Sign in to follow this  
blayze

Hitplats, damage marks, what ever you want to call it

Posting this on both Suggestion and Epic PVP sub forums is pretty important, but in my absence Blayze has posted this for me. Thanks! - Cndo

What I am suggesting is not a ground breaking revelation and not a absolutely huge game-breaker at all, but a way to change pvp to make it 100% more appealing.

Here it is simply, hitplats.

A new combat system that keeps what we have now but changes the way the damage delivered message is recieved by the player. Instead of constantly watching "Deadly hard damage" in the bottom corner of your screen make it show a damage "splat" shows up on the creature or player you are attacking. The damage will be a red splat to show the physical effect of your damage.

Now instead of opening a creature or player to see your damage that you have done it shows up in front of you.

Under this system you will ONLY SEE YOUR OWN HITPLATS, however a tab can continue to record what hits you do but with messages like "Cndo delivers 32 damage to Kellyt's head"

instead of the standard message we know.

Not only will red hitplats appear, but also effects.

Shield bash someone a *Stunned* hitplat rises up

Frostbrand will appear after the red hitsplat but be blue in color showing what frost damage you did.

Flaming Aura similiar but in orange

Rotting touch will show in purple what you after the hitplat with the (+) whatever is added such as (32 damage) (+4)

Venom will have status messages like (Poisioned!)

The same hitsplat idea can also be used for firepillars so you can now physically see in front of you how many people you just hit with your crazy 8x8 fire pillar you amazing handsome magranon priest you.

This allows the player to know HOW WELL THEY ARE DOING far better than any vague damage system, it also makes testing easier to see the effects of enchants and weapons.

Something to consider, feel free to add to this idea and discuss below.

Hitplat or what ever you want to call it this game needs a more interactive pvp system that gives feedback that isn't like reading a book. 

• Like 1

I am working on an external java tool which shows such information more clearly. I guess adding a hit marker to the tool would be a nice gadget.

But no idea when it will be finished...

btw: +1

Edited by Sklo:D

I tend to go -1 on this subject....

Don't get me wrong, I do not like the marathon of reading that goes on in PvP, but I would want something a little more wurm, like perhaps visual representations of wounds on the player. Like if you hit them in the shoulder deadly hard and examining the wound would say a deep hole at the right shoulder then have a graphic that changes that part to a bleeding hole in their shoulder. I don't want something that shows exactly how much damage I am hitting for or what others are, it would make the fight feel less about group effort and shot calling skill and more about who can put out the most DPS. If it is too hard to add the graphics I am speaking of or too resource intensive then just leave it as is. I prefer the current system over runescape style "histplats" anyday.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong, I do not like the marathon of reading that goes on in PvP, but I would want something a little more wurm, like perhaps visual representations of wounds on the player. Like if you hit them in the shoulder deadly hard and examining the wound would say a deep hole at the right shoulder then have a graphic that changes that part to a bleeding hole in their shoulder. I don't want something that shows exactly how much damage I am hitting for or what others are, it would make the fight feel less about group effort and shot calling skill and more about who can put out the most DPS. If it is too hard to add the graphics I am speaking of or too resource intensive then just leave it as is. I prefer the current system over runescape style "histplats" anyday.

I agree with this. A graphic to show a wound is ok, but not actual numbers.

I don't think there is any point in pretending the PVP system is anything more than die-rolls and numbers. It would be awesome to make it more visually appealing, but I'd rather see graphics or changes in the actual PVP rather than changes as to how the information is presented. Additionally, I sort of like not knowing exactly what damage is happening, vague enchant descriptions and such. If people know everything about it, for me it'd be boring.

Or maybe I am just having flashbacks from my Runescape days, and don't feel like reliving them here with hit points and pop-up splotches.

Edited by Haydn
  • Like 1

I don't think there is any point in pretending the PVP system is anything more than die-rolls and numbers. It would be awesome to make it more visually appealing, but I'd rather see graphics or changes in the actual PVP rather than changes as to how the information is presented. Additionally, I sort of like not knowing exactly what damage is happening, vague enchant descriptions and such. If people know everything about it, for me it'd be boring.

Or maybe I am just having flashbacks from my Runescape days, and don't feel like reliving them here with hit points and pop-up splotches.

You know that you can look at the body of the thing your attacking and see how much damage you did right? One more thing is that its not just die-rolls unless you like getting destroyed or pve. You have to attention to see where they targeting so you can counter special moves like carve which almost determines the battle. Also knowing where to target and what to target can change the fight around.

it would make the fight feel less about group effort and shot calling skill and more about who can put out the most DPS

I completely disagree and here are the reason why. Where there is around twenty or more people all in a large group text jumps across your screen preventing you from being to tell how much your hitting or if you are even hitting the person. Not only that but you cant back off shield bashes or you miss the text seeing that some one is already bashed. Knowing when pillars are good or not immensely helps. I have also seen countless number of people (not going to say names) who go into pvp with out a weapon on or a bow out and don't know till after that they went doing any damage because of the rapid fire text. When group leaders or the individual people them selves cant accurately see whats going on it makes shot calling and information gathering less accurate and chaotic.

We are not proposing this for all the pve people out there because their life doesn't depend on trying to read through combat logs or making the best out of the fighting system.

This also isn't just used in games like runescape it can be found in LoL, WoW, EverQuest and almost ever other MMO I know. Its hard to not find a game that does not have it.

I agree, but please keep in mind that such things take forever to implement. Also, "hitsplats" or simply a better combat tab dont have to tell you exact numbers at all. They can be as vague as you want them to be. Point is, its just bad as it is right now.

I call it fountains of blood and gore.

Ever cut off a chicken's head? Yeah, fun memories growing up in the country. :P

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

i repeat what i said in the other thread

too cartoony for wurm

i'd rather have the number of damage dealt show up in the combat text instead

tell cndo to stahp runnscapping and get his fm to 99 already

Im all for a less txt-based means of showing dmg dealt; though, the dmg text in events is nice for tuning and tweaking, so good to have as an option.

That said Im all for more visible and gfx reliant dmg, and we dont really need numerical bloodspats to do it (course it could still be done, depending on the style and art, and not be cartoony). In the same sense we get general dmg indicators in events, we would get general info from say the amount of blood spatter or size of visible wounds.

Less than and equal to light wounds would not show through armor, Mediums would show visual bleeding, and everything else would show on the body as per its description: holes, broken bones, etc.

Not to mention visible dmg to armor: cuts, rents, dents, etc.

Edited by Klaa

If you want more visually based damage, there's only two possible ways to go about it

1. visible wounds, which i can't see a proper way to intergrate

2. replacing the target menu with another ragdoll (of the same size), which would represent the limbs of the enemy, which would redden an area whenever they are hit and darkening with severity (also having it be able to be used for archery)

those are the only two i can see without breaking the realistic nature of wurm and having floating text/hitsplats

Edited by RainRain

I would perhaps like to be able to see the paper-doll of your target like can for yourself, this would also aid in healing other people wounds as well as seeing wounds on enemies.  remove all the gear boxes around it and just the skeleton part.  Doesn't exactly match up with what this thread is about but easier to implement and and could survey wounds during battle much quicker.

The examine window is really bad imo.