Sign in to follow this  
Maximusi

Christmas developer questions and answers session - December 18th 5pm GMT (6pm CET)

Session Finished! Thank you to everyone that attended. Chat logs now available, Click Here

Good Afternoon Fellow Wurmians!

It is almost Christmas and I bet most of you are excitedly counting down; whether its the joy of the festive season or a nice holiday from work, either way most of us are looking forward to it!

So in spirit of the holidays we will be hosting another Developer Q & A session to allow you the community to put questions to Rolf and the team plus have a friendly chat just before Christmas and give you a glimpse of what could be expected of next year.

As before you can ask questions live at the session but, although we try our best, we do not always get time to ask each and every question (previous session went over 2 hours!). We suggest for the best possibility of getting your questions answered is to email them into us, we can then organize them to get through as many as possible in the session.

To submit questions please e-mail them to max@wurmonline.com and Docterchese and myself will work to organize all the questions that get submitted.

When, Where and How?

The meeting will be located in the #wurm channel on the Rizon IRC network like previous times with the channel #wurmqa being used for player chat and questions. If you do not know how to go about getting joining this channel please see instructions below. The meeting will start at 17:00 GMT (18:00 CET) on Wednesday 18th December 2013.

Joining the Meeting from in-game:
1: While in game press F1 (or the console key bind if you have changed it - Also accessible via the ESC menu)
2: In the console type IRC and hit enter (this will open two new chat tabs 'Server' and '#wurm' do not close either of these
3: Close the console window and click on the #wurm tab
4: Type: /join #wurmqa

You are now in the meeting.

Joining the Meeting from web-chat:

1: Open the following link: http://chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.rizon.net&channel=%23wurm,%23wurmqa
2: If you wish chose a nickname (you can enter your game name if not already in use)
3: Click on "GO" - After this step please be patient it can take a minute.
4: After a few moments you should be presented with a chat window. To the right you can see everyone in the room, in the middle the chat and at the bottom a box you can enter a chat message in. Above the chat you should see some tabs, Please ignore Home and Rizon but the two of importance are #wurm which will be the developers area to talk and the #wurmqa which is where players can talk and put new questions in.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Maximusi

P.S Thanks to NESGamepro for creating the custom timer :-)

Edited by maximusi
corrected year
  • Like 9

Forgot you were a PR Assistant, but hey, this is cool, but a suggestion.

'December 18Th' should be December 18th, it looks better on the eyes, and 5Pm Should be 5pm, also better on the eyes...

okay what im saying is. Do Not Caps After The End Of Every Word, it just doesn't look professional or natural enough. D:

But yay, christmas chat :D

I completely agree with you and when I posted I was horrified at it so went back to what I prepared and pasted in and it looked correct, edited the forum post and it appeared correct there so not sure whats going on there.

If you ever made a thread, u will understand why Every Word Is Like This.

on topic.

hope we get more clarification on wurm's future and if prices will ever be going down

+ are we going to get more new content to the wurm online shop :)

Edited by silakka

The forum auto capitalises the first letter of every word on topics. Annoying much.

• Like 1

Forgot you were a PR Assistant, but hey, this is cool, but a suggestion. 'December 18Th' should be December 18th, it looks better on the eyes, and 5Pm Should be 5pm, also better on the eyes... okay what im saying is. Do Not Caps After The End Of Every Word, it just doesn't look professional or natural enough. D:  But yay, christmas chat :D

Wow who cares?

Good job guys, I always love reading/attending these Q&A's cuz it means we can pick Rolfs brain and see what is actually being done! :D

I hope that some chaos/pvp questions are thrown in, such as the no responses to the popular poll thread "why can't kings change their titles" and the suggestion to change the champing system on chaos.

I will certainly aim to be there! Great job PR team :)

The Q&As are always very successful and popular. Don't worry if you can't attend though - we'll post logs of the Q&A once it's finished for those of you who can't make the time. :)

• Like 3

Don't worry if you can't attend though - we'll post logs of the Q&A once it's finished for those of you who can't make the time. :)

Yes, I much prefer reading the logs to attending, so I can take my time pondering over all the content. Looking forward to seeing what the game Dev's have in store, as all these recent additions to the game mentioned within the Week Updates have been very impressive with much to look forward to.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Wow who cares?

Good job guys, I always love reading/attending these Q&A's cuz it means we can pick Rolfs brain and see what is actually being done! :D

I hope that some chaos/pvp questions are thrown in, such as the no responses to the popular poll thread "why can't kings change their titles" and the suggestion to change the champing system on chaos.

I will certainly aim to be there! Great job PR team :)

Why are you so randomly aggressive towards a kindly worded post, It's a pinned thread, it already has a ton of attention in general for it being on the top of the forum. :P (He didn't NEED to do it.)

--

I wish I could come see the beautiful Q&A, but due to being an American, I pretty much get shunned out time wise. :(

:P I just hope we get to see our present before it even comes out ;_;

Forgot you were a PR Assistant, but hey, this is cool, but a suggestion.

'December 18Th' should be December 18th, it looks better on the eyes, and 5Pm Should be 5pm, also better on the eyes...

okay what im saying is. Do Not Caps After The End Of Every Word, it just doesn't look professional or natural enough. D:

But yay, christmas chat :D

Less talking about how to use English correctly and more practice for you please.

Also, this will be cool I may just wait for the chat logs to be posted though.

Am I the only one who cant go back into time to be at this meeting? Wednesday 18th December 2012. ;)

Small convenience but perhaps the auction timer could be used to tell when this session will start?

Gud'day maximusi and fellow wurmians,

Confusion Clearing Pre Note:
GMT (Grenwich Mean Time) versus UTC (Universal Time Coordinate).
Both abbreviations mean the same thing! :)

GMT is the old name and UTC is the new name, that was put into use as it translates its meaning easier into many languages without confusion.

So UTC is the current "in use name" for what used to be called GMT.  Just ask any RL aircraft pilot or sea going marineer. :ph34r:

on topic...
Originally Maximuci said:
"The meeting will start at 17:00 GMT (18:00 CET) on Wednesday 18th December 2013."

For the benefit of those not so familiar with tranlating the 24 UTC hour clock into local time, and those who use AM-PM rather then a 24 hour clock...

DST = Daylight Saving Time or Summer Time

19th December 2013
07:00 (7:00am) - Samoa (UTC+13)
06:00 (6:00am) - New Zealand (DST), Fiji
04:00 (5:00am) - Melbourne, Sydney (DST)
03:30 (4:30am) - Adelaide (DST)
03:00 (4:00am) - Brisbane (QLD not on DST)
02:30 (3:30am) - Darwin (NT not on DST)
02:00 (3:00am) - Perth (DST), Japan, Taipei
01:00 (1:00am) - Malaysia, Hong Kong, Bejing, Singapore

18th December 2013
22:30 (10:30pm) - New Delhi, Mumbai
21:00 (9:00pm) - Afghanistan, Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Moscow,
20:00 (9:00pm)  - Iraq, Kuwait, Kenya,
19:00 (8:00pm)  - South Africa (DST), Israel, Finland, Eastern Europe
18:00 (6:00pm)  - CET = Central European Time

17:00 (5:00pm)  - GMT = UTC, United Kingdom, Iceland, Portugal

16:00 (4:00pm)  - Azores
15:00 (3:00pm   - Brazil
14:00 (2:00pm)  - Greenland, Argentina (DST), Chile
13:30 (1:30pm)  - Newfoundland
13:00 (1:00pm)  - Atlantic Std Time - North America, La Paz, Georgetown,
12:00 (12:00pm)  - Eastern Std Time - North America
11:00 (11:00am) - Central Std Time - North America, Central America
10:00 (10:00am) - Mountain Std Time - North America
09:00 (9:00am) - Pacific Std Time - North America
08:00 (8:00am)  - Alaska
07:00 (7:00am)  - Hawaii

My humblest apologies if I missed anyone's time zone.  I tried my best to cover the places where I have noted Wurmian's are logging on from.

The above times were calculated using a Windows App called AGS Digital Multi-Clock.

original website with info is at....
http://7thspace.com/sidebar_gadgets/465524/ags_digital_multi_clock.html

now available for downloadn since 2012-05-30 from ...
http://gallery-live.com/sidebar-gadgets/AGS%20Digital%20Multi-Clock

Enjoy and hope the above is of some assistance to you all.

Kindest regards!  Hughmongus

PS: Maximusi if you wish to copy and past this info into your announcement at the top of the topic, you has my permission to do so.

PPS:  Apologies for being an hour out on the initial computation, I was half asleep when I made this.  Cheers!

Edited by HughMongus
  • Like 1

Thank you Hughmongus for translations into different timezones thats very helpful to our playerbase of different countries however I do need to point out a small problem :-p

UTC isn't something that is replacing GMT they are different and GMT is still very commonly used. GMT is Greenwich Mean Time which is kept by Greenwich Meridian (longitude zero) where as UTC is Coordinated Universal Time which is broadcasted around the world in a syncronised matter between the time centers and the precision is fractions of a setting.

Technically they are different even though the terms are interchanged and are essentially the same time.

Just to be nick picky :-)

Gud'day maximusi and fellow wurmians,

Confusion Clearing Pre Note:

GMT (Grenwich Mean Time) versus UTC (Universal Time Coordinate).

Both abbreviations mean the same thing! :)

GMT is the old name and UTC is the new name, that was put into use as it translates its meaning easier into many languages without confusion.

So UTC is the current "in use name" for what used to be called GMT.  Just ask any RL aircraft pilot or sea going marineer. :ph34r:

on topic...

Originally Maximuci said:

"The meeting will start at 17:00 GMT (18:00 CET) on Wednesday 18th December 2013."

For the benefit of those not so familiar with tranlating the 24 UTC hour clock into local time, and those who use AM-PM rather then a 24 hour clock...

DST = Daylight Saving Time or Summer Time

19th December 2013

08:00 (8:00am) - Samoa (UTC+13)

07:00 (7:00am) - New Zealand (DST), Fiji

05:00 (5:00am) - Melbourne, Sydney (DST)

04:30 (4:30am) - Adelaide (DST)

04:00 (4:00am) - Brisbane (QLD not on DST)

03:30 (3:30am) - Darwin (NT not on DST)

03:00 (3:00am) - Perth (DST), Japan, Taipei

02:00 (2:00am) - Malaysia, Hong Kong, Bejing, Singapore

18th December 2013

23:30 (11:30pm) - New Delhi, Mumbai

22:00 (10:00pm) - Afghanistan, Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Moscow,

21:00 (9:00pm)  - Iraq, Kuwait, Kenya,

20:00 (8:00pm)  - South Africa (DST), Israel, Finland, Eastern Europe

19:00 (7:00pm)  - CET = Central European Time

18:00 (6:00pm)  - GMT = UTC, United Kingdom, Iceland, Portugal

17:00 (5:00pm)  - Azores

16:00 (4:00pm   - Brazil

15:00 (3:00pm)  - Greenland, Argentina (DST), Chile

14:30 (2:30pm)  - Newfoundland

14:00 (2:00pm)  - Atlantic Std Time - North America, La Paz, Georgetown,

13:00 (1:00pm)  - Eastern Std Time - North America

12:00 (12:00pm) - Central Std Time - North America, Central America

11:00 (11:00am) - Mountain Std Time - North America

10:00 (10:00am) - Pacific Std Time - North America

09:00 (9:00am)  - Alaska

08:00 (8:00am)  - Hawaii

My humblest apologies if I missed anyone's time zone.  I tried my best to cover the places where I have noted Wurmian's are logging on from.

The above times were calculated using a Windows App called AGS Digital Multi-Clock.

original website with info is at....

http://7thspace.com/sidebar_gadgets/465524/ags_digital_multi_clock.html

now available for downloadn since 2012-05-30 from ...

http://gallery-live.com/sidebar-gadgets/AGS%20Digital%20Multi-Clock

Enjoy and hope the above is of some assistance to you all.

Kindest regards!  Hughmongus

PS: Maximusi if you wish to copy and past this info into your announcement at the top of the topic, you has my permission to do so.

Kind of curious how you translated the original 18:00 CET to 19:00 CET in your list? I think something is off a touch in your conversion process.

Actually yes its all wrong becaues its happening at 5pm GMT/UTC you have 6pm in your list.

Actually yes its all wrong becaues its happening at 5pm GMT/UTC you have 6pm in your list.

It's called being half asleep when you do something. :rolleyes:   It should look better now. :ph34r:

Cheers!  Hugh

UTC isn't something that is replacing GMT they are different and GMT is still very commonly used. GMT is Greenwich Mean Time which is kept by Greenwich Meridian (longitude zero) where as UTC is Coordinated Universal Time which is broadcasted around the world in a syncronised matter between the time centers and the precision is fractions of a setting.

Technically they are different even though the terms are interchanged and are essentially the same time.

Just to be nick picky :-)

From Wikipedia ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

"Coordinated Universal Time is the primary time standard by which the world regulates clocks and time.
It is one of several closely related successors to Greenwich Mean Time.
For most purposes, UTC is synonymous with GMT, but GMT is no longer precisely defined by the scientific community."

"The UTC was officially formalized in 1963 by the International Radio Consultative Committee in Recommendation 374,[1] having been initiated by several national time laboratories."

So... GMT is the Old name as UTC became it's successor in 1963.
Also in many parts of the world if you say GMT, ppl will give you odd looks.

So I use UTC so we are all speaking the same language.  But the old GMT does have a nice ring to it.

Cheers! Hugh

I have never heard of UTC, I still hear and use GMT. And Wikipedia can easily be wrong too, best to use it as a reference to search up on other sources gained from it.

So this is in what three hours from now?

Edit: I guess i am a day early seen the op has a timer now. :)

Edited by Kegan

It's going on now. I'd ask that a staffer post the transcript of the IRC Q&A here on the forums after it's complete so that those of us who don't generally use IRC can have a read of what was asked and answered. Thanks.