Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Fishing Items

Fish Drying Racks - Filet the fish and then place them inside of the drying rack and after x amount of time they become dried and can then be stored in an FSB.

2 types -small personalized rack and large, feed the village, sized racks.

ug4PPvZ.jpg

Fishing nets (Cast Nets) -cannot be used on boats but instead are used standing on the shore to catch multiple smaller fish.

Fixed Gill Nets - Long net placed from point a to point b across a stretch of water that can catch multiple small to medium sized fish.

Seine nets -used on large boats for large catch potential.

Personal sized fish traps that can be set along the coastal areas to trap small to meduim sized fish, perhaps no more than 1 or 2 fish per trap.

Add Whales and by default whaling - Add harpoon used by person in rowing boat to harpoon it. If the rowing boat is not sunk in the process (rowing boat can be drug around for x amount of time while harpoonist is struggling with the catch, QL of boat affects chance of sinking, boat takes dmg during the fight) then the whale tires after x amount of time and becomes stationary allowing corbita or better but not knarr to come alongside and attach the whale to the ship and cart it in to shore. All manner of variant on this could be put in as long as it takes 2 boats, large and small to do the whaling as seen below.

fwjzM3W.jpg

Large potential for harvestable items such as bone, blubber, oil ect ect ect. Whale meat / blubber should also make very nutritional food.

Add Salmon - because Salmon taste 1000000% better than catfish and carp :blink: . Should also provide large bonus to nutrition and should weigh in on the hefty scale for fish, providing quite a bit of protien.

Add crab (they are in now just lacking the traps) and lobster -build traps that can be set near shore or set in deep water. Variants to size would allow all manner of boat types to be used.(Wood, iron and steel variants)

And finally - set nutritonal values on each type of fish one can catch (visible not hidden value)

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 12

Buccans for the wooden cooking/drying frame.

The biggest thing that would really help fishing in Wurm is being able to stow it in food bins. Typical example is akin to how raw and cooked meat currently behave. The raw fish is cooked, smoked, salted, dried, or whatever. The finished product would then fit in the bins.

That change right there would be massive.

Something else Id like personally is being able to farm and raise fish once caught. Whether it be with the large wooden tubs or enabling some fence type to be built in shallow water (the kindling fence?).

Whaling would also provide an alternative to olive oil for lamps, torches, and the oil barrel supply.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 3

Salmon taste 1000000% better than catfish

Pffffff says you :P ,   +1 though.

• Like 1

+1 to everything.

In particular the whaling thing appeals to me (it's come up before) but would obviously require the most effort.

I've said it before, but I think all sorts of traps should become more useful in pve for semi-passive food source similar to farming (btw, can we use net traps or whatever they're called for fishing to save on new items?)

• Like 1

I can understand why everyone wants to store meat, but we have to be honest about something here.  It is way too easy to get meat by fishing.  It was designed for new players so they would not starve.  I have many times taken my boat out and come back with over 3000 kilos of fish in 1 trip.  Being that easy we don't have a good excuse for wanting to save it.  Sorry.  But +1 to more ways to fish, and more types.

Edited by Vroomfondel

+1

Lobster cages would be great, trawling nets also. Just attach a trawling net to a boat (small for sail boats, large nets for bigger ships) and sail through the deepest and best fishing spots and once you get back to port you can check your haul and take your catch out. To balance, the net damages with each trip and the more fish in it the more it damages, cannot be repaired so you need to keep making new nets often to keep fishing. Thus would make fish a very marketable food.

• Like 1

+1 Fishing needs love , preserving of some type being  my biggest wish.

Fishing nets on boats! YES! This is MUST BE item!

Let it catch 5 fishies per action or even random from 1 to 10.

Level needed to Create fishing nets can be 30 ropemaking for example.

Drying rack -> FSB is a huge +1 from me.

Nets, I like the small ones to be used from the shore. Mixed on the boat ones - would restrict it to something smallish and have it more or less just an activity for the passengers to do while on your boat as to not destroy the standard fisherman.

Whaling, I am mixed on that one, it seems like fun, but it sounds like it would be difficult/annoying in how wurm handles moving vehicles that your client is not controlling.

How about a wood smoker that burns wood scraps. Put in fish filets and scraps and than have it burn for like 2 wurm days, needing more scraps to be added based on how many filets are in there.

Could be made from bricks like an oven. Smoked filets could than go in fsb.

Also could do meat filets plus salt to make jerky, a high nutrition snack that decays very slowly.

+1 Drying rack for filets. It doesn't even have to do anything mechanic wise, or even prevent rotting. Just need a place to put fillets instead of item box piles on the shoreline. That, or homogenize fish piles into one standard pile model when mixed fish types are in a group. It's all about shoreline beautification to me.

Edited by Csponge

I like this idea I am all for it being more realistic and whaling would fit in the time frame of this game also gives us more reasons to improve a row boat.

sharkfinsoup ..... *murmurs*

+ for that suggestions above

Edited by Caiji