Sign in to follow this  
Zapacila

Anyone Interested Of A True Pioneering Experience?

Hello folks,

I have to admit. Ever since I start playing WURM I kinda hated the veteran, hardcore players.

But the problem was that I didn't know why. For a while I thought it is because of my competitive spirit (typical to any gamer, isn't it? :P) and for the fact that I knew that I could never close the gap between me - the new, casual player, and them - the old, hardcore playing veterans.

But this morning I realized it was not that. It was just envy. And not envy for what they have now, but envy for what they had when they started:

The chance to actually have a sense of progression through game - they were forced to start with wild horses, low quality armours and weapons, then they had the chance to celebrate the first one speeder, the first two speeder, and so on / the first time they managed to upgrade their armours and weapons to 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 quality, the first time they were able to kill a mountain lion, a spider, a troll, the moment when they were able to build their first boat or their first ship. And, even more, the chance to actually have to do that in a community of people being in the same position, in a community of people that actually had to learn to work together in order to succeed.

Instead, nowadays, almost every new player just buys 70+ ql tools, armour and weapons, eventually also with some nice enchants, 5 speed horses, at least a corbita and then just start grinding skills, not because they really need them (because let's be honest, it will be years 'till they will be able to replace those bought things with better, self crafted items). And yeah, that helps them close the gap with the old players, and "level up" faster. But in my vision it kills an important part of the fun - the part where you actually feel that you're progressing.

Truth is that I always played my game without any of these shortcuts - I never bought any items (nor accepted any items as gifts) and I only used what ever I was able to craft with my (character's) own hands. And it was OK, I enjoyed every day of it and I saw my efforts showing better results (not just numbers in the skill tab) day after day.

However, what I really missed was the idea of a community - mind liked people, who would also enjoy to enjoy a true pioneering experience and play the game "hard mode", without buying any fancy stuff from seasoned veterans, and just try to be self sufficient and get the job done with whatever we could produce in our small community.

So now I am wondering if there are any other people (relative new - let's say less than 30 days played /time, and quite casual) out there who would like to join me in this challenge of having our own pioneering experience and enjoy by ourselves what the veterans enjoyed when Wild / Inde / Pristine were first introduced - start from scratches and end up doing great things, without any "external" help.

So... anyone up for joining me on this journey?

Note: A few more things about the dream I have. :)

• Like 1

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by sunsvortex, November 29, 2013 - Derail /troll
Hidden by sunsvortex, November 29, 2013 - Derail /troll

i have to say that i liked you when u first played on,but now everytime i see one of your topics i just wonder how you are going to profit from it.

and please stop pretending you are a casual player, nobody its buying it.

I also thought id never get even close with the gap between me and old players.

But then I worked hard to become wealthy and one of the top terraformers ;P

You are asking too much for a ~8year old game.

Experience like that can only be dreamed about now. I do wish I started many years ago, but nothing I can do with it.

I just adapted to the current situation and started building from that.

Also pristine&release did offer a new chance.

When you were in cele, you just closed your eyes from the truth that people could offer you very good tools for a very reasonable price.

iirc you did have a +10s upkeep deed and a trader in it, but didnt want to use +50ql tools haha.

Making many of these threads per week, makes you seem like you are unhappy and want to change everything.

But I see that isnt true.

In some other games forums get +50threads a day, so your threads wouldnt stand out so much as they do here.

Here they get a lot more attention, so opinions get stronger too.

• Like 1

just out of curiosity on which server would you want to start that journey?

Experience like that can only be dreamed about now. I do wish I started many years ago, but nothing I can do with it.

Also pristine&release did offer a new chance.

When you were in cele, you just closed your eyes from the truth that people could offer you very good tools for a very reasonable price.

iirc you did have a +10s upkeep deed and a trader in it, but didnt want to use +50ql tools haha.

Making many of these threads per week, makes you seem like you are unhappy and want to change everything.

But I see that isnt true.

In some other games forums get +50threads a day, so your threads wouldnt stand out so much as they do here.

To be honest, I think you can be a role model and an inspiration for any new player - you started late, yet you made it big and you are indeed one of the top terraformers in the WURM world and also quite a rich person controlling a niche of the market. Well done there! And hat off to you! But... you also had the luck of having quite a lot of time at your disposal, a luxury not everyone has. :(

Somehow I am unhappy and I want to change everything... I admit it.

I'm not the kind of person trying to "adapt" and "accept", but instead try to "solve the problem" and "adapt the others to my vision" - lol.

And in this case, yeah, I think that if a group of people decide to deliberately ignore the older player and just try to live a "fresh experience", playing only by their own, they could experience somehow the pioneering period that was eight years ago or when P/R were released. :)

And I hope there are people thinking like this and I want to find those people and I want to "live my dream".

Will I fail? Probably. Will I only make more people hate me? Probably.

But still, I feel that I owe this to myself - to at least try to make my dream come true, not just adopt the attitude that "well, it would have been nice, but not possible... have to live with this".

Reason was not the price... but the fact that I wanted to do things by my own... not taking any shortcuts, but enjoy the extra challenge of having to work my as s out for every single tool and piece of gear.

I somehow deserve it... TBH I would probably hate myself - lol... I know I have strong opinions about things and weird points of views... and many of them are probably straight dumb or ridiculously.

What I don't understand is why people can't just ignore, of if they feel like entering a debate attack my ideas, not my persona...

• Like 1

just out of curiosity on which server would you want to start that journey?

I have a homestead on Exodus server ATM, but if I would find the right people, I would have no problem moving to other PVE server, if that's what those people would prefer.

Truth is that I always played my game without any of these shortcuts - I never bought any items (nor accepted any items as gifts) and I only used what ever I was able to craft with my (character's) own hands. And it was OK, I enjoyed every day of it and I saw my efforts showing better results (not just numbers in the skill tab) day after day.

I'm doing that in Serenity, with a village that was founded when everyone was almost same skill(5-10 points of differents). As we were looking only for newbies players.

I saw all the progresion, without buying a single thing, nor having a player with more than 10 skill in my trade.

And I discovered Wurm last winter/spring.

So didn't have to work too much to achive that, so I don't see why so many wall of texts all over Town Hall about it, was very easy for me.

And after reading your threads, I'm very sorry but I think that:

now everytime i see one of your topics i just wonder how you are going to profit from it.

And I play Wurm for fun, I pay IRL cash for good old premium. I don't buy silver, and I don't want to make IRL money with Wurm, I just wan't to have fun in my free time. I don't have any ulterior motive, or play with 46584279834 alts.

So, seriously, first time I play Wurm in Serenity, I got:

The chance to actually have a sense of progression through game the chance to actually have to do that in a community of people being in the same position, in a community of people that actually had to learn to work together in order to succeed.

Truth is that I always played my game without any of these shortcuts

what I really missed was the idea of a community

And ofcourse I spent the last two months in my smithery grinding my smithin skills(blacksmiths, wepsmith, armorsmith), providing all this goods for free, and my fellow citizens providing me with foods, fuel and ores.

And once again, I don't know why so many threads about the same thing, making it look like a impossible endeavour.

PS: kinda sleepy, sorry for grammar/syntax mistakes.

• Like 3

And once again, I don't know why so many threads about the same thing, making it look like a impossible endeavour.

Seems to me like every post is kinda the same thing she wants but different story over and over again..

Hello folks,

I have to admit. Ever since I start playing WURM I kinda hated the veteran, hardcore players.

But the problem was that I didn't know why. For a while I thought it is because of my competitive spirit (typical to any gamer, isn't it? :P) and for the fact that I knew that I could never close the gap between me - the new, casual player, and them - the old, hardcore playing veterans.

But this morning I realized it was not that. It was just envy. And not envy for what they have now, but envy for what they had when they started:

The chance to actually have a sense of progression through game - they were forced to start with wild horses, low quality armours and weapons, then they had the chance to celebrate the first one speeder, the first two speeder, and so on / the first time they managed to upgrade their armours and weapons to 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 quality, the first time they were able to kill a mountain lion, a spider, a troll, the moment when they were able to build their first boat or their first ship. And, even more, the chance to actually have to do that in a community of people being in the same position, in a community of people that actually had to learn to work together in order to succeed.

And you and other people could experience that on Pristine/Release(they opened a year ago) and Epic(opened two years ago) I'm pretty sure i've seen you playing around when they opened, why didn't you try them out? Even if you joined after they were opened they werent that new so you could have easily joined and took part in progression. Every few years, a new server opens, i wouldn't be so surprised if Rolf were to open another pristine/release type of server once they are connected.

Edited by atazs

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by sunsvortex, November 29, 2013 - OT
Hidden by sunsvortex, November 29, 2013 - OT

i have to say that i liked you when u first played on,but now everytime i see one of your topics i just wonder how you are going to profit from it.

and please stop pretending you are a casual player, nobody its buying it.

Tpikol, you`re my Religion :D

• Like 1

I need good tools to do all the stuff that needs to be done around my deeds, but out of the same sentiment Zapacila has, I always only use armour I craft.  I know I cant cover all aspects of the game, so I decided to keep a couple of skills "protected".   I dont buy armour, I dont buy arrows, I dont hire people to build or terraform.    But trying to produce everything yourself, is an exercise in frustration.   There is a comunity out there, almost every player dedicated to a diferent skill set, all waiting to trade, buy and sell they produce with players who have diferent skill sets.    Its the spirit of Freedom servers in my opinion.

• Like 1

You should go to Chaos and experience Wurm to its full potential. That would be a true pioneer experience.

You can choose to join one of the kingdoms, try to stay neutral, live as a hermit or get involved in the civil war between the few Freedom Isles settlements/tribes.

• Like 2

The game felt the way you described for me when I first started to play.

I never bought or got anything given to me and earned it all myself.

Buying tools and gear right from the start would to me render the game pointless.

• Like 1

You could make a "Small recruitment thread" without the wall of text and not flooding the forums. Just quietly go start, nothing is stopping you.

• Like 1

You could make a "Small recruitment thread" without the wall of text and not flooding the forums. Just quietly go start, nothing is stopping you.

I considered where to post this thread quite a lot.

First idea was, as you said, a recruitment thread, but I'm not really recruiting, but more like try to form an alliance, so not really falling under that category.

Second idea was to post on my server's section, but I'm not est on doing it here, but somehow willing to travel to other servers if I find the right people on there, so not falling under that category either.

• Like 2

You should go to Epic and experience Wurm to its full potential. That would be a true pioneer experience.

I totally agree!

OP, Roman's advice is nice too, still lots of firsts to be had on epic.

However, i completely understand you and to even give you more encouragement - - - Throughout the years that i have played the game, i have always seen a few players do absolutely everything by themselves, and what i came to notice is that those players typically have good silver income and typically have higher and more diverse skills than most.

Somehow I am unhappy and I want to change everything... I admit it.

I'm not the kind of person trying to "adapt" and "accept", but instead try to "solve the problem" and "adapt the others to my vision" - lol.

I somehow deserve it... TBH I would probably hate myself - lol... I know I have strong opinions about things and weird points of views... and many of them are probably straight dumb or ridiculously.

What I don't understand is why people can't just ignore, of if they feel like entering a debate attack my ideas, not my persona...

Hey, thats me too (almost as I don't want to adapt others but make them stop telling others how to play)! I wasn't going to reply but this just hit too close to home in how I feel about Wurm lately.

But I can't join your cause because my goal is to be solo as much as possible. I've also tried to start over and its not fun being a noob again, not fun at all.

I do think its funny how you are looking for like minded people and what you get is a bunch of people telling you how you should play instead.

Anywho, have fun on your journey Zapa!

• Like 1

Part of the reason I gave up on Wurm was due to the struggle to find an experience like this. The daily grind of sitting in a house for the purpose of maintaining your property and upping your skills drove me nuts. 

The idea of actually building up to something (not just specific skills) from the start with a group of people has always attracted me. Yet you will find it hard to keep people interested in this concept as everybody wants to have the best of the best and gets impatient.