Sign in to follow this  
PsMaster

New community website

I was just testing your website and would like to see a few things changed/added, constructed feedback :P

1) Show all navigation pages so that new visitors know what the website is about. You may redirect the user to register before accessing certain pages such as 'Auction'. At first impression I didn't want to register to a website that I have no information on. So yeah, show all pages regardless of access to them. 

2) When creating a new auction the 'Create' button did not auto-close the pop-up. I had to click 'Create' then 'Close' then refresh and notice it had indeed created the auction. You should make it so the 'Create' button closes the dialog so it looks like it did something.

3) Under the 'New Auction' you need a bit more information on there for people to even consider the auction, i.e. Server, Delivery (Yes/No), Delivery Cost

4) Units of measurement on 'Increment' and 'Base Price' need to be clear, what does 00.00 mean? Is that 1 copper equal to 00.01? Or is 1 copper equal to 01.00 ? Maybe best to have 3 separate fields called Gold/Silver/Copper as single integer fields.. so the shovel I have put up for sale would be, 0 Gold, 0 Silver, 1 Copper. More easy to understand and use

5) The 'create' button under 'Add Item' dialog box is doing the  same thing as the 'New Auction' issue i mentioned in point 2 above. It needs to close dialog or at least display a small message at the bottom of the dialog saying 'Item added'... which may be better so people can quickly add a few items without having to keep going back into the dialog.

6) Homepage should show last 5 auctions that are nearing their end date... 

7) Services page whereby people can add work that they are willing to do and how much for. Including, server, timezone, hours of work, material needed, require supply of food and water, etc etc..

Looks promising.

Oh! and I'd separate the small image icons by category too, so the user clicks 'Tools' then it shows the tool images rather than having to scroll down and look through all the items. 

Then if you have time, you could probably go through and rename a lot of the icons, but that'd be a long laborious process.

Usually when you click on a web form like that, with multivalue drop down list (images drop down), you can start typing on your keyboard and it automatically locates you to what you have typed.. i.e. 'tools' would take you to the first item beginning with tools_

Edited by Kammerz

You may want to add a server/cluster-field to the auctions as well.. looking forward to the site though... seems promising :)

Put on the auctions link for everyone to see and made it so you need to login to see those.

Did the auto close for when auction is successfully created (seems like somethings not working, you should get a colored box with text added to the popup bottom, red on error, orange on warnings and green on success, looks good on my side, maybe something up with jquery, I'll test it on more browsers).

The currency if a bit of a pain in the ass but I'll see what's possible, was thinking of people wanting to sell for Euros too, but for now all the prices are supposed to be in silver. The problem with euros and silver is bidding, since then you'd have to put in some logic on what is worth what...

Good idea on adding server and delivery, will definitely look into that, making some base classes for villages, alliances and village management so will see what I can do.

The news section on home page will have all sorts of things (latest articles, auctions and maybe some other stuff), still didn't have much time to work on it, just parsed the ranks html and status xml directly from wurm apache server for now.

For the services there will be such functionality on articles module, was working on the auctions mainly for now.

I'm looking forward to use another jqueryUI library for more interface functionality so I'll add some combo boxes and auto complete once I'm a bit more familiar with it.

Thanks for the response!

Update 05.05.2014: Added server migrations to the home page. Current threshold is set to 4 and we'll see how this works (could be adjusted to more if we get many notifications), that means if 4 or more people chross from 1 server to another, you will get a notification on the website with info on how many and from which server to which one crossed at what time. The info displayed is for last 2 hours, the times on notifications depend on wurm servers time. Notifications auto refresh every 63 secconds, the worker gathers info only once every minute and stores it on the database.

Another update, added statistics module, check the original post.

Wow, very nice work on that site!  Looks fantastic :)

Implemented the chat functionality, tested together with a few users, seems to work, just a prototype for now. Once you connect to chat you can see the last 100 messages so if nobody is spamming you can leave a message for someone. Messages are limited to 300 symbols and will NOT post if you input more. All error messages are visible only to you.

Will add terms of use link to the bottom of the page, so if you do so malicious stuff on the site I can ban you :D

Will be working on the news section on the page so I don't have to post here on the forums every time I update something. The same system should apply to articles, so maybe we can get some people to write tutorials soon :)

• Like 1

Bump!

The social site looks very promising.

One bug I noticed on the front page of wurmcommunity.com.

The server uptime is ticking down not up, what's gonna happen when it hits zero!?  :unsure:

Yea, will have to fix it, it's because there's a bug converting unix timestamp to DateTime format.

Also we have 2 new subdomains social.wurmcommunity.com and forum.wurmcommunity.com

For now those are still under heavy development and configuration, but it's moving along slowly.

All of the domains use separate databases so you will have to register in order to use those. If all is fine we can just loose the forum subdomain and move all the functionality to social one.

For now there seems to be a bug in the CMS I'm using with user registration and authentication from social websites, while I'm waiting for an answer from developers you can still use the registration form, but I have to approve your account manually so it might take some time for me to check it out.

More details and all the news will be posted on the social subdomain news and blog sections which are publicly available.

Updated the server online timer display, was displaying wrong uptime time due to hoster server location, fixed by offsetting for now.

Added OnlinePlayer data to statistics for manual data analysis in case somethings off with migration catching. The data displayed is from last 4 hours.

Another round of bug fixing. The daily activity chart will now display correct dates, tweaked the display a bit and reversed data order, the latest data will now show up on the left side of the chart. Added new fields when creating an auction: delivery (boolean), delivery price (decimal) and location where you're selling the item (enum). Default auction list will now be sorted by their starting dates (newest ones are on top).

Will look through the home page and see what usefull data could be added to it once I have more time.

Added new prospecting helper to the tools section. More details on the tools section itself. It's using webGl so it's actually a 3D scene, just locked the camera to look like 2D. Will add more functionality for changing colors for different types of veins and whatever comes to mind. Getting 25-60fps (depending on zoom) on my phone (Samsung S2) so it should require fairly low end graphics card, probably integrated intel graphics should work just fine.

Requires a fairly new browser and javascript to use.

I am currently working on an interactive 3D elevation map for PvP tactics.

Inter_Map.png

It's currently still under heavy development, but things seem to move along nicely. There's a new link "3DMaps" on the top of the page, it takes you to map management screen where you can create a new map and mark it as private, public or for your own group use.

Private let's only you see the map you created, you will be able to put on markers or whatever else, but you will not be able to share it unless you make screenshots or something.

Public let's everyone see the map. You will be able to add users to it who can help you mark places and so on.

Group maps let only specific people access the map, you will be able to set permission on who can view, commit to the map, delete stuff or manage map permissions.

For now the map under development can be found here: http://www.wurmcommunity.com/Home/TestView2 , you can rotate the view for now, but latter it will be locked to top view only or limited on rotation to some degree.

Still need to edit the heightmap manually and add all the features for marking places, but go ahead and see if it works.

Future plans for this is integrating it with SignalR for players to be able to see live action on the map as anyone who uses it can see the changes instantly, so if you're commanding a group of people and want to add waypoints, roads, goals, add text or whatever you will be able to do so. For now this goes only to Elevation, since managing multiple maps would be way too much work unless you have experience using Three.js and want to help out :)

Also was just looking at the map right now and thought, oh, it could be fairly easy to add a tool for locating distances (another feature to be added) :)

Edited by PsMaster

Made quite some fixes for Chrome browsers. Seems you can't use .contains jquery function on chrome for some strange reason, which made migrations and auctions response messages not show up. Additional minor fixes for data validation and antiforgery tokens. Mostly done with the backend functionality for the maps, now it's just for the client...

August 26, 2014

Quite few internal fixes for data validation and a lot of updates for the new 3DMaps features, those are still in development and won't come soon due to lack of personal time for those.

Fix for migration history updates, had some database issues. Also moved the migration updates to a new "ATrigger" service instead of Azure cloud services, since it's free and my monthly Azure credit ran out, so the old services were stopped.

Things are moving slowly right now, new appartment and lots of stuff to do at work, so I can't spend much time on this project anymore, but will maintain it up to date somehow.

If you have any experience with .NET MVC 5 (C#), HTML, JavaScript, CSS, EntityFramework or whatever in general, you are free to join in and help me develop the community website.

Update 12.09.2014: Added PvP Checklist in the tools section. Still some bugs with layout and styles and some icons missing, but it's already usable.

Never again find out you forgot to take something when you're roaming around!

pvplist.png