Sign in to follow this  
Vroomfondel

Apothecary's jar

Expanding on another suggestion today, how about an Apothecary's jar for storage and preservation of certain items.  Make it a clay jar large enough to hold 100 HCs or x.xx amount of liquid.  There is also a clay lid and a leather gasket.  Tar and wire are used to seal it.  Once filled and gasket and tar applied, it is heated to searing until sealed.  The seal preserves everything inside until the seal is broken.  The seal is broken when you open it, or once the decay of the jar hits 50%.  The jar is unrepairable or mendable.

This would give us a way to preserve not only HCs, but olive oil for compasses, maple syrup, dyes, most of the items we can't put in bsbs or fsbs now.  And since the jar decays and can't be fixed, it keeps the idea that nothing lasts forever.  You would have to remake your jars from time to time to keep your items preserved.  As a side bonus, this could give pottery a big shot in the arm as to usefulness.

• Like 8

Oh heck yes +1 - let us see what's inside but not take stuff out when it's sealed though, for trade purposes

• Like 1

Yes, I do want it.

+1

This is more worthit than my backpack in my coffin.

I'm definitely a fan of smaller bulk storage units with seals. The sealing and seal-breaking strikes a good balance against the powerful utility of long-term item storage without having to go all the way towards ridiculous measures like omni-item BSB's.

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

+1 would be helpful to have this when prepping for future hunting trips and such :)

+1

There are so many reasons this gets the +1.  Healing cover storage, more uses for pottery, pretty well balanced.

Only question I have is would priests be able to seal jars (apply the gasket and tar as `fuel') or would this be a multi-part construction?

I am not in favor of making more ways to have zero decay like presents.....less decay possibly for some things for a short time.

Edited by Protunia

+1 by far, sounds like canning, could even have super small ones that can only hold about 2 meals. but canning would be an amazing thing

I was about to suggest something like this, then I remembered that it already existed so *bumps*

Going to bump this as we have a method to preserve liquids, but not one to preserve healing covers.