Sign in to follow this  
Necrorave

Evasion

While I love a good clash between two Plated armies, I feel the use of the other armors have been reduced to hunting or "Working" apparel.

While I dreamed of a Wurm world with armor variety in PvP I came across an idea I wish to discuss.

I do not have much (If any) experience in PvP so feel free to mock my crazy ideas.

----------------------------------------------------------

Plate is exactly the way it should be now, a wall with legs.  I have no problems there.  However, Chain and Leather armors are rarely seen in PvP for obvious reasons.

My idea was to basically make evasion a much more common occurrence.  That way plate still gets the bonuses we know and love, but those who wish to use a something lighter will have a small advantage of their own.

I would also like to say that this post was made in relation to PvP on the Epic Cluster.  I do not speak of PvP in Chaos because I have not participated in it.

I feel this idea would make other armors more of an option, and those who wish to play as that "Rogue" type can still accomplish something.

Plate should always be the superior armor choice of course, but why can't other choices be effective in their own way?

Please discuss, feedback is welcome.

PS: This is an idea, not a "This should happen" post.  I merely wish to discuss

EDIT: This evasion change would involve giving all armor except for plate a positive % change (Less of a hindrance) to the Evasion chances that way other armor choices or "Mixtures" would gain from this.  Plate will still be exceptional armor but will be the only armor that still gives a major decrease in evasion.  (Excluding Body Control skill of course)

Edited by Necrorave
  • Like 1

How if Rolf add dragon spawns? Obviously with necessity of dragon hide in order to improve those armours.

It's just a suggestion.

Aye not much in the way of acrobatics in Wurm (cant even jump :P ). Let alone running up walls, along ledges, and general swinging in the breeze. :ph34r:

Then theres some degree of being able to dodge arrows without a shield... should be a pretty high body control imho.

Edited by Klaa

On epic you don't play as a 'rougue' type, you join up in groups and work as a kingdom

with that in mind, just like you said, nothing would ever compare to plate, epic's version of diversifying armor is usually different kings of plate, like glimmer and adamantine, and then regular steel

Edited by Cornchips
  • Like 1

On epic you don't play as a 'rougue' type, you join up in groups and work as a kingdom

with that in mind, just like you said, nothing would ever compare to plate, epic's version of diversifying armor is usually different kings of plate, like glimmer and adamantine, and then regular steel

I think you misinterpreted my use of the word "Rogue"

I am using the word in the sense of someone who can be "Quicker" than than a knight.  Rather than it being purely based on your personal Strength that decides speed.  Why can't we just give lesser armors a bit more of a "Passive defense" so that we can see some more variety in the battlefield.  I can be a "Rogue" in a group.  That guy that is quick on his feet and can harass the enemy or flank them easier than my allies in plate.  Creating more of a "Class" system in the game.  (I use the term class lightly, I like the freedom of Wurm of course but in its current state the PvP revolves around wearing plate)

While I am excited to attend more PvP plate or not.  I just wish I had the choice of wearing chain or leather and not bringing my team down  because of my personal preferences to play the game.

This is not hindering plate in any way, just giving lesser armor more of a use in PvP.

Plate is the best armor in the game and should remain that way as I have said, but it also hinders your movement the most as it should.  Why not make the lesser armors like Chain and Leather give the player more mobility other than just movement speed?

I know evasion is already a thing in the game obviously, but I feel it rarely ever happens even with nothing hindering your ability to do it.

He wants your player to passive dodge more in leather/chain than in plate to try and bring the armors closer in balance.

• Like 1

this is easy

having high bc should obviously increase your dodge rate, which intensifies depending on armor worn (sleather being high dodge rate low glance rate, chain being a balance of the two, plate being low dodge rate high glance rate)

IN TURN,

glance rate should be based on body str, meaning if you have say, 40 body str and 30 bc, it's much better for you to wear plate than sleather, and 40bc over 30str would mean plate, while 40 of both would suggest any of the three would be good to use.

of course to counteract the fact that heavier armor would decrease damage taken by a large margin, have heavier types of armor reduce attack speed and parry rate by a lot, with lighter having a negligible effect

without the last addition it would be stupid to wear sleather/chain anyways because plate still has a very obvious advantage over everything else

Edited by RainRain

Part of the problem is that horses nullify the only downside of wearing plate. And once your horse is shot out, you're dead regardless of the armor you use. I once saw someone suggest that mounted players get a CR nerf. Not only would it be historically accurate (the whole point of cavalry was mobility, not "height advantage"), but it would help flesh out the differences between cavalry and infantry. And once fighting on foot isn't an automatic death sentence, then we can move forward with balancing leather and chain.

I personally think light armor should be more for a "skirmisher" type of role -- get in, swing, and get out before the other guy can hurt you. In the past I've suggested speeding up the initial swing timer for people wearing light armor. So for example, if your swing timer is 4 seconds and you're wearing leather, you would only have to wait 2 seconds after entering combat to make your first swing. Every swing after that would be the usual 4 seconds. This would allow for the "skirmisher" playstyle that I mentioned, and it would also make combat slightly more dynamic. If people's behavior during fights changed depending on their gear, maybe fights wouldn't be one giant derpy slugfest where the group with more people and more pillar spam automatically wins.

I also support buffing evasion rates, but the buff should be small enough that someone in leather is still at a disadvantage when they go toe-to-toe with someone in plate. And if by some miracle the devs do make light armor viable, please add some sort of leather or chain armor that protects the face. Wearing a great helm with non-plate just looks dumb.

Edited by Fawkes
  • Like 1

BUT I WANT TO BE A SECRET NINJA 

Barded war elephants make all this obsolete.

All joking aside, I would love a little more fidelity in the armors vs weapons in relation to mobility and engagement postures.

Just to add to my own idea.  Something like this would give "Free players" more ability in PvP.  They will still be greatly Handicapped, but a Free player in Leather or perhaps chain will still be able to contribute somewhat in a battle.  (Since they cannot make plate)

Not saying we need to give free players more privileges but it could give them more of a "fair" taste of PvP to buy premium later on.

EDIT: Not 100% sure of the info I posted above, awaiting verification if anyone knows for sure.  (I have not done platesmithing myself.)

Edited by Necrorave

Why cant free players make plate? there isn't any reason that they are unable to. Free players can wear whatever people give them too.

They still would be pretty useless in pvp other than gank bonus though.