Sign in to follow this  
ociam

New Player Seeking Organized Pvp Efforts - Is This Game Right For Me?

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to help me.

I just started playing on a Freedom server and have had some trouble understanding what to expect with pvp in this game.  As the title suggests I am really interested in a game like this if it provides the option of kingdom based, organized pvp.  I am not clear on the difference between Chaos server and Epic server pvp.  I have been told both have kingdom organization, but do not clearly understand the differences besides the fact that I can level up a character safely and then sail him to Chaos, while Epic requires me to level there from the beginning.

Please, if you can point me in the direction of where I can gain a better understanding of the differences and whether or not either option functions in a way that might be satisfying for me, I would greatly appreciate it.  If you have experiences with one or both please let me know your opinions also.  This game seems like it might have great potential for me to engage and enjoy or might be a complete waste of time that takes a great deal of time to reveal itself as such, and thus I have decided to look for some help before investing a lot of time.

Thank you!

- Ociam

EPIC

EPIC

Edited by Maozorz

There are a few differences worth noting.

In the first place Freedom is a lot older than Epic, and therefore many of the players are very far advanced in their character development. This tends to put new players at a fair disadvantage to begin with while they have to play "catch-up" . As you noted though - they do have a place to do that in Freedom here once they can handle the animal life it is otherwise safe until they want to try their hand in Chaos. The speed of skill gain in Freedom/Chaos is at the original pace.

Epic was introduced later and one of the main features is that it has both faster skill gain (x2), and many of your skills are on a "curve". This means that say you have an actual skill of 40 in something that is covered - it is effectively a skill of 64. There is a tool you can see correlations with: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24651593/Wurm/Curve%20Calculator/curve.html

Epic is set up with the main central PvP island of Elevation which is for premium players only, and has all the Kingdoms present, including PMKs (Player Made Kingdoms). As such it's supposed to be the main battleground, but that isn't always true. Both Chaos and Elevation have central areas where HOTA occurs every 36 hours. (Hunt Of The Ancients). This event is a competitive exercise that can (if people all attend) lead to inter- Kingdom PvP. Beside that group/single/whatever PvP can occur anytime/anywhere, and sometimes major raids on settlements also happen. 

Next to Elevation on Epic are 3 islands - one for each Kingdom. These are often the start zones for new players as they have somewhat more protection than a lot of Elevation does. PvP is still allowed, but enemy Kingdoms on other "home" servers receive a combat rating handicap which tends to even the odds a bit for the newer players. There are also extra protective rules on the home servers that supposedly prevent too much outright bloodshed and mayhem. That said - home servers are NOT completely safe in the sense that Freedom is. Deeds are raidable, people can be killed and looted by the enemy Kingdoms. The home servers are connected on the West, South and North sides of Elevation and you can sail from each to Elevation. You can only sail from home server to home server via Elevation.

Overall there IS PvP in Wurm, but it isn't always predictable as to how much. For some it works, while for others they would like a lot more.

I guess you won't usually know if it's enough for you unless you try.

One major thing about Wurm which is true everywhere for PvP - you really need to find a group you are comfortable with to team with. Some people play a solo kind of game, but basically PvP in Wurm is a team exercise that doesn't work solo at all. 

Edited by Heboric
  • Like 1

Both end of the spectrum it will take some time to become pvp viable. It will happen faster on epic. I started out on freedom then moved to chaos. I like to be able to go back n forth between the two .

It also needs to be said that Pvp in Wurm is absolutely nothing like pvp in most, if not all other, mmo's.

Briefly;

While most mmo's demonstrate pvp as a quick succession of intense ever repeating battles.

Wurm is much closer to simulating real-life ancient warfare, including all the politics, logistical problems and drudgery.

PvP in Wurm is all about playing the long game, it's not for everyone but you may just fall in love with it.

• Like 2

I think it should be mentioned that if you choose to live on Epic you may also be victim of catastrophes. There have been meteors creating deep pitches, destroying whole villages and months of effort. ;)

The Chaos / Freedom cluster, doesn't have any of these events.

Well, Chaos provides kingdom based combat. People live in villages that are part of a kingdom (MR/JK/BL/Freedom Isles).

There aren't major battles or events everyday, usually small battles with a couple of people involved, but major events do occur e.g. attacking deeds, destroying the whitelight in which 30-50 people participate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZqa2VaXtZ8#t=0

Edited by Bittereinder

It also needs to be said that Pvp in Wurm is absolutely nothing like pvp in most, if not all other, mmo's.

Briefly;

While most mmo's demonstrate pvp as a quick succession of intense ever repeating battles.

Wurm is much closer to simulating real-life ancient warfare, including all the politics, logistical problems and drudgery.

PvP in Wurm is all about playing the long game, it's not for everyone but you may just fall in love with it.

Pretty much this.

And join JK.