Sign in to follow this  
Puertorro

Add "lower sails" option for sailing boats

Hey everyone,

I was thinking devs should add the ability to lower the sails for sailing boats.  This would help when travelling against the wind and make sailing a little more realistic.  The way im thinking is when you are sailing against the wind, you can right click on the boat the and click on an "lower sails" option to do so.  Once sails are lowered, the speed of the boat would be a either 5 - 10km more, or the speed of a rowboat.  This will help boost the economy as more people will be willing to sail cross server due to speed boost on boats.  Please share your opinion respectfully and make constructive criticism as needed.

• Like 2

Actual sailboats use a zig zagging tactic called tacking, lowering sails to speed up isnt really necessary, as its possible to avoid heading directly into the wind. most big boats are only sail powered anyways, the knarr is technically run by oars but that already has a boost if more people are on it (effectively rowing)

• Like 1

Actual sailboats use a zig zagging tactic called tacking, lowering sails to speed up isnt really necessary, as its possible to avoid heading directly into the wind. most big boats are only sail powered anyways, the knarr is technically run by oars but that already has a boost if more people are on it (effectively rowing)

I understand but that applies to sailboats.  Bigger boats in reality dont do that, they lower the sails then make "slaves" row to the destination.  Actually throughout history the wind barely helped them navigate, most of the work was done by slaves under the whip ;)

In wurm you can tack too, and it works pretty well.

Not sure how lowering the sails on any of the ships would help, other than crewed knarrs.

Lowering the sails on bigger ships makes even less sense, you arn't going to be rowing a corbita+, you would end up just drifting.

-1, doesn't make any sense to me.

Tacking irl involves sailing close hauled to the wind, and it's alot of fun, much faster than having the wind behind you.
However it doesn't work in Wurm, i assume because our boats don't have centreboards/daggerboards.

I'm just glad that we dont get blown sideways when we sail 90 degrees to the wind. lol.

Lowering sails wouldn't improve sailing into the wind because sailing into the wind with sails up doesn't get you blown backwards.

It'd be purely aesthetic 

Tacking irl involves sailing close hauled to the wind, and it's alot of fun, much faster than having the wind behind you.

However it doesn't work in Wurm,

Actually, you don't go fastest sailing with the wind in Wurm...

• Like 1

:ph34r: 
going to have to test that out before i say another word :P , be ready for an edit

- that was odd , when i sailed close-hauled with the wind to the right of me, i achieved top speed..

when i sailed close hauled with the wind to the left of me, it was only medium 

I confess i no longer know what i'm talking about other than the r/l thing, thanks for the correction. 

:)

Edited by Steveleeb

Raising and lowering sails could be useful for regulating speed in high winds. There is nothing worse that trying to bring a Cog into dock at 25km/h+. Adjusting sails for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full sail to allow the pilot to navigate easier.     

• Like 1

Maybe we just need the ability to enslave trolls and force them to row for us.

• Like 1

Raising and lowering sails would be useful to limit forward speed, but it's makes no sense for traveling against the wind because we have tacking for that.

What would be necessary, however, is a more proper implementation of sailing mechanics. Sailing close-hauled against the wind should be a bit faster than it currently is.

Raising and lowering sails could be useful for regulating speed in high winds. There is nothing worse that trying to bring a Cog into dock at 25km/h+. Adjusting sails for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full sail to allow the pilot to navigate easier.     

i suggested this over a year ago, seems like it would be easy to impliment, just apply a modifier to the speed varialbe of the ship depending on what sail setting your on. and have a slight timer between speed settings. maybe 1 minute before the speed takes effect. or less. and make it sequential and a key bind. so from furrled sails, you click once, and get 1/4. click again to get 1/2, click again for 3/4 and again for full, same in reverse for hauling the sails in. would make sailing a bit more engauging and force pilots to plan ahead when they are aproacing their berth. perhaps make sailing a skill based on time spent moving on the water instead of actions, the higher your skill, the faster the sails can switch between speed settings. 

as for helping speed in a headwind, the original suggestion is silly. you can tack very easily in this game. the only exception is when your going through a canal and the wind is directily against you. which is rare. but the idea has much merit for increasing ship handling ability.

A sailor skill that allows for certain actions to be performed on a ship. More actions unlock as the skill increases.

Actions are also timer-based and can be interrupted say in pvp.

Bigger boats in reality dont do that, they lower the sails then make "slaves" row to the destination.  Actually throughout history the wind barely helped them navigate, most of the work was done by slaves under the whip ;)

As an IRL sailor and amateur nautical historian I can tell you that that statement is definitely not true :P

If we had a "lower sails" option I'd like to see it be something that slows the boat right down for docking... so it can be "rowed in" (something that sailing boats did do and still do.)

• Like 1

I agree that it would be nice to have an option when right clicking a boat to set the sails and adjust the speed 1/4.1/2, 3/4, & Full.

That way you could have more control when docking and maneuvering in some situations.

So this part of the suggestion is a +1