Sign in to follow this  
vasisuelle

Meal anti-decay measures

Dear Wurmians,

my idea is making meals lose it's decay while being heat once again.

Let's say, it could be made like Mend spell - meal loses 20 decay in exchange for 7ql.

ofc that numbers are just an example

Let's put lab-made preservatives and silicon on our food, increasing the shelf life 100x!!

• Like 3

I don't really think this helps.
I think they should bring in salt veins underground that you can mine. So we actually have a decent supply of salt.
Either that or. something is created so we can gather it from the "sea" while out on boats. Not a random "You find salt" I mean a real process for minning it ;p

Edited by AlexLong
  • Like 2

+1 for salt veins.  It's too rare to actually use atm.

Salt is a reliable preservative, but in large quantities it's not good for you. So, perhaps salt would allow the meal to last longer at the expense of the nutrition value of it?

Salt is not only a good preservative, but you need salt.  Only excess salt is bad for you.  No need to drop nutrition unless you try to use more than 1 salt per meal.

To the op I like the idea of reducing meal decay, but once food is bad, reheating doesn't take away the fact that it's still bad. A rotten potato is still a rotten potato wether reheated or not. But still +1 to ways to reduce meal Decay.

A better way might be the idea of converting food into rations (medium nutrition food creatable from high nutrition food (meals and sandwiches), slow decay) by wrapping it.

• Like 1

salt and magical chests

-1 not suitable for wurm's timeframe

Edited by RainRain

Just make more meals.

Edited by Toplel

I think, that in reality, heating a food (especially meat) over and over again does quite the opposite as after heating, the structure is changed or completely destroyed, making it much more vulnerable to decay.

Just a thing I heard, that seemed quite logical.

Anyway, in theory, a silver dust might help against bacteria. But some compounds of silver might be poisonous. And then again, Wurm is a "magical" world, so non if this might be relevant.

What I think is, that the seas (oceans) should be salty (gods crying huh?) and there should be a possibility to get salt from it. Involving a skill, some tools and patience. It would also be a nice to give the "taste" ability some deeper meaning and get fresh water more "valuable". Also giving space to brewing some beer, which used to be a great solution to "dirty water" problems. And also increasing mood and aggressivity sometimes. Self-pity and headache later.

Edited by Pangaron