Sign in to follow this  
Emporer

Wood textures for new trees

When devs, just when? its been far to long you have bridges and a crafting system coming what about the textures for the new trees that have already been added?

Its been stated before, there wont be new textures, instead, a shader system will be used, this means you only need the one texture, and you just change the shader settings per wood type, faster and less loading.

Problem is, the new lighting system which included this was tested, and was met with a fair amount of disapproval, so its back to the drawing board for implementation.

Crafting, wagons, ect is more important imo. and I'm a tree freak (that should be obvious...) but it's kind of sad to see something not done yet, but hey, they still haven't even gotten floorboards right. so cant really complain. :/

Edited by Druidnature

I bet this all will come in xmas / new year as 1.2 / 2.0 update.

Its been stated before, there wont be new textures, instead, a shader system will be used, this means you only need the one texture, and you just change the shader settings per wood type, faster and less loading.

Problem is, the new lighting system which included this was tested, and was met with a fair amount of disapproval, so its back to the drawing board for implementation.

It's still being tweaked on the test server actually.

Weird use of a shader. I look forward to seeing this...

So this is just going to end up like the last topic about this.  Instead of getting any insight of when the new "shaders" will be released all we get is a correction that its not going to be textures, it'll be shaders. :mellow:

Shader will never be the same as new textures... I guess you could have 3-4 textures and then shaders for variants. But same texture for all will be boring, will it not?

Why not some procedural textures? If you guys weren't using java I could even donate some code :P They still take up video memory, but can't you compress DXT1 and/or upload to the video card with a flag that clears the texture from PC memory? I am unfamiliar with your crazy java engine.

PLEASE don't use the GLSL Shader for lumber types / wood textures.

There are *many* of us who have computer systems that can't handle GLSL Shader Support as it is, and have to change it to Disabled in the Settings due to it messing up the Wurm Experience to a very high degree.

As a CA covering the tutorial, where new players first log in to Wurm, I can state absolutely that it's not a trivially low number of players that are having problems when GLSL Shader Support defaults to on.

Currently, those of us who have to disable it are only negatively affected by not being able to see the water surface textures. Don't make more coding in Wurm require GLSL Shader Support to be on.

Edited by Tristanc

Well all (almost) of the other trees add a different texture/coloring to the items (most) made from them, so it would be nicely consistent if the new tree types would also have their own similar effect on end products. Slightly more variety to Wurm creations being available is always a good thing. As usual, the Dev time required to implement this would be what makes this nice idea sit on the back burner.

=Ayes=

Well all (almost) of the other trees add a different texture/coloring to the items (most) made from them, so it would be nicely consistent if the new tree types would also have their own similar effect on end products. Slightly more variety to Wurm creations being available is always a good thing. As usual, the Dev time required to implement this would be what makes this nice idea sit on the back burner.

=Ayes=

I think its more work for the art team, but it would be nice if they start making things consistent.   They said they were going to use shader for it, so no new textures were going to be added.   Well, the shader idea failed, now they could make those textures, and the copper texture for chain armour,  and all the other details they leave unfinished for no aparent reason.