Sign in to follow this  
pietrko

Open Economy Project [Desertion]

I'll start with criticism, remember i don't want to insult anybody this is just my point of view.

PROBLEMS:

Despite the potential of game and the possiblities it offers, servers i've seen are like big ghost towns, 

Maybe i will give some examples:

• We have tons of houses with beds that stays empty and owner use them for hour per week - but finding a bed for rent is like win in lottery.
  • We have maaany ports and ships built  - but no organized naval transport.
  • The devs give us possibility of using carts for transport - but there is no possibility to transport your goods from point A to B, other than pulling your cart by yourself. ( transport service is perfectly possible with game engine but still nobody offers it)
  • Allmost all  settlements  have access to mine - but there is no chance you could buy iron from them.
  • There is tons of farms but still its almost impossible to buy food anywhere.
  • There are many skilled players who working together would create marvelous items, but since trade is rare and settlements are sooo dispersed (and sparsly inhabited) the chance you meet somone helpfull are small

This situation is basically against any economic rules - its just waste of space resources and time.

Despite of tons developed settlements each and every new player start as poor beggar and has to walk the same boring path as everyone else before in aim

to be self-sufficient (which is imho to large extent waste of time).

If you don't belong to settlement there is no way you can interact with them - this makes gameworld one big uncivlised graveyard.

What is the point of creating a new settlement which does exactly the same thing as every settlement before it?

The things would SOOOO much easier especially for new players if there would be some real trade.

Why all the settlements are closed enclaves which doesn't provide outside world with any usefull goods or services?

I don't know the answer maybe the rest of players like that situation - not me.

SOLUTION

So i propose an idea to solve it: "Open Economy Project"

The aim of project is to create a set of basic services for all players of Desortion server.

Something that will resemble real medieval economy.

Our aim is not to build new things but use modified existing infrastructure to provide services.

•  Transporting network - renting a carts and boats, for travelling from post/port A to post/port B.
  • Mines - with all needed eqipment to start mining, well lit and eventually guarded.
  • Charcal stations - for fueling blacksmiths
  • Workshops and blacksmiths - for basic tool creation.
  • Inns - with beds for rent an kitchens for hungry travellers,

The locations of all of those will be known to everyone even to raiders (they also form player community).

All elements of OEP will be connected by trade network and will exchange goods between them (thats the point).

Every player will be able to:

buy goods from OEP for fair price

or get them as reward for work some of OEP venture

or just take them for free if the good is not that valuable

The aim of project its to provide player community with the greatest amount of goods and tools using the minimal possible amount of resources and buildings.

Well i will start with mine as I think it will be the most useful for new players

If anybody is interested in helping the project pm me:

my ingame nick is Petre.

I will report about the progress (if there will be any) in this thread.

Edited by pietrko

I'll be surprised if people from your own Kingdom don't end up griefing you, however good luck!

Could you be more elaborate on that? Well i think the whole project is in their favour.

Excellent idea but one of the fundamental problems of refecting real-world economics is the negative factor.  The reality is there are consequences for cetain actions that go against the social-economic norm (a.k.a we make your life hell)  how will that work here.  Do not assume everyone has the community's intrest at heart.  But I think this has real promise.....Mods take note!

The first obstacle is that the game itself is working Capitalism style so we would need to overpass the Silver value of real life dollar to make a new meaning of every actions we take (PPl tend to say 1 action is worth 1 iron...)

I really like the idea there you talk i also think about it for some times...

(Edit: oops didnt refresh to see the guy before me saying it first)

Edited by Durolith

I like the transport idea, and inn are all ready around, But this will be hard to maintain.

This seems ambitious but the fundamental ideology fails to keep certain obstacles in mind.

First of all, I think your view of economy on the server is distorted. Whilst I agree it can sometimes be difficult for less experienced players to devise methods of aquiring what they require, I disagree with the obvious prospect that we currently lack economical structure and organisation. Once you know what sort of things are valuable or require specialization, you can begin to explore tools that connect you with people who have achieved those specializations.. (such as forums or kchat)

Also don't forget that Desertion is a pvp server after all, and since Wurm has very diverse social aspects in comparison to other games of the same calibre it is easy to intentionally or unintentionally cause vulnerabilities in the security of your town or even someone elses' town if you were to publicy publish the location and design of towns or even key transportation routes.

Normally, towns on pvp home servers, such as Desertion, are built in mind of protecting the inhabitants against a possible invasion. Thus, they usually appear to be very closed off, but appearances can be decieving. If you approach them with a humble and friendly attitude you may find that many of them are quite generous and warm-hearted. It is only a matter of breaking the "Do they have good intentions or bad intentions?" barrier of experiencing someone new to you on a pvp server on Wurm..

Edit: Perhaps you should concentrate more on spreading awareness about market tools already in place and proven to be effective and functional over the years, such as forums. It is very possible newer people are not aware or interested in the forums, unknowing that most of the "formal" buying and selling occurs on the forums.

Edited by Nik
  • Like 2