Sign in to follow this  
Umbranik

Unique Resources -- Economy Stimulation

One of my biggest problems with Wurm is: there is absolutely no economy whatsoever.  The biggest perk of the game is that you can be anything and do anything.  But nothing really sells, because everyone can make it.  So, I suggest introducing resources that are unique to a certain server.  For example, Adamantium veins on Deliverance, Dragon Scales (only an example) on Exodus, etc, etc.  

People would either have to travel servers to mine it themselves, if they could find a mine that hasn't been claimed, or would have to buy from someone who owns a deeded mine area, etc.  I don't think existing ores should be taken off servers, but maybe add some.

It won't work.

Rolf added regional veins to the new servers (Deli and after) and it hasn't worked. People just have off deed mines scattered all over the server, instead of trading for it....

i think that would only lead to people moving to the other servers searching for the "rare" ore and place a deed over it. and then it is no longer rare.

it will just be mining deed in all of the servers 

• Like 1

Nah he should introduce mastery instead. (This should have been done from day one though).

Mastery would work like this. Cap Premium skills at 80, once you hit 80 you get an option to become a master in this skill. You can now get this to 100. Limit masteries to 2-4 per char. 

Could make it so everyone can get a rare chance, but supreme and fantastic will only be a chance for masters. 

• Like 4

Why the need for a forced economy in a sandbox MMO game?

• Like 4

One of my biggest problems with Wurm is: there is absolutely no economy whatsoever.  The biggest perk of the game is that you can be anything and do anything.  But nothing really sells, because everyone can make it.  So, I suggest introducing resources that are unique to a certain server.  For example, Adamantium veins on Deliverance, Dragon Scales (only an example) on Exodus, etc, etc.  

People would either have to travel servers to mine it themselves, if they could find a mine that hasn't been claimed, or would have to buy from someone who owns a deeded mine area, etc.  I don't think existing ores should be taken off servers, but maybe add some.

Adamantium Veins? No, they are rare metals that is only useful for PvP and can only obtain on PvP server and they should stay that way. Dragon scales? No, not everyone should be running around in a scale. 

Nah he should introduce mastery instead. (This should have been done from day one though).

Mastery would work like this. Cap Premium skills at 80, once you hit 80 you get an option to become a master in this skill. You can now get this to 100. Limit masteries to 2-4 per char. 

Could make it so everyone can get a rare chance, but supreme and fantastic will only be a chance for masters. 

I love this idea, although maybe with an even lower cap, as 80quality items are still very effective.

I wouldn't call it a forced economy with this sort of system. As for the idea of different servers having different resources...instead of them being tiles or ores, maybe instead make them something that spawns or is farmable. Such as, creating lore that some islands are warmer/colder than the others and as such, certain animals and crops only grow/live on certain islands. Now, I'm not suggesting cotton/wemp to only be growable on certain islands, as they are far too necessary for that. Instead, introduce new crops and animals that have useful properties but aren't essential. This would encourage movement of resources between servers, without making it necessary. More of a, increased standard of living if you wish to put in the extra work. (Like...uhhh...bananas only grow on Celebration. When they are used in cooking, they provide a 5% increase in skillgain. This would benefit people looking to get the most skill they can, without taking too much away from everyone else. That was only an example I came up with very quickly, so please take that as such)

Edited by Pescadera
  • Like 1

When they added house flooring that was more annoying to make for "better looks" I just settled for the easiest least time consuming version. If they were to do this with crops, vein types etc I'd just settle for what I had at hand. If it'd mean I'd have to trade to get the desired lump material everytime I needed to improve my own tools despite having both the required mining and blacksmithing skill I'd just use something else that was closer at hand.

if this gets added, I'm going to a new game again. things shouldn't be limited for ANY reason. its a SANDBOX. the fatigue is already terrible enough for limiting.  it makes it so people that are willing to, or just want to, spend a ton of time getting things unable to, I say it's to keep hardcore players closer to casuals, well no offense, but if someone is going to work 100x harder then you, they should be earning more then you also. there are better ways to help casuals, just don't screw over the dedicated that are trying to have their own fun.

if this happens, you should also be limited to 1000 actions per day, that way resources are rarer yet, and you have to choose wisely.

As for the resources being unique to a server, that would cause huge problems, and not solve the economy issue (though we DO have a economy, you just have to learn it) main problem would be mini deeds/buildings everywhere from every player, making it so players like us can't get huge 80x80 deeds (which I still can't room for one atm anyway)

Edited by Druidnature

if this gets added, I'm going to a new game again. things shouldn't be limited for ANY reason. its a SANDBOX. the fatigue is already terrible enough for limiting.  it makes it so people that are willing to, or just want to, spend a ton of time getting things unable to, I say it's to keep hardcore players closer to casuals, well no offense, but if someone is going to work 100x harder then you, they should be earning more then you also. there are better ways to help casuals, just don't screw over the dedicated that are trying to have their own fun.

if this happens, you should also be limited to 1000 actions per day, that way resources are rarer yet, and you have to choose wisely.

As for the resources being unique to a server, that would cause huge problems, and not solve the economy issue (though we DO have a economy, you just have to learn it) main problem would be mini deeds/buildings everywhere from every player, making it so players like us can't get huge 80x80 deeds (which I still can't room for one atm anyway)

I've played for 3-4 years now, and i haven't had issue with fatigue.. 

I get what you mean with limitations, but if this had been there from the get go, most likely you wouldn't consider it a limitation. Just a way for more immersion. Yes there is a market, but as the game gets older we'll theoretically end up with every player being able to do everything. 

The mastery could open up for more trading, make an incentive to come together in larger community/deeds. But yeah i knew the old players wouldn't think this was a good idea ;)

I've played for 3-4 years now, and i haven't had issue with fatigue.. 

I get what you mean with limitations, but if this had been there from the get go, most likely you wouldn't consider it a limitation. Just a way for more immersion. Yes there is a market, but as the game gets older we'll theoretically end up with every player being able to do everything. 

The mastery could open up for more trading, make an incentive to come together in larger community/deeds. But yeah i knew the old players wouldn't think this was a good idea ;)

being honest: I wouldn't have even tried wurm.  - if I knew about fatigue I most likely wouldn't have, now I don't "mind" fatigue, but I do hit it. - hit it 3 times last week alone. :/

Luckly, overall I don't hit it often though, but being limited skill wise like that? No, now I would agree if maybe after having so many skills that high, it got harder for others......but making it impossible to get higher, Not my type of game.

being honest: I wouldn't have even tried wurm.  - if I knew about fatigue I most likely wouldn't have, now I don't "mind" fatigue, but I do hit it. - hit it 3 times last week alone. :/

Luckly, overall I don't hit it often though, but being limited skill wise like that? No, now I would agree if maybe after having so many skills that high, it got harder for others......but making it impossible to get higher, Not my type of game.

Fair enough.. I like the trading part of the game, and lately it's become harder and harder. And anything that gives an increased incentive for trading more is welcome in my book. :) 

Trading on Freedom took a hit because who the ###### wants to pay 60% more for silver when you also gotta pouch out 60% extra for your premium

Depends how you look at it, Trading is hurt (this is completely from my view of things, and could be completely wrong) by not being able to transport easily, depending on the goods.

for example, I'll use my current issue.  I have 4k dirt, but I live near the middle-west side of Deli, To deliver this to someone on or off server would be a huge pain, hour and a half alone just to get that dirt to a boat, or to another deed at the very least. 

Another one is boats, A lot of people, or maybe not as many as I believe, don't like sailing. It's very slow, and a drastic waste of time. the only upside - it's "realism" personally, I'd rather have it easier, but it seems to be 50/50 here with arguements.

Large carts need more room or something, boats need to go faster, or a completely better "fix" for this just to make it easier to deliver would be wonderful imo.

Then we also have the regular market - This being tools/enchants, armour, weapons.  you have people losing out now and only the massive-skilled players making it here. Who ever has a top-account with a priest, or if there like me, 2 top accounts and 3 priest, is going to be dominating the market if they so choose. because they can crap out anything they wish to sell. this kills off most plain crafters because who wants a 80ql sickle when someone can sell you a 80ql sickle with 80 CoC and Woa on it?

Sadly, people that either took a ton of time to earn there skills, or in my case Buy the characters with them, are going to be making decent money, while the rest get the tid-bits they can find. =/

I do wish there a medium, I think players that earn have high skills by earning/buying/wtv should be able to make more, but they shouldn't be the only ones making money. would be nice to see some way to give the players with only 1 char and some decent skills a way to make more money then they can currently.

I just don't see the resources itself being the problem, picture whats going to happen if each server had different resources.....you're gonna have everyone either going to the server with the most overpowerd resource, or your going to have mini-deeds/buildings everywhere on every server to have there private resources there...Thus killing room for players to build stuff that actually deserves to be built. - I can only think of what other issues this would cause.

-1 to anything that will limit my ability to raise skills on my character.. At any levels. You wouldn't be forcing trade. You'd be forcing Alts.

Then we also have the regular market - This being tools/enchants, armour, weapons.  you have people losing out now and only the massive-skilled players making it here. Who ever has a top-account with a priest, or if there like me, 2 top accounts and 3 priest, is going to be dominating the market if they so choose. because they can crap out anything they wish to sell. this kills off most plain crafters because who wants a 80ql sickle when someone can sell you a 80ql sickle with 80 CoC and Woa on it?

This part here would be somewhat countered by the mastery option.

But i do agree on the whole bulk delivery bit. (here's hoping the crates and load and drag/drop features will help that somewhat)

This part here would be somewhat countered by the mastery option.

Priest accounts are already ultra specialized account, your masterstroke "let limit two skills over 80 per account" solution won't stop the current armies of 90+ channelling/100 hfc priests from dominating the market.

Edited by Serpentarius

If this get implemented, I'm back to Eve Online, where there is a real economy by the way.

They destroyed any chance of economic prosperity when they started charging a fortune for silver coins in the shop. Just wait for the gold sellers to run out. its going to be rather amusing then.
I don't know how they thought it was a good idea for the game. Basic economic theory should of been enough for them to see the troubles in their amazing ideas to profit off silver so much.
It could work but without a re-balancing system to pay decent money back from all the upkeep's and IG prem buying etc to players it will slowly shrink the  amount of silver players own.

Not a bad idea at all.

Edited by AlexLong

One of my biggest problems with Wurm is: there is absolutely no economy whatsoever.

Really? 

*Looks in the Market section*

Yep, sure is empty.

Yes, as Wurmians we can all build our own basic tools, find all the resources we may need in a short to medium distance from wherever we may settle, and raise our own little farmstead with little trouble.

And then every two-bit wannabe "merchant" makes thousands of common items and tries to sell them on an already saturated market with hopes of making their monthly premium every month from sales alone.

We already have unique resources, their called "time" and "labour" that not everyone can provide and ownership of them changes daily.

Digging

Surface mining

Pan loading

Imping

Enchanting

Delivery

These are things that others will gladly pay for.

There is no need to introduce artificial 'economics' into Wurm.

We can't blame "The Economy" when people lack any sense of foresight and planning and just 'do' stuff that's convenient for them to do and expect to be payed for it.

• Like 2

So, with over 100 skills in wurm, you want to limit players to being able to skill up 2-4% of them to a good level? What a joke, you lose half of that by being any type of smith, and being able to mine your own ores

In my opinion the main reason there isn't much of an economy in this game is because it's a pain in the ass to conduct transactions; you either need to venture to a marketplace where 75% of the merchants don't have anything on them, or you can choose to buy from the forums; where you need to find someone selling what you want and order from them; wait a day maybe more and finally you have the item in your mailbox. Oh, unless it's one of the many items that you can't mail ;)

The 50 item cap on merchants is a huge limiter too; 50 items might sound like alot but if for example you are selling armor that is only 5 sets of armor.

Now on the other hand let's say you could hypothetically walk up to a trader or merchant and hit 'marketplace' and have a popup interface similar to a trader with various categories like 'resources' 'tools' and you could find the exact item that you want; and buy however many of them you like (provided someone is willing to sell it)

We have people on the forums who say 'I'll make bricks for you' but in many cases for that to work you need to get them to your location, get various deed permissions sorted; or maybe you need to wait for them to sail to you... How awesome would it be if one day you could randomly decide to build a huge castle and instantly purchase 10,000 mortar and bricks from a trader from some dude on another server and be building a couple of minutes later. (for this to work effectively you should be able to link a trader/merchant to a BSB/FSB and have bulk mats/veggies you purchase deposited in the BSB/FSB)

If Rolf wants to bring in more revenue from selling silver he needs to encourage people to purchase things. If I could do as suggested above I'd be buying heaps of farmed goods, gems, mortar, bricks etc.

Edited by Gavin
  • Like 1

(for this to work effectively you should be able to link a trader/merchant to a BSB/FSB and have bulk mats/veggies you purchase deposited in the BSB/FSB)

I saw someone once using a clever workaround to get just that. Selling keys to a BSB on their merchant.

Naturally there are trust issues with that, they could be selling you an empty BSB and you'll only find out when you have the key, but I'm sure well known players could pull it off.