Sign in to follow this  
Saroman

The Crate Of Holding

Even if they did have room for one animal and were be able to moved across servers ( I know this is a long jump.. ) that would open up a lot more animal trade ( like high traited horses etc etc) between servers like Elevation and Desertion and so on.

Ah so we can put 100 large crates. On a Knarr filled with 300dirt = 30000 dirt . Lol love it cus I need about that much dirt. 8 full Knarr trips I made moving from deli. To cele server in oct . Avg 6 hrs sailing north and 3-4 hrs back. Would have waited if I knew these crates. We're coming lol

Well it looks like regular carpentry would make the most sense.

Then it's only a matter of skill balance, at what skill should it be possible to make them.

Since we want them to start replacing rafts for bulk transports it would make sense to let players make the small one very early on, the large crate how ever will be made a bit harder.

Not because it's that much harder to make a large crate compared to a small one, but rather because it can fit more items and can thus be better, and of course it's fun fore those with higher skills to have a perk.

Can we get a new use for rafts? Like for the people with hundreds of them on ships... Other than that, nice addition, good to see that it came from a suggestion, too bad this has been kind of being suggested for years in some form or another. Well at least you guys are paying attention.

Anyhow, i don't like the idea of animal transportation inside boats, simply because it would mess with the damn animal caps too much, i guess... And i think we had enough grief about those.

Why not add a Temporary Raft bridge thing. Like get several Rafts, tie them up with a mooring rope/or anchor (activate rope/anchor-> Create raft bridge), then each bridge tile would use a Raft and a cordage to add. Should be a good alternative for temporary bridges, when done one could just unmoor the bridge and the whole thing would fall apart (cordages used would be lost though).

• Like 1

Can we get a new use for rafts? Like for the people with hundreds of them on ships

well the crates act like bsbs so for bulk things they will replace rafts but for the people who store items in them or need to transport a large number of non-bsb items they still have use

Edited by Deth666

well the crates act like bsbs so for bulk things they will replace rafts but for the people who store items in them or need to transport a large number of non-bsb items they still have use

You might be right, although i really can't think of anything that doesn't go into BSB that you'd want rafts to carry (as in carrying over 100). Still i guess there could be such items -maybe like support beams.

Anyhow, maybe defer this to the tweak phase after it hits test xp.

Limiting crate capacity by item count is a mistake. Perhaps its too late to change it. Although,it should be based on volume like bsb. The crates will be great for large volume items like: dirt, shards, bricks, cotton. They won't be good for small items like: most crops, nails, lumps.  There will definitely be a tipping point where using crates are actually disadvantageous.

Using item count also violates a long standing Wurm mechanic. What fits in a container is a relationship between its internal volume (also all containers are rigid and consume this same volume)  and how much volume an item takes up.

It just seem wierd to me that Dev's didn't copy bulk storage mechanic but reduce the size of the container. It would be nice if we could also remove some of the restrictions with bulk bins like empties will fit in other containers, load bsb onto vessels assuming the vessel has enough free volume (they wouldn't fit in a large cart, would fit in big ships and likely wagon).

In 2 days crates are coming , are there somewhere real and secured informations about them ?

Rafts was never intended to be used in the way it is now, it was however not changed due to it needed something to replace it or things would just be more of a hassle.

Rafts would be a lot more useful if they were seaborne towable.

• Like 1

I am wondering how many small crates and how many large crates will fit within a large cart? Also what will be the required materials to create each of these items? Checked the online Wiki and has no information about them.

=Ayes=

..and into a knarr also, but it seems its easier to wait until the patch is out and simply try it out, then trying to get real, bundled informations here. How many crates get into a knarr, large and small ones, and with how many things they can be filled.

Large cart, 5 small crates or 3 large crates.
Wagon, 16 small crates or 9 large crates.
Cog, 51 small crates or 29 large crates.
Knarr, 75 small crates or 43 large crates.
Corbita, 85 small crates or 49 large crates.
Caravel, 100 small crates or 62 large crates.

Small crates 150 items, Large crates 300 items.

• Like 9

How many backpacks will fit in a large crate? :)

None, the crates makes use of the bulk storage system, so only items that can be placed inside of a bsb or fsb can be placed inside of them.

"Rafts would be a lot more useful if they were seaborne towable."

Before Golden Valley, we were drag rafts with small amount of stamina decrease and can swim by not using stamina at all.

None, the crates makes use of the bulk storage system, so only items that can be placed inside of a bsb or fsb can be placed inside of them.

So bulk items only.

Rafts will still be available to use as now? (if not I foresee much wailing and gnashing of teeth)

Yes you can still use rafts if you want to, nothing has changed with rafts.

My only hope is that our rather long testing period has weeded out all or at least most of the severe/critical bugs so that the update will be smooth now. 
The nerves are starting to kick in now, have a feeling I will not do much sleeping tonight.

My only hope is that our rather long testing period has weeded out all or at least most of the severe/critical bugs so that the update will be smooth now. 

The nerves are starting to kick in now, have a feeling I will not do much sleeping tonight.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Does this statement mean that small and large crates will prevent decay on the same basis that those bins do? As for rafts, I see mine taking their RIP in trash bins after I get some crates built to take their place. Then again it may be a good idea just to dump them somewhere on deed to see if there might be some future enhancement made to them to make them of some further use, otherwise these crates will surely be a much superior option to them.

=Ayes=