course harvestable coconuts... and African swallows.

Saw a nice tropical island setup yesterday. It was begging for a couple palm trees.

+1 for both ideas

On 2016-07-02 at 4:18 PM, Greyfox said:

Hell we have palms in Vancouver Canada(Granted they are a different species then the traditional Florida palm)

They're not native to the BC coast. Much the same to be said about bamboo, Although bamboo does thrive and grows like a weed. I'm originally from Vancouver.

Perhaps if there was an Equator on the world map, then by all means, have palm trees. Then we can also have coconuts, pineapple and musa (wild banana).

-1 dont like the idea find them not fitting into the landscape

1 hour ago, Sirene said:

Fret not... soon all of Chaos will be a fitting landscape.

6 hours ago, Sirene said:

They could always add special rules such as giving Cactus the Oak/Willow rule of killing anything in 3 spaces and having them planted only on sand

They could do a similar thing to palm and only having them be grown near water level

Edited by enoofu

14 hours ago, Aszhrae said:

They're not native to the BC coast. Much the same to be said about bamboo, Although bamboo does thrive and grows like a weed. I'm originally from Vancouver.

Perhaps if there was an Equator on the world map, then by all means, have palm trees. Then we can also have coconuts, pineapple and musa (wild banana).

Not native but they grow just fine.   Also, Vancouver has a longer winter then we do in Wurm.  I simply used it as an example of how then can, realistically, grow and survive in our Wurm climate.
Also, we could be like the Galapagos, being right at the intersection of 3 major ocean currents gives it a rather unique combination of plants and animals that wouldn't normally be found growing/living close to eachother.