Sign in to follow this  
RedBaron_Johan

News Update: Work And Progress. Week 50

Santa Rolf and Team,

I have to be very honest and say right off the bat that while I tried desperately to succeed being good this year, I haven't always succeeded. Still, I had my moments and there were a few nice things I have done. For one, I have spared all the deer that wondered onto my deed. Secondly, I have replanted most of the trees I have cut down. And most importantly, I have thrown all the little fish below a certain size back into the ocean (and goddammit there were WAY too many of those!).

Well, now that this is out of the way and Santa can visit me with a clear conscience, let's move on to the real meat of this update... ANOTHER PHOTO!

Here we go, folks!

First of all, it is good to see another member of the Wurm team. There is a Rolf! After last week's update proving the existance of Haradur, Wox, RedBaron and ErikN (http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/92108-news-update-work-and-progress-week-49/?p=922810) (or at least hiring some very convincing models to pose for the picture), we now have the man himself. As seen in the photograph, he exists, he also has hair, is still capable of smiling and has his own desk and computer. This now brings the total confirmed assets of Code Club to five members, five computers, nine monitors, two whiteboards, two lava lamps, a gazzillion pens (all belonging to Wox), a small, empty glass, two empty bottles and an action figure of Valdor on RedBaron's desk. Somewhere between those priceless possessions resides Wurm in all its digital glory.

This week, however, we get to confirm the existance of the boss, the big man from the mountain - Rolf himself. The first thing that comes to mind - and I am sure you will all agree with me here - is the shocking fact that he does not have a yellow left eye. Nope. No bionic implant with a laser able to zap disruptive players, no super-lens that sees right through the daily BS, no tiny electronic monitor that reportedly displays in real time the rising and falling financial fortunes of Wurm, not even a gold coin embedded in the eye socket to subconsciously encourage the players to purchase more currency from the Wurm shop. Nope. This, real version of Rolf shows that he is quite human and unlike a weekly claim from many players, not a master of the underworld, not a vengeful god throwing lightnings from heaven, not even a capricious version of Thor sweeping through the land on a mission to smite those who get in the way. He is real, he is human, he is smiling and most likely has feelings. Good. Maybe now we can finally move on.

The second thing that immediately attracts attention is the fact that most of the picture is taken up by monitors. As I have stated before, this is not a small matter. Everyone knows that in the corporate world, the bigger the monitor, the more important the man... and this man here has barely any room left in the frame for his own face. Yes, it is quite possible that the size of these monitors is exagerated due to their position in front of the camera - which creates an optical illusion - but I would bet anything that Rolf arranged the scene for that very purpose. If the size of Wox's monitor last week indicated a great degree of importance, Rolf has ensured that he has him beat squarely. Bravo! That's what we want to see from the top man. A complete, steady control. If anyone has any doubts left at this point, may I bring attention to the fact that there are actually three monitors and two keyboards near Rolf in this picture. Daaamn. I don't even have that...

On the boss' desk there are various artifacts, most of them holy given the owner. There is a crystal cube, which is probably used to predict the player reactions to the smallest of drafts in Motala, the figurine of Yoda, which importance as the source of inspiration cannot be overstated to a gaming crowd, a bunch of papers, a turned over cup (a mystery onto itself), a unique, decorated coffee mug that I think should be added to the game as decoration, and a large bottle of pain medication which is undoubtedly used daily to counteract the steady cavalry charges from the Town Square forum. Behind Rolf there is a map - the complexity of which can only mean that Wurm is heading for greatness - and a few pictures, one of them being a rendering of Valdor in full armour.

So, that's the top man behind the game in his daily glory. Way to go! For on the day that Wurm does actually look like the map behind Rolf - and we know that day is coming - we'll look back with nostalgia at this photo again, perhaps a bit misty eyed, reflecting as we often do about days gone by, and nodding with a slight, melancholic smile, thinking to ourselves "Yes, those were the good days."

Cheers!

Edited by Valdor
  • Like 5

Dear Santa Rolf and Team,

No prem so no gift for me hehe. But whatever you give out, make sure it isn't something people want in the game later as a craftable item (i.e. spyglasses). Basically, make it a useless thing that will gain value for simply becoming rare later on. Keep making this game more awesome.

Also, make spyglases craftable.

Arowhun

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Santa Rolf and Team

We, at New Haven  have many new players come to our town,, or we go to their cries of help, and have established a system of educating these eager players, on how to play the game. We have even set up a new area so they can learn their crafts and up their skills, without getting eaten, too often.

We have great times going on hunting trips, and mucking in on building projects. So, to say one of us has done at least one nice thing this year, would be difficult to pin point.

As i say many a time

This is not a game, it's a way of life!

Santa Rolf and Team,

I want to point out a few people that taught me how to be nice, Hvergi, Alaskanbob, Silakka, Shads, all at one point when I was first starting out pointed me in the right direction of where to look ( wiki ), where to hunt, and even gave me my first home Kalayaan. 

Without them I woulda probably gave up a few hours after multiple deaths falling down Freedom Market mountain side.

As I grew in knowledge I then passed it on to others when I could, offering to help new folks with some starter tools, or even as other have done for me pointed them in the right direction.

Anyways I might not always be considered 'nice' but the one thing I definitely do is try not to be naughty.

Edited by Stormblade

Dear Santa Rolf and Delves....

I really have been trying so hard to feed all the starving animals around our deed. Unfortunately many of them only seem to want to eat each other - or me - so I can't be nice all the time.

But I have been trying.....really.

Oh yes - we found a baby homeless troll last night and brought it home to care for. That was nice right?

And caring for a Venerable Avatar of Fo.....does that count too?

I haven't been in Wurm very long but I did Premium shortly after starting and I help the newer people as much as I am able to in CA_Help.

Great game.

Bryl

Dear Santa, Rolf,  and Team,

I helped a new player by the name of Netraider a few days ago. He is very new and showed up next to my deed "South Bayshore". he was wacking away at a fruit tree with starter tools and not much else. He wanted to build in this little spot that would have been really small for him in a week or so. Well I just happen to have found a beautiful spot right on the water just 2 minutes North of there with a good bit of already flat land but no deeds or players near by. He loved it and started his first house there. To help him get going I gave him a full set of leather armor and a long sword and cotton and a set of higher ql tools. I also gave him a small and large cart and a lock and key to keep his stuff safe. Hew asked about somewhere to go for protection from the wild if he needed it so I offered him citizen ship in my village and he accepted. He now lives off deed where he is building his first house and getting started but has a place on deed when he needs it.

Deputy Dog of South Bayshore

Plater

• Like 1

I helped two noobies pick a spot for their new home and helped defend them/get them started.. I'm so nice!

Santa Rolf and Team:

To help reduce lag on JKH, I destroyed an entire city including dozens of unnecessary writs/buildings. 

I always try to help in CA Chat if any newbie has any Question I can answer. It may be not much, but every Player who enjoys Wurm is one more to make the Lands of Wurm alive!

Dear Santa Rolf and Team.

where to begin... this year has had a few good times, even if i started late (returned to wurm about a month before the sumemr impalong)

when i returned i was on parris island. found the old village i was part of dissapeared, probably something like 2 years ago. so i looked to build a boat to get out. found someone terraforming the place to build a nice big deed so i helped him for a week or two. when impalong came by i sailed south. from here rosedragon caught me and enslaved me in orpington bliss, best thing that happened :).

when impalong came by i sailed back and forth a few times to get tools for villagers who could not attend, i got some tools and weapons of my own, gave some of the ql 70 weapons to 4 new people in deli, i felt bad a spider ambused them and they lost there horses because they gave me a lift back :(

a couple weeks ago, i sailed to cele from inde to make a delivery, when i was there near tapdance one of the new person asked for help to plan a 2x2 house, i stoped the boat and came to help, making him a 2x3 base and staying to cut more log and adding lanks to wall so he could get better ql walls, he had little iron andmade him a tool or two, sadly couldnt go mine with him and make him a set of tools as server reset happened :unsure:

last week i was sailing back from freedom canal when pulling my boat thru the entrance, someone waved by and kept going. when i crossed him on the coast path a few minutes after i saw he was wearing nothing(just the rags) and asked if he needed help. so i gave him a lift to bearshark bay, where he had died, and saw him and his friend hwere making a new deed in the stepe, but had little ressources. left them one horse i had found at sea so they could use for cart, and spent an hour or so going in the nearby woods to get them sprouts and a few flowers to get started in making the place seft sufficient. also left them a few veggies and unfinnished furtinures i found in ruins on my way out and turned back to give them so they had less work to do.

one of my biggest task i had tho was to keep rose's village while she went to chaos, and that most villagers followed, it wasnt easy at first. rose was town's chef, farmer, animal carer (behing fo at the time) and mayor, so not having her around left a big hole in our comfort. but since a good few of the villagers came over with her, i ended up sort of running the place on my own in a short time. sadly i lost horses and most of the zoo animals, not behing fo to heal them made keeping them healthy harder, rose had a lot.. but i managed for the most, and even found a cow in the island, which went fine as one of the villagers had found bulls some time ago, so now we have cows and bulls (was one of rose's goals before she left ;) ) an other thing i did while keeping the town was train, rose had mentioned the town smith was not able to be much on with rl, so i worked for  2-3 weeks almost non stop on the forge to improve my skills and town's supply of tools so that all of our villagers could have ql 50 equipement. i managed to get chainsmithing and blacksmithing high enough to do this. and weapons to ql 40. it wasnt easy, but i'm happy to know our villagers around wandering the island's woods with nothing more than a starting short sword :P

there's a lot more stories i could think off... somesmall some big... but all would just point to one thing: Wurm is awsome and its allowing me to make fun memories and enjoying it. so if i had to ask for one present it would be for the oportunity to make more fun memories, have a lot more stories for next year, and to keep having fun with everyone (even if rose might not be able to stand me teasing her for an other year :P  )

• Like 2

Dear Santa Rolf and Team.

There always has to be a bad guy.

"The Horde of the Summoned is a Kingdom with a long rich history of war, brutality, deception, and both victories and defeats. It is often perceived as the uncivilized kingdom that is populated by savages who follow no rules or honor, only hatred. The kingdom follows only one God, Libila, who requires her followers to use terror, deception, torture, death, and sacrifices. The Horde is not a kingdom for everyone, and new players will face many struggles, hardships, accusations, and will be forced to earn the trust of others before being accepted."

"Followers of Libila are meant to be evil"

I'd still say i was good though ;)

Edited by Libertha
  • Like 2

I'm bad, and that's good; I will never be good, and that's not bad - Ralph

• Like 1

Run out of likes for today in this thread alone...

My experience with WURM community was a rather bad one and I honestly considered it the worst one I ever encountered.

Though, reading all these stories, things I would be way to selfish to do myself, I realize that it was wrong to judge the community by a few bad apples, especially considering I didn't reacted very friendly myself.

So... no, no gift for me this year. There are many more people in here deserving them more than I do.

• Like 1

I just gave a new player a full set of armor so they can tame the wilds near their new home. Also I helped a new player settle near me and even forgave him when he deeded in an area I was developing for future expansion.

Dear Santa Rolf and Team

Well what a wild ride it has been this year, I never claimed to be the good apple, but i help out where I can, The last 2 months of server crashes and issues, i saw ahead of time in my scrying orb and warned my fellow pristinians of impeding doom ensuring they used their sleep bonus and were ready for a refill. I also saved about 30 freed horses and ensured they were hooked up with responsible owners. I may have killed a few players i did not agree with, but i gave them back their bodies so that has to count for something. I offloaded  donated thousands rock shards to the little orphans of Radiance harbor so they could keep their jobs making walls for 10 iron a day, and i ever relieved some people of their unwanted affinities on epic. I may have tried to kill a gm or two but I thought i was being invaded by yellow lanterns, whats a green lantern to do but use the Avatar of Vynora to sonic boom them in self defense.  So all in all Santa rolf i hope you find i am deserving of a gift, and i will try to behave.

• Like 1

Dear Santa Rolf and Team

I recently took a vacation from my home server of Affliction and visited Serenity while there we cleaned up the country side of mean nasty animals and sent all the corpse toward a large wall to help keep the pretty land free of litter.  Shortly after a bunch of locals came to welcome myself and three friends, they were so nice that we donated 4 sets of armor, a sailboat and even some affinitys to help there gaming experience in the future.

However on the home front I have endeavored to give away many horses and meals to new players as they start there careers at deadlake....

But its hard to remember all the good deeds I have done this year as Libila urges myself and my friends to perform these deeds so frequently that one often forgets about things like butchering and eating your friends corpse...really it has been a year of many quality deeds and I hope that Santa Rolf can find it in his heart to bring me a 95QL sword of NoGump slaying (Makes you immune to Bash and Toss) for Xmas.

Sulfurblade

Lord Protector of Olive Bay

Affliction

Dear Santa Rolf and his Team of Reindeer,

as a returning player(on a different character) I know how starting out from 0 is...

That's why I helped quite a few new players with random stuff... mostly finding a tile with a water source and constructing them a well to get started ;)

Just recently a newbie ran into my local(which is rare given that i now live on a mountain).. decided to help him get started...gave him some tools and helped with his first shack to hide from mobs.. well, a day later and he was never seen again :(

Well I've never really been one to troll or flame, so I can't say that I've decreased that activity (hard to get lower than 0!) however as a mayor of a deed on Elevation, it's important to stick together with my fellow alliance members.  As PvP/raiding goes, deeds will get hit and raided and me and my deed mates have put countless hours into creating bricks and mortar to donate to those deeds in need, as well as passing along some of our best breeding horses in the great capital horse massacre of October.

I also ensure our deed keeps running out of my pocket, because I love the game and my crew! :D

I'm still young in the game, but I've learned so much! One of the most important things I've learned since I joined Wurm is the vital importance of cooperation. Without the nice people I met when I joined, I'd probably be starving to death in the middle of nowhere trying to build a 1x1 shack while being assailed by lava spiders. Since I've learned a few things, I help out whenever I can with stuff I know on in chat. I also make jewelry, rugs and sails for the people in my village, because they're just so awesome. I'm definitely looking forward to my first Wurm Christmas, and getting into the spirit of giving. I've planned special presents for my fellow villagers :) Merry Christmas to all

Sincerely,

Toolhead

Villager of Shrubbery

Release

Dear Santa Rolf and Team:

This year was my first in wurm and I must say this game is like no other, thank you so much for making wurm what it is today!

I am an Anti RPK player on serenity and this summer saved sombodys deed with my tatics of distracting the enemy BL force, special thanks to Arrowhun, Pappa and others on that day, as well as always had fun helping people anyway I can, especially with building homes for new players.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

PS. All I want for christmas is the new wood textures/shaders! :P

Whats anti-rpk

dear santa rolf and team,

it has been a long year and i have done alot of good! I have not gotten one warning in game or banned :ph34r: ! in the past year i have defeated a kingdom :wub:  and now they actually defend their server! i went to help out bashur and train the new players. and i also stood with SBM ;)

I don't really want to name everything that I have done that I believe was a good deed...so I'll just name the latest one. Yesterday I gave away a set of chain armour (some pieces 70 ql) to a new player and even sailed half way around the map to give it to them. 

There :)  ... now gimme pressies!

dear santa euuuuuuh uhhh deuuuuuh i want sthtuff cuz there aint non left to sthteal. i dun stood wit sbm but dat aint here no mo
plz give money