Sign in to follow this  
Valdor

Animal Sounds

POST SYNOPSIS: I am suggesting we add sounds to the animals in game. Animal combat sounds, as well as random calls, barks, hisses and snarls when an animal is roaming nearby would enhance the game greatly.

Hello.

I love music. Absolutely love it. I have always been quite impressed with the sountrack of the first Wurm album and can't get enough of it in game. Eagerly, I spent the last two days listening to the new soundtrack. The pieces are beautiful (hat off to the composer), although personally - with the exception of one acousitc guitar piece - I am not entirely sure they feel right for this game. I suppose it's all matter of taste, but I am having some trouble reconciling the beauty of Wurm with an ambient electronic piece :) Still, I can see the musical direction that the developers want to take in this game and I think it will definitely set Wurm further apart from other games as a work of art. While exploring these ideas in my head (I do a lot of exploration in my head ;p), it occurred to me that what may be a good suggestion is to add more animal noises to the game.

Right now, all the animals are silent, except for when they get hit in combat. In reality, however, animals make noises and having that in game may bring more realism to the otherwise amazing world. Yes, there are some animal sounds in the ambient score for the game, like wolf howls, but that's part of the ambiance. How cool would it be, however, to hear a snarl of a mountain lion in the near distance as you are chopping wood? A roar of the bear in the distance? Or the mating call of a bison off in the woods, as you are passing by?

When should these sounds be used? How about in two instances. First would be random sounds off animals nearby (except spiders, as I believe those are the real silent killers). Second would be the combat sounds the animals would make when engaged in combat. Most animals snarl and make a lot of threatening sounds to make themselves more ferocious, when in battle.

When should they not be used? Since most predators stalk silently, animals should make no noise (other than footprints) when they decided to attack you. That's the way it is right now. There would be exceptions to that, of course, as some animals make noise when charging (like bears, for instance).

Now, I know there are a lot of beautiful ambient sounds in the game already. We all love them. There is the rustling of the trees, the murmur of the wind, the creaking of wood in a forest, the crickets at night, the claustrophobic sounds of a mine... all great stuff! I am in no way suggesting that those should be altered. Just let the animals speak too. Not sure how complex this would be to implement, but hey, I figure we have a suggestion board, so I can at least throw this here to see if it catches :)

Thanks for reading!

Rawr!

Edited by Valdor
  • Like 1

It is a nice suggestion for wild animals, horses, cows, bulls, bisons, chickens/hens/roosters, and I dont know what I am missing.   They shouldnt make sounds, imagine how annoying it would be in a farm, where big groups of animals gathered.    In my case, it would probably make me turn off the sound completely.

I agree with both of you I would like my dogs to bark a moo from time to time but I raise dogs cows buffalo deer and horses. So I life on my farm would be noisy if al at once. I also head ducks from time to time on my docks and we don't habe ducks . Maby with grooming and feeding would be a god medium? Ps left out I raise pigs to

I would like to bring this topic back up for suggestion. I would love to hear all different sounds coming from all of the animals not just a generic sound based upon what tile type I am standing on. I understand there are those who do not want this so add a mute animal sounds option or something. Were animals sounds not a part of the game in the past? Why were they removed? Is it a server overhead thing? 

I'm all for adding animal sounds as long as we can also add animals to match the sounds we already have. I'm talking about the mythical ducks that quack, but don't actually exist. Add ducks along with the new sounds!

Totally agree, more sounds would make the game more immersive