Sign in to follow this  
GroeneAppel

Tempering, sharpening and polishing

Tempering (water), sharpening (whetstone) and polishing (pelt) should get their own skill.

Much like tools such as shovel, carving knife, file and such.

Isn't the idea about Wurm that there is a skill for pretty much anything? Why not those 3?

isn't it silly that you only get skillgain in 1 out of 5 tools when smithing? (Hammer)

So I think it's about time that this changes.

skills for the sole purpose of having more skills? no thank you.

• Like 4

we also need a "look at the horizon and ponder" skill, and a "Now that I finished this, whats next? " skill.

• Like 1

Make enchanted water work pls. inb4 it's a feature with deepness rivaled only by the meditation system

• Like 1

-1. As Silakka said, it's too late for that now.

Also, it's pretty pointless to add just for the sake of adding.

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

It takes a special kind of person to come up with such brilliant ideas as this. Hats off to you, good sir.

Edited by Extrusion

Then why do we have skills like hammer and shovel?

In either case, an added argument: Currently tempering seems to be much harder than for example using a hammer. I believe this was explained because the skill in hammer increases the odds in succesfully improving.

Giving tempering its own skill would make imping far more enjoyable.

Following this logic, we should have skills for rock shards, logs, strings, scissors, etc etc -- these are also used in various imping processes

As said already , adding skills just for the sake of adding more skills is a no-no in my view. Also - how would you deal with such a large skill gap between new skills and old ones ? This would only add way more 'grind' to smithing as people tried to 'catchup' to their current skill levels in other areas.

Edited by Bullbrand

Following this logic, we should have skills for rock shards, logs, strings, scissors, etc etc -- these are also used in various imping processes

As said already , adding skills just for the sake of adding more skills is a no-no in my view. Also - how would you deal with such a large skill gap between new skills and old ones ? This would only add way more 'grind' to smithing as people tried to 'catchup' to their current skill levels in other areas.

Actual materials no, scissors yes.

The current logic is complete bogus. Why the hell is there even a skill for hammer or pickaxe?

Also why would people have to "catch up"? Theres no need for that. Everyone starts fresh, and things can only get better from there.

some actions rely on the tool skill, like for example the timer for building a fence with hammer/mallet.

i wouldn't have an issue with removing some 'tool' skills like hammer, shovel, chisel, rake and pickaxe if the actions relied on the main skill or a combination of main skill and miscellaneous skill - if that would work well is another question.

• Like 2

It honestly doesn't matter enough to make this type of change.

I can see having skills for specific tools and actions, since such require a certain degree of technique and handling knowledge.

Even a simple shovel can be handled more effectively by an experienced hand. Ignoring strength and stamina.

Tempering for example from what I understand (no real firsthand knowledge) can be pretty complex. Some ancient techniques required achieving the proper thicknesses when coating with clay, theres the various qualities of different liquids, and then theres quenching fast/slow.

Sanding and polishing are much more effective following the grain of the wood (not to mention it just looks far more appealing). Changing pressure can help counter changes in the wood, whether you wish to conceal or highlight.

Thats just scratching the surface of the so-called "forgotten" skills in RL.

On the matter of it being too late to add such, I dont see that being an issue. At low levels it would still be an improvement over the older methods.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

I like this idea and think it should be expanded to all tools and here is why...

In the blacksmithing market, I have noticed a substantial difference between the improvement of a hammer vs saw vs small anvil.

Whys that?

'Cause I have well over 90 skill with my hammer - improves them fast

'Cause I have about 20ish skill with my saw - improves them moderatly fast

'Cause there is no small anvil skill - improves them painfully slow

I have heard a rumor that non-skilled tools are based off of Misc skill, and that is simply not true, because if the small anvil was based on Misc skill (of which I have 70+), it would argueably imp faster than my saw (of which I have 20ish skill).

From what I see, no skill to unlock = has 0 skill.

Make enchanted water work pls. inb4 it's a feature with deepness rivaled only by the meditation system

Technically it does work, just logical to how the real world works. In the real world, we move the metal and dunk it into the water (read: activate the item, use on water) and that is how this works in Wurm - enchants do take effect with this technique. It is just that this is backwards from what we are used to doing - activate water and use on tool.

Edited by bp1986

No more grind please -1

The grind would be lessened with this, since you would get better at things like tempering and as such have an easier time improving with those methods.

There is no need to grind those skills seperately since they go up with regular smithing. There is no window of opporunitiy either, since everyone starts at 1. Meaning neither new or old players get some kind of headstart.

From what I see, no skill to unlock = has 0 skill.

For this reason, and for the sake of logic I think we should have pelt/whetsone/tempering subs skills.

Plus, what is the logic behind having hammer skill but no the other tools skills?

some actions rely on the tool skill, like for example the timer for building a fence with hammer/mallet.

i wouldn't have an issue with removing some 'tool' skills like hammer, shovel, chisel, rake and pickaxe if the actions relied on the main skill or a combination of main skill and miscellaneous skill - if that would work well is another question.

This. Less is more.

Wouldn't the grind on smithing skills be that much longer because you have that many more ticks other than the main skill you want to grind? Maybe not idk just a thought.

Edited by Warmachine

Some ppl ask why there are hammer, shovel etc skills and my stab in the dark guess is because they can be used as weapons (albeit bad ones)

Some ppl ask why there are hammer, shovel etc skills and my stab in the dark guess is because they can be used as weapons (albeit bad ones)

Agreed, Thor seems to roll just fine with a Hammer.